Neurology Expert Forum
CT Scan for constant dizziness?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CT Scan for constant dizziness?

Hi,i was wondering is it safe and necessary to request a CT scan for the head? its been a year,i been having this daily lightheaded and palpitations at times,i did a complete cardiac workup,echo,stress test and 24 hr holter where i was told by the cardiologist all is normal.I have seen a neurologist where she just did a simple arm and leg strength test and said it dosent seems like anything serious with the brain,they however said its not necessary for a CT scan.So shuld i push for a ct scan or go back to the cardiologist for more cardiac testing followup? My dizziness is a lightheaded type and at times just felt like would pass out but never.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Dizziness can be from different causes (i.e., room spinning sensation likely indicating the inner ear, imbalance, or lightheadedness). The lightheaded form of dizziness can be from low blood pressure such as due to dehydration or autonomic dysfunction, cardiac problems, and several other non-neurologic causes. Anemia can cause light-headedness as well. Have you had your carotids evaluated? Have you had orthostatic vitals taken? Do you have numbness or tingling in the extremities? Have you had a complete blood workup?

Additionally, anxiety can cause a sense of dizziness but also can cause heart palpitations, muscle tension, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, and GI symptoms such as diarrhea to name a few.

A CT scan of the head would be very low yield for dizziness workup. An MRI of the brain would be of higher yield, but only if clinically indicated. You should continue working with your cardiologist and neurologist. The etiology of your lightheadedness may take time to discover.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
HI,thanks for the reply.
I did have a complete blood count test,was told red blood cells were in the normal range so they said it might not be anemia.wat do u mean by the ct scan of the head would be very low yield for dizziness work up ? is it the chance of finding out any abnormalities using a ct scan is lower? MRI would be better ?