Neurology Expert Forum
Burning sensation in my pointing finger

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning sensation in my pointing finger

I get alot of pain when this accures in my pointing finger. It starts in the knukle of my poniter finger and then the burning sensation starts. It does this about a few times in the day. When I go to use that finger it also starts. What could be causing this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If your symptoms are limited to your index finger and the base of the joint at the palm (knucle) , the most likely cause is a musculoskeletal problem, such as tendonitis or bursitis, which is often due to mild trauma or over-use and improves with time and rest and anti-inflammatory medications.

However, neurologic possibilities, though less likely given your symptom description, include radiculopathy and carpal tunnel.

The spinal cord is encased by bones called vertebra. Nerves start to form as they come off the spinal cord and exit through holes formed between the vertebra. If a nerve is compressed on as it exits through these holes, particularly in an area called the nerve root, a radiculopathy results. The compression could be due to arthritis of the spine or due to a herniated disc or other lesions. The symptoms include pain at the level of the problem (i.e. neck or back etc) and pain that may radiate down the arm or leg (depending on where the problem is), including pain radiating to the hand or finger as in your case. In more advanced cases, muscle weakness or sensory symptoms such as tingling or numbness may occur. A radiculopathy is often diagnosed based on history, physical examination, and MRI of the spine. However it sounds like your symptoms are triggered by finger movement so this makes radiculopathy less likely.

The carpal tunnel is the area in the wrist that the median nerve passes through. If the median nerve is compressed in the carpal tunnel, it can cause symptoms in the first three digits of the hand most often, but in some patients shooting pains can occur all the way up to the elbow. The symptoms are often worst at night. Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by repetitive movements at the wrist like typing. Treatment includes wearing a wrist brace and in severe cases surgery.

I recommend follow-up with your primary doctor (family physician or internist) if your symptoms do not improve.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
I've gone through 6 round of chemo and 6 round of radiation and 2 rounds of internal radiation. Since I had chemo I noticed that my fingers, toes and foot would feel numb.
I was told to take vit. B12 and also B6 and that would help with this, but I've been taking these for a long time and I still have numbness and burning sensation.
Is there something else I should take.

Thank you