aCL and aPL ?
Hi friends,
        We've recently posted the importance of ruling out mimics for the dx of MS, and one of those mimics includes Hughes and having an aPL blood test done.
        My question is, if aCL is run and not an aPL, does that accomplish what the physician is looking for in terms of ruling in/out the possibility of hughes or diagnosing APS?
         Or, do both of these tests need to be run?

Part of the reason I'm asking is because of the info I found via this link (if you have a problem w/the link, let me know, and I'll post the text, it's not lengthy):  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=15219190&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

SL
I'm still not totally sure what the whole panel of AntiPhospholipid testing does or does not include.  I've read a bunch of stuff and it isn't clear.  From what I have gleaned a simple aCL would not be sufficient, but is important to run.  (I ran the link, and it was fine, but the abstract was not very clear - to me).  I'll keep looking.  It's still a new topic for me.

Quix
Thanks for researching Quix. I too, have had trouble wrapping my head around it all, but have drawn some conclusions as to why they do it, however, like you said, it's not clear cut.

I am putting in a call to my Neuro's office ref it.  I feel hesitant to even ask him, considering I'm pretty much on the eve of starting the shots (Monday) and can't stop myself from digging. I hope he's not offended.  

Additionally, from that link, there are some good abstracts on the right side that I found interesting as well, i.e. PT times, the aPL, MS and and APS diagnosis and various studies.

I'll pass on any info if it's of interest or importance to the forum.

SL