Neurology Expert Forum
Can anyone help??

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can anyone help??

Hi there, I feel that I am being given the run around by my daughter's doc's. She hasd been diagnosed with epilepsy since Feb. has left hemilpegia and a dislocated hip she also has developmental delay. 2 months ago we were told that our daughter had polymicrogyria but now that is thought not to be the case nobody will tell me yet what is wrong I've heard it mentioned that they think she had a stroke in the womb. could anybody tell me what the following may mean I have googled but have turned up nothing concrete.

"This showed a small right cerebral hemisphere with enlargement of the right lateral ventricle and atrophy of the right side of the brain stem.The left cerebral hemisphere appeared normal. The appearances were felt more likely to represent a destructive than a developmental process."
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is always difficult to comment on neuroimaging reads without the ability to examine the images myself. It sounds like the cerebral hemispheres are asymmetric with the right one being smaller than the left. This may be from development or from injury. Given that the ventricles are larger on the right, it would seem that the brain parenchyma may have had an injury. This reasoning is based on the Monro-Kellie doctrine which states that the cranium is incompressibile and the volume inside the cranium is fixed. Any change in one component (e.g., CSF, brain, or blood) will cause a reflex change in the other. Thus, in the case you present, an injury to the brain will cause shrinkage of that component and reflexively increase another component (i.e., CSF causing ventricular enlargement).

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
A related discussion, Right Cerebral hemisphere Smaller was started.