Multiple Sclerosis Community
OBands showing in LP results and blood tests?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Well I spoke to my GP today about my LP results and she explained that I had OBands showing in my LP results, but corresponding blood test at the time too? She said that to get a result for MS you can only have the bands in the spinal fluid not the blood. So I asked well what does it mean then, she said it shows inflammation but it is finding out where it is coming from?

I had a few OBands.

So if it isnt MS then what is it. Every test there is always something but just not enough. I mean I had a positive VEP, stuff on MRI, last MRI showed an ARC according to the radiologist but my neurologist wasnt convinced as was sure it was showing a lesion.

Could the bands then and the blood show autoimmune disease? Could it show I do have Lupus, I did have one positive ANA or whatever they call it.

OR could I still have MS. I mean my illness is progressively getting worse why cant something just SHOW UP really strong its always just there but not fully.

Sigh I am so fed up of not getting answers.

Anyway I shall ask my neurologist on Monday if it is time I now saw the rheumatologist and I was wondering if I should push for another spinal MRI as the last one was showing something he thought.

All this bands is so confusing LOL.
I had 12 O band in CSF none in blood. I had a positive ANA. To rule out Lupus they do an anti DNA which for me ruled out Lupus. They used a weaker MRI and hardly anything has shown up. So it took two years 4 neurologists. Lots of blood tests.

I know you are frustrated I sure was my two years before a diagnosis of MS.

Hang in there

Alex
Hi there,

Well, I'm glad you talked to the GP.  It will be up to the neuro to find the source of the banding, or refer you to someone who can.  

They typically rule out the CNS as an origin if they find the same exact banding in the blood serum.  

I'm not very versed in all the potentials --but will do some digging see what I can come up with.  

For Monday, maybe you can ask the neuro what has been "ruled out" so far.  Is this the Dr. you were going to see next month? I didn't think the appt. was so close.

ttys,
shell
I would suggest you get a copy of your LP report as it looks like there is more than meets the eye here.  

For example, your OCB results showed bands even if there they were also in the serum it is still not normal to have 2 or more bands in your fluids unless something is going on.  Your results of having 2 bands in the serum and in the CSF measn that you must have had a systemic inflammatory episode at the time.  They call it a "mirror pattern".  But, the question is if those serum and CSF bands were in displayed in "exactly" the same position when they did the parallel study.  Doc Quix brought this up with me when I asked a similar question.  

Still there is something that cuased those bands to show up and if you google it you will hopefully find more information on the mirror pattern results.  I tried for like an hour to find something for you, but couldn't. I know it is out there becasue I saw it at one time.  Maybe someone here who is better at researching stuff on the internet can help out.

Anyway, I would be interested to see how the other LP tests came out like your protein level, IgG levels, glucose, etc.  If you can get the entire report that would be good to have in your records but also it may have some information in there that can help pin this issue down at least from the possible MS perspecitve.

Take care and I'm glad to see you posting again.  

Julie
I got the same results from my LP: "multiple o-bands in CSF and serum", the rest MS panel results were normal. MRI (head, neck, soft tissues) and CT scans are normal. Lab cannot determine origin for o-bands, so no diagnosis so far. My neurologist did a EEG, Nerve Conducting Study and a Neuro (memory test) and will give me results in 2 months. Long wait.
Does anybody have a diagnosis? Please respond. It's difficult to have information for multiple obands present in serum and CSF.  So far rheumatologist ruled out lupus, arthritis, Sjogren and fibromyalgia and he suggested further study for a neurological demyelinating disease.
Hi crm - This thread is 4 years old and some of the folks may no longer visit. You might want to post a new question and introduce yourself. We don't bite :-)

As to O-bands, for there to be an indication of MS there need to be o-bands in the CSF but not in the serum. Or significantly more in the CSF than in the serum. I'm not sure what it means if there are the same number of o-bands in both.

Kyle
Thanks for your response. I already posted a new question.