Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Positional Headaches

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Positional Headaches

I can't lay down, lean my head back in a recliner, recline on the couch, etc. with my head hurting.  Whatever part of my head touches the pillow, chair, etc. will start to hurt.  Usually within a minute.  As soon as I change positions, the previously affected part will cease to hurt(usually within a few minutes), but the new area will start hurting.  Lying down or slightly reclined; it does not matter.  Whatever part of my head that is touching something else will start to hurt.  I do not sleep due to the need to constantly roll over.  I am constantly fatigued.  I have NO energy.  This has been ongoing for many years and I need to get it resolved.  I am a 44 year-old male.  I have IBS, highblood-pressure, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, and ruptured cervical disks(4-5, 6-7...I think).  Can you help?  Please?
Dear Friend,
I took time to answer your question as i was doing the research on the same.
Actually these sort of symptoms are present in 0.01% of the population and are generally related to hypersensitivity.
I would suggest you to -
1) Relax and destress,
2) Use a real soft pillow while sleeping.
3) Avoid using the painful region too much.
4) Investigate in the form of CT scan/MRI, if the symptoms persists instead of taking these many precautions.

I hope i have provided you with an easy resolution.
If still  doubts persists,please feel free to discuss.

Regards...
I have tried virtually every pillow know to man.  The "painful region" is whatever side I am lying on. So avoiding the "painful region" is impossible.  CT scan, MRI, and even a nuclear scan have revealed nothing abnormal.
To reduce your head pain do these yog pranayam (breathing exercises) everyday.You will see the benefits within days.Continue the exercise once a day, after you are better.Initially do anulom vilom and bhramri for two weeks and then do all the pranayam.Come back to report your progress.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 20 times

Continue the pranayam once a day, after you are better.