Neurology Expert Forum
2ND SPINAL FUSION

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

2ND SPINAL FUSION

I am a 31 year old female nonsmoker. In 1997 I had L4-5 and L5-S1 discectomy with L4 to sacrum fusion (using doner bone and bone from my hip). I was told I had bilateral L5 pars decects along with of course disc herniation. (spondylolisthesis as my dr also called it). My question is this a few months ago I was in volved in a car accident and hit from the rear. (which totaled my car) Now I have been have lots of pain. I had and MRI,CT, AND MILOGRAM. Reslults were mild disc buldging  s2-3, L4-5 broad soft disc protrusion w/ later recess inpingement  right sided as well as some right foremen inpingement by osteophyte, & facet arthropathy. Post operative findings L5-S1 w/ dorsal laminectomy & posterior fusion. Facets are fused and the fusion mass apprears solid below te level of the disc space. It is not totally solid above. My question is my Neruo surgon says the fusion is solid below and broken above- non union. Could this breakage be due to the car wreck since I had xray's for 1 year post surgery and nothing was ever said about the fusion not taken. Yes I had some (pain) mostly ach post activity wich I was told was normal Now I am in Pain all the time. My Dr now wants to send me to some one who specialises in complicated surgerys and backs to do surgery again with possible instrumations. He also says I have a verry unstable spine. What is the success rate given the previous information above?
Thanks for any help or advise you can give me.
HOlly
The indications for repeat surgery and the success depend on your findings and imaging tests. Without reviewing this information I can not quote you a success rate. I would encourage you to seek a second opinion at a large academic spine center. Then can review your history, exam, and tests, and then make the proper recommendations. Good luck.
another question I did not ask before- above.
Before I have this surgery again do you suggest I ask my
doctor any questions I may not have thought of or what I might
need to get a better understanding of. The only thing the doctor has said about this surgery is it will be much more complicated and the surgery done in 97 was/is outdated. This time I will have to have instruments. Cages and rods were mentioned. Is there somewhere I can go on the internet to find out more information on this?
Thanks for any advise or help.
HRB
Hi Hrb,

I just wanted to say that I am sorry that you need to have this surgery again. I also had a posterior lumbar fusion last year on levels L4, L5, S1. My neuro surgeon has used disc spacers, rods and screws. I did not have cages and from what I have read on the internet usually when a patient requires cages then it is an anterior fusion meaning through the front. I read much information on a site called spineuniverse. Again, I wish you the very best.
A related discussion, Excercise was started.