Abnormal MRI/White Spots/Lesions
Hello! I had an event where I got dizzy, had blurred vision, then a grey-out, numbness under my nose continuing to my lower lip. The next day, my left arm went numb. I had an MRI of the brain then a few days later had it repeated with contrast due to changes of prior lesions (from migraines?), an MRI of the spine with and without contrast. Ultrasound of the carotid arteries, blood work, and a VER (visual evoked response) test. Everything came back looking normal except the MRI due to "white spots that appeared different than past MRIs". My doctor wants to repeat the test in 6 months to see if they get larger or change. Unfortunately the nurse rushed off the phone line so I couldn't think quickly enough to ask questions in this regard. What can these 'white spots' be and what can cause them? My mom has a history of what was earlier thought of Inflammation of the Brain and vision impairment. She had every test known to man and this was the diagnosis. Her doctor now wants her to test for MS. She doesn't want to go through more tests. I'm just a bit concerned as to what could be causing my MRI to appear abnormal and the numbness comes back periodically in my left arm. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.
Hi.

These white matter lesions are presently non-specific, meaning, they don't portend to any specific diagnosis for now.  However, these may be early changes for the diagnosis of demyelinating conditions such as multiple sclerosis.  Sometimes, the true MRI features of MS will still become evident as the disease progresses, and I believe this is the reason why your doctor wants to have the tests done after a period of time (6 months).  For now, it is best that you have adequate rest and avoid too much stress.

Regards and God bless.
Thank you so very much for your post! I am getting quite a bit of rest as I am experiencing a large decrease in energy. Stress is a bit less easier to manage due to my career; but am working on it. If I may ask another question...my neurologist suggested that I also see a GP and run through some cardiac testing. I haven't done this as of yet due to all of the other tests taken...would you recommend that I go ahead with that suggestion as well? I'm worried that I'll appear to be a hypochondriac!

Thank you again for your time!
Warmest regards and blessings.
.My 74 year old Dad had an MRI showing 12 white spots, pin hole sized ontop his brain. He has high blood pressure,adult diabetes on medication. He shakes alot when excerted,but not at all when rested.He is not over wieght.  He gets upset when he is confused and does have mask-like facial features occasionally. His blood pressure and diabetes are high in the morning but go down later in the day. His doctor upped his blood pressure meds and he is normal there now. They are taking more tests  and suggest he add asprin to thin his blood. What can he do to prevent stroke and further brain damage???
Check out my post above. I am new at this. What is normal in a 70 year old for white spots.
His father died at 55 from heart attack, his mother at 54 from breast cancer. His brother lived to81 with lung cancer from smoking, he does not smoke. This guy with about 14 whites spot has had bad kidney stones since 25 years old; again aside from the obvious what can he do to prevent a stroke. I am following in hid genetic footprints??????
What can younger people do to prevent stroke???