Neurology Expert Forum
EMG Question

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

EMG Question

Thank you for answering my question.  I have been having muscle twitches now for almost a year.  They began during my pregnancy last January during a bad bout with the flu and move all over.  They are mostly in my feet, calves but also sometimes in my hands.  I currently have a "hot spot" in my right foot that has lasted two weeks.  I can see the twitch and when it spasms hard I can see all of my toes move.  It does not hurt but it sure is annoying.  In August my Neuro gave me a mostly left sided EMG.  The needle portion was normal but on both legs I had one area in both of my calves (the same nerve in each calf) that tested "slightly slower than normal" on the Nerve Conduction Study.  She did not seem concerned.  She ruled out MS (2 normal Cranial and cervical MRIs over the last 2 years with & without contrast) and ALS.  She said my normal neuro exams over the past 1 1/2 years and the needle portion being normal did not mean ALS.  She said it was BFS and to wait it out.  What does a slow nerve on a NCS mean and why would it be on both legs.  Could this be causing my feet to twitch or is it just anxiety/BFS?  Also - my Neuro worked up extensive bloodwork (lupus, Vitamin B....) and all was normal.  Thank you for your help!
Nerve conduction studies test the integrity of your nerves and how fast or slow the message is carried from the starting point to the end.  If it's testing strength, then the direction is from the spinal cord to the body part, and if it's sensory then the direction is the opposite.  If the message is slow, it could mean a number of things, but does not really relate to the BFS or the symptoms you're experiencing.  It just means that for some reason, the message isn't carried at a normal speed because of things like diabetes, trauma,vitamin deficiencies, hereditary problems, electrolye abnormalities, and in the case of carpal tunnel syndrome - pregnancy can be the cause of slowed responses. I would not be too concerned about it especially if you are not having any symptoms of pain, numbness and weakness - just the twitches.  If you are really worried, then consider a repeat nerve conduction test down the line, Hope that helps.
I forgot to mention that I am worried about ALS because she did not do a needle exam on my right foot.  Thank you!