Neurology Community
Bruising and numbness around the bruise

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bruising and numbness around the bruise

About a week ago, I tripped on the stairs and caught the front of my shin on the edge of a step. Though the bruise I got was small, the area around the bruise swelled up anyway. Now I am noticing that if I run my fingertip over the bruise, it feels like I am touching a spot several inches to the right of where I am actually touching. Though I can feel the touching on my bruise, the spot to the right where I get that odd touching sensation is actually numb when touched directly. It feels kind of like your foot when it goes totally asleep. Is this something that will likely just go away? Could it get worse?
Hello Dawn166
It seems to be some nerve injury causing the numbness.You should consult an orthopedic physician and get an evaluation done.There could be some ligament or tendon sprain with the nerve entrapment which requires complete evaluation.
Best
Hi, this could be due to swelling only, try anti inflammatory drugs along with ice compressions. Also, keep your limb elevated during sleep (put cushion under leg). I hope you are not on aspirin tablets.

What about X ray, was any hair line fracture observed on X ray?
Thanks for the advice. I'll make an appointment in a day or so if this doesn't get any better. I hadn't seen a doctor about it at all, so I don't know about a hairline fracture. I haven't been taking aspirin, as I know that can make bruises worse. I was icing it, but not elevating it when I slept. I'll do that now too and see if it helps.
I have a similar bruise from motorcycling.  I went to urgent care and he said it was just from the swelling that I was numb, and wasn't even concerned enough to check that bruise out (I had several others from 3 crashes that day)  I wouldn't worry too much.