Neurology Expert Forum
All these symptoms but no answers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

All these symptoms but no answers

For the last 3 years I have suffered with moderate pain in my arms and legs and fatigue. I have had dizzy spells that come and go. I also have episodes of severe Vertigo that leaves me bedridden for several days (this happens only once a year). I have been tested for RA, Fibro, and any otherthing that can be tested by blood. About 7 months ago we moved and I got a very  stressful new job. I started having increased dizzy spells, almost fainted several times and some pretty serious congnative issues. I lost my job but chalked it up to stress. I immediately got a new job, one that I have experience doing and things started getting back to normal. Over the last 3 months all the pain in my limbs has come back to the point that I couldn't even walk long enought to get groceries. My ankles and feet feel swollen and painful but they are not swollen. On May 17th I woke up with blurry vision. Over the next several days my vision was so bad I could no longer read and lost my depth perception. I had several minor traffic accidents and felt like I was on drugs. The cognitive difficulties made it very difficult to fuction. I ended up in the ER where they did an MRI.They told me everything looked fine except for a few specks of plaque on my brain. They told me to see a doctor. I have had several other tests since then, an visual evoked potential, eye test and been on steriods for 2 weeks. Everything got back to normal except my vision, I still had blurry spots and some dizziness. 2 weeks after I stopped taking the steriods everything came back...worse than before. I am on the verge of loosing this new job because I cant get my head around the simplest tasks. I have trouble spelling and paperwork makes me so dizzy. My eyes hurt so bad and they are dry. The neurologist says my tests are normal but my M.D., says he thinks it is MS. I am so confused because I am not normal, something has to be done. Help please!!
Amy, I'm not a doctor just a "regular" person, but your story intrigued me because aside from the extreme dizziness (mine is mild) and the eye problems, I have the same symptoms gradually progressing for years.

From your description, it really sounds like MS from everything I've read about it, but it may also be another central nervous system disorder (ie. sarchoidosis of the spine, or other).  You may need an MRI of the spine to check for lesions, and it may be time to seek out a new neurologist.
Thank you. I am getting a second opinion from a new Neurologist. The first Neurologist performed the initial tests 2 months ago but I have not had a follow-up appointment, just the phone call from his receptionist saying tests were normal. My MD was not pleased and is going to also push for answers. It is so frustrating to not have anything to tell my employer or family.