Miscarriages Community
cramping and bleeding

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

cramping and bleeding

My wife is 12 week's pregnant, just last night my wife started cramping and today my wife started to bleed. Are we in threat of a miscarige?
Yes, she should stay in bed or on the couch, only getting up to pee and to eat, and she should keep hydrated.  Those two things will calm uterine contractions if they can be calmed.

Thing to know is that if an embryo is determined to leave, it will leave, and no amount of maternal rest will help.  And most of the reason someone loses a pregnancy is going to be a flaw in the embryo, nothing the mom did.  

But if the bleeding is from something else, such as a torn blood vessel for example, walking around will agitate the uterus and encourage it to have contractions, and that does not help things.  Also dehydration can cause uterine contractions.  So this is why the doctor will recommend staying off her feet and staying hydrated.

If she begins to bleed so much that she is filling more than a maxipad an hour, or to have flooding such that every time she goes to the loo she loses a cereal-bowl of blood, and if she begins to get feverish or dizzy, she should be seen.  If this happens call her ob-gyn's after-hours line and ask if they want you to go to the ER, or just go to the ER.

If staying off her feet calms the contractions, and stops the bleeding, your wife can get up 24 hours after the bleeding stops.

The ER would not be able to stop a miscarriage that is caused by the embryo, but it will be able to monitor your wife if the bleeding simply is not stopping and is getting heavier.

I am sorry, it's frightening and there is little enough to do but watch and wait, and be ready to go for medical monitoring if her symptoms get worse.
You are only in danger if it's rly heavy bleeding with severe pain or spotting that is bright red. Brown or pink spotting or lite bleeding is normal in first trimester. I just had a mc last month. Rest n stay hydrated.
I never had heavy bleeding for anything.. I only had spotting and I had a miscarriage.. so everyone is different.. I was spotting for a week and it never got heavy... I would go to the er or the ob and make sure that everything is fine.. I won't wait if I was you... take her to the er or ob doc..