Neonatology Expert Forum
size of lateral ventricle during 24th week

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

dear sir,,

for my baby the lateral ventricle is slightly big as 10.07 as left side, and right sibe was 9.67. in this case if any problem in future for my baby.
Ventriculomegaly (enlargement of the fluid filled spaces in the brain) with a measurement in the lateral ventricle of 10 mm can be normal if the ventricle does not continue to enlarge and no other abnormalities are found.

The size of the ventricle is usually followed using more ultrasounds to evaluate for any continuing change in size.  Ventricular size may decrease, remain the same, or increase as the pregnancy progresses.  If the size of the ventricle stays stable or decreases, your baby is unlikely to have any problems.  If the ventricular size increases, the risk for long term neurodevelopmental problems increases.
A related discussion, Week 24 Ventricale size was started.