Multiple Sclerosis Community
Brain Zaps

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Brain Zaps

I may have posted this  question before but can not remember.

I have been having brain zaps here lately that are bothering me.

I have had very light brain zaps before my MS diagnosis and before any of the medications I am on now.

Can brain zaps be strictly MS related? I have read going off of an anti depressant can cause these zaps, but my meds have not changed at all. I am on Lexapro and have been on it for several months.

When I get a zap it affects my eyes. If I am looking at the TV screen my eyes move so that I have to look back at what I was looking at.

Any ideas?

LA
Hi, LA~

I would certainly speak with your neuro about it.  I would want an EEG or ENG done to make sure everything is hunky dorey.  I'm not saying anything is amiss, but have you been struck by lightning lately?

NO -- I'm just funning with ya!  I really think to set my mind at ease, if it's been going on this long, I'd ask if your doc would want to do an EEG or ENG, though to see what's up.  An ENG might explain the eye movements.  An EEG might address the zap sensations.

ASK!

Inquiring minds want to finally know.....

Feel well, and stay out of electrical storms,

Zilla*
No, no lightning lately! :)  

I will see my MS doctor next Friday and talk with her then.  I have been very busy getting adjusted to the new school year with 5 children and am stressed.

I am sure you understand.  I will post what my doctor says next week.

LA
Boy, do I understand....

Try to relax, and hang tight until your appointment.

Please let me know how it goes!  Write it down, so you remember to remember!  : )

Hugs,

Zil*
I forget things, too.  By brain zaps, do you mean lightning bolts of pain that run through you scalp, like along the cranial nerves?

I ask this, because my best friend gets these, and hers most likely originate from her cervical spine, which she just had an MRI of this morning.  Her X-rays show some serious degeneration, which can pinch the nerves that lead to the cranial nerves, or something like that.

Her zaps happen more often when she's stressed.

Just one more thing to consider besides lightening!  :o)

I hope your MS doctor can help you get to the bottom of this.  

Take care,

Kathy
Hi Kathy,
These zaps are not painful.  I have trigeminal neuralgia and those ARE painful!  If this helps any it feels like a mouse running from one side of my brain to the other!  :-)  Or a mable rolling across my brain.  HA!

I had c-spine done earlier this year and it looked good.

LA
Have you called an exterminator?

Z*
Ha! That might be a good idea!

LA
I for one have always admired your c-spine!

On the trigeminal note, mine does many different things.  

It has:
- hurt like H3LL!
- feels like a constant pressure days at a time
- tickles my face
- tingles my nose

Also, not sure if it is related but I also have sometimes on the same side:
- the inside "tube" of my ear goes numb
- on the outside of the actual ear it feels like someone is lightly pinching my ear between their thumb and index finger....
- pain, below, behind or above (slightly behind) the ear, but never at the same time
- burning sensation just above my forehead, just to the left of center about the size of a quarter...

Richard
OperaMBA
hello, just wanted to say I have read somewhere that those brain zaps ARE related to
TN,   I also have TN, just dx in april, and on my 2nd bout of it and I get those zaps also, kinda scary not knowing for sure, but I believe I read that on the TN page of this web site, It was a doctors answer to a question. Do you ever get a tender spot on your scalp?
I get it and was just wondering if anyone else with TN does.
let us know what the neuro says about it...
good luck and feel better
angie
Thanks for your responses.  I had not thought about TN being the problem until it was mentioned here.

A friend also mentioned L'hermittes.  That also makes sense to me because I  am getting these hard zaps mostly when I am sitting in my recliner.  When I rest my head on the head rest it pushes my head forward and my chin towards to chest.  

I have been trying to make sure my neck is not bent forward this evening and I am not having so much trouble.  So MAYBE that is it.  My friend also  said it sounds like I am in a flare.  That would make sense too because I am having some other pesky problems.

I see my MS doctor this coming Friday. She'll check me out from head to toe like always.  I think I might need to increase my Trileptal and/or Balcofen because my legs are DRIVING ME NUTS!!

LA