Miscarriages Community
Missed miscarriage and Misoprostol

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Missed miscarriage and Misoprostol

Hi! I had a missed miscarriage over a month ago, but my uterus continued to grow and I still appeared pregnant with no signs or symptoms of miscarriage. An ultrasound revealed there was no heart beat. My doctor gave me Misoprostol on Monday and I had some bleeding and light cramping, but only passed 2 penny sized blood clots. The second day everything stopped. I had to wait 72 hours before I could take another dose. So on Thursday I tried it again. Only this time I had a little heavier bleeding, not much more and the cramps were a little worse. But everything stopped that day and I don't think everything came out the way it was supposed to. I have to wait it out through this weekend and if nothing passes then I have to go in on Monday to have an ultrasound done and possibly a D&C. Does it sound like the meds worked or do you think I'll end up having to get the D&C done?
Sorry, it doesnt sound as if the meds worked. I was given misoprostol 2 weeks ago today for a missed miscarriage. About 3 hours after the meds I had very intense cramping and was passing large clots. Im still spotting 2 weeks later. Misoprostol doesnt always work.
Good Luck and sorry for your loss, Take Care and feel better
sorry about your loss. it could have worked. i took those pills twice. once i felt like hardly anything came out. the doc said the pills did almost all the work but not quite. it loosened all the lining but did not all come out. i had an easy d&c just to take out a tiny bit which was loose but still in there. so get checked and they will take care of anything the pill did not take care of. take care of yourself.
Thanks for commenting. I have no idea what to expect except what people are telling me from experience. The doctor is wanting me to go for an ultrasound Monday if things don't feel right. Take care.
Hi, I have just had a missed miscarriage, which was confirmed at 7wks and I waited for nature to take its course which started to happen last friday, with heavy bleeding and passing large clots.  On Saturday night I was given Misoprostol which kicked in during the early hours of Sunday and I passed a few more large clots.  It was only today, 7 days later that I have stopped bleeding.  The Dr thinks that it worked, but I'm also having an u/s on monday to check.  I definately passed lots of clots, some of them were about the size of my fist, and had lots of cramping and bled for a week.  I have had a D&C before and wish I'd done it this time to be honest.  Really sorry for your loss, I know you must be hurting loads.  Take care, be strong...