Neurology Expert Forum
Brain feel like it is shaking, Doctors haven't been able to help

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Last year I had an episode of "falling down", went to the doc. and did an MRI, which showed some light spots on the brain, and was immediately diagnosised with MS.  After seeing a neurologist and having multiple test including a spinal tap.  They said it was not MS.  My symptoms went away.  In March, I started having the feeling that my brain was shaking feriously. When this happens it drops me to the ground and everything around me spins for a little while.  The shaking only last about 1 minute and the dizziness last for about 5 minutes.  This has now happened almost every week.  I have gone through ekg, eeg, mri, ent specialist.  They have found nothing.  We know that it is not MS, or BPV.

The episodes are distressful not only physically but emotionally.  I have young children, must work.  What if this should happen when I am driving or out.  It definately has recked havoc with my emotions.  My question to you is simple, is there anyone else that has this symptom?  Doctors just say well "that's weird" I am going to a top facility in Wisconsin. And no one has ever seemed to have heard of this happening before.  Please let me know if others have experienced this, and what could it be and what course of action do I take next?
I cannot give you a formal medical opinion over the internet unfortunately as this site is purely educational

dropping to the ground ?without losing consciouness can be a feature of catalepsy - part of the diagnosis of narcolepsy and excessive sleepiness. There is usually an emotional trigger then a loss of tone and fall. Diagnosis is with a MSLT test (multple sleep latency test).

Cardiac rhythm causes are something to think about too and this can be tested for with a holter or event monitor.

A normal regular EEG does not ruleout epilepsy - an EEG recording as an event is happening (either in the videoEEG monitoring unit or in a tilt table test) can exclude this diagnosis. If an episode is recorded, and there is no abnormality on the EEG, another important and treatable possibility to consider is non-epileptic seizures caused by stress.

Good luck
I have experienced what you are describing, but to a much lesser extent.  My experiences have not been anywhere near as "violent" as yours.  It has happened 3 - 5 times in about the past 2 months and has always occurred when I am waking up in the morning.  It last just a few seconds, maybe 2 to 3.  It is difficult to describe, but it is similar to when I have a big yawn and at the end of the yawn my upper body may shake (which is normal).  The shake is like that except is in my brain.  It doesn't hurt and the last time it happened I made sure I could move, which I could.  At first I thought I may be having a small siezure.

I am going to make an appointmemt to see a neurologist because I have also been having some muscle twitches which occur mainly at night.  They don't happen every night--maybe 2 -3 nights a week--that I am aware of.  They just started a few weeks ago.  My right eyelid has been twitching for a while now, but my FP dismissed it as probably too much caffiene, which is probably right.  

Within the past few weeks I also feel like my arms have weakened.  They also have begun to feel real "heavy".  My shoulders "burn" when I fold clothes.  I am 44 and I am hoping I am just getting old and out of shape, but my Dad had ALS so I am nervous that I am getting it--I have read that there is a 10% chance of getting it if your parent had it.  I know it is a small chance, but I have begun to get nervous with each twitch and I think it will be best just to get it checked out.

I hope this helps you out.  The good thing for you is that you don't have any other symptoms and if the testing doesn't show anything I think that, in itself, is a good sign.
Carrotseed, 44 is not old, just in the prime, thanks for the advice, hope you receive the answers that you are looking for.
I have had my shaking brain wake me in the middle of the night.
Since I have had heart problems I keep nitro on hand.I would take that and I could go back to sleep.I have asked my doctor and she dosen't seem very worried about it.But it is scarry when it happens.I hope someone has an answer out there
A related discussion, FEELING LIKE SKULL SHAKING was started.
A related discussion, how about this.... was started.
A related discussion, Brain Shakes was started.