Neonatology Expert Forum
severe antithrombin III deficiency

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

severe antithrombin III deficiency

Please any help with this is urgently wanted!
I am now 21 weeks pregnant and at 18 weeks found I have this antithrombin III deficiency. I have preiously had a DVT in my leg after ankle surgery in 2008. I was put on 40mg Clexane Injections a day and told to come back in the following week for another test. The second test came back with no change so they put it to 80mg per day and told me to come back two weeks later. I had my test again on Tuesday and have been told these injections have not changed my AT III levels at all and they are really low readings. I am now waiting to hear back from the hospital to find out what the next steps are but this could take another week. (UK NHS is so slow!!)
No one has told me in the mean time what the risks are to me but more importantly what risks this has to my unborn baby??
I feel like im lost with no answers and urgently need help Please!!!
Mothers who have conditions that predispose to clotting disorders have an increased risk of miscarriage.  You should discuss this issue with your physician the next time you have an appointment with your Obstetrician or Perinatologist.
Please email me at your earliest convenience.  I have ATIII deficiency and carried a healthy baby to full term.  I may have some helpful information for you.  Email me at  ***@****.

In the meantime, you need to be taking vitamin E and fish oil -- tons of it (and the good expensive fish oil) like it's going out of style.  Order fresh salmon as an appetizer every chance you get.  It will give you enough AT to squeeze by (I am NOT doctor, mind you) until you get into see a real doc and can decide upon a reasonable therapy.  Time is absolutely of the essence.  FYI, Lovenox did not work for me after 1st trimester . . . long story but you should know it, as it might be yours as well.  Email me.  
Oops.  My email address didn't go through.  Let me try again.  thelawyermom at gmail(dot)com