Multiple Sclerosis Community
Ms protocol

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ms protocol

Hi guys, I have to go for repeat mri's this year and want to make sure they are doing their best at looking to help find some answers to give me an explanation for all my symptons.
Anyway to cut a long story short I have read with interest the ms mri scan protocol.
I have rung the xray place where I go, they follow a ms protocol but couldn't tell me what it is, I can't find it and can't recall what it was, it was something about 300mm slices, if anyone knows can they let me know please.
I am going for repeat mri of brain and whole spine with and without contrast.
On my last 3 mri's the scan protocol says, post contrast T1 axial and coronal through brain and sagittal through the spine, another said brain - axial T1, T2 flair, Sagittal T2,   Spine - sagittal T1, and T2, axial T2, the third said axial T1, T2 FLAIR, sagittal T2,    Spine, sagittal T1 and T2
This means absolutely nothing to me, is this the correct ms mri protocol, any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi...I personally cannot answer your questions, but look on the Health Pages (see in the upper right hand corner) the Health Pages are listed with Discussions and Members.  

On the Health Pages Quix has explained MRI's and how they work.  You might find what you are looking for under "How MRIs Show Lesions in MS."

There are many interesting and informative topics there...written by our own dear Quix!

I hope this might help...

Wanna

***bump***
Thanks I will
I don't think I have ever spelled out the recommended MS MRI scan Protocol.  I have it printed out around here somewhere.  I'll see if I can put my hands on it.

The first two parts, though I remember

3mm cuts
Contiguous cuts, with no "skipping" of areas
Minimum 1T MRI strength

I'll be back with the recommended techniques and by which group made the recommendations that I have.  

Quix
Sorry if I steered you incorrectly.

Wanna
I came across this once while looking for something else and maybe it's what you're looking for:

www.mscare.org/cmsc/images/pdf/MRIprotocol2003.pdf

sho
I tried this and the whole thing wouldn't load, so then I just kept it at the main page. So what do I look for in the Site Index?

Thank you,

Suzanne
It loads for me. Just a little slow.

I googled it initially, but poking around, it seems to be linked to from:

http://www.****.org

(on two lines or tinyurl: http://****.com/6e3rux)

where it says English near the bottom of the page.

sho

PS I will try to write something on your PN thread later. I was told I had PN for almost 6 years before I went to a PN specialist who turned around and said I had MS.
This document is a great resource.

If I'm understanding it correctly, it is saying for MRI follow up of an established dx of MS, that the use of gadolinium is 'optional.'  

Does anyone know WHY this would be optional, once MS has been confirmed; and, what criteria would determine if the radiologist chooses to use contrast in such cases?

I did not have contrast for my last MRI and was concerned about having an incomplete picture.  I thought it was always perferable to use contrast for MRI's for MS as this is how one knows if there are any new/active lesions.  But perhaps my concerns were unfounded?

I have another MRI scheduled in two weeks and will be inquiring about this at that time.  But in the meantime if any of you know the answer, please share.

db
Thanks guys, will try to find the mri protocol and read up on before going for repeat mri's.
All my brain mri's have been done with/wo contrast.. First 20 min without then the 2nd half with gad.  Good luck to you.

S.
I have had 2 mri's lasts year of brain and whole spine, I'm sure I'm not in the mri for long at all, first they do spine then put the thing on my head for brain, I will have to take more note of the time next one I have,  I reckon I am in there for 20 mins to half hour max.
Both times the tech's told me how long it would take and it was about 45 min.  Didn't seem that long.  I also had my entire spine done at another time and that seemed to take longer.  If someone is claustrophobic I would imagine it would seem endless, hope you're not.
No I have both done within about 30 minutes if that, I wonder why mine is so quick when other are in the machine for up to an hour???????????????
I get the spine done, then next they do brain then bang all over, although the first 2 I did not get contrast and the 3rd being so close to the 2nd the radiologist only did contrast.
But before going for next one I am going to look right into mri protocol.
I don't know why the use of gadolinium in a follow-up MRI would be optional. If you find out, let us know.

When I found this site, it was around the time I was having my first follow-up MRI. My neuro said he wanted to see if there were any changes so I couldn't understand why he didn't want to do the spine since that's where most of my lesions are (It seemed to me that if there are only a few spots on my brain after all this time, how likely would more be to suddenly show up after six months??). When I asked him, he said if I was getting more/bigger lesions in the spine, there would be effects and I would know. As far as I can tell, what he was mainly interested in from the follow-up MRI was whether or not there were any "silent lesions" in the brain that weren't causing me problems and wouldn't show up in the exam.

He did do the gadolinium, though.

So maybe if you ask your neuro, you can get some kind of reasonable explanation.

sho