Neurology Community
Eagle Syndrome treatment?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Eagle Syndrome treatment?

Topic: Eagle Syndrome.
39 year old Male.

After suffering from TMJ most of my life, I now have Eagle Syndrome to add to my list of jaw pain origins. I agree with the gentlemen in the previous thread. There's next to nothing when it comes to research and viable treatments. I've exhausted the internet. Most sights are merely repetitive mirrors of others offering nothing more than the standard definition. Even my Dr. who I respect greatly is at a loss for treatment options. In my case the Eagle syndrome and TMJ feed off one another culminating in excruciating pain. A feeling of a railroad spike hammered into my jaw combined with a very swollen and sore lymph node. Fortunately the pain is only on the left side of my face. In addition of trying to persuade a specialist to come out and offer his / her advice to me I’d also like to offer up the only thing I’ve found to alleviate the pain. Muscle relaxers – strong ones like Soma. While I do not like the drugged up feeling Soma initially hits me with it is far better than the pain. I tried pain killers – zero effect. If you’re a Doctor in the know about Eagle Syndrome please take a moment to offer up your experience. While this is a rare affliction it is very painful and frustrating.

Thanks,
Michael

This discussion is related to Eagle Syndrome.
I just had 1.5 CM of my styloid (ligament, bone, whatever) removed yesterday during a tonsillectomy.  I have TMJ as well.  My surgeon was really good and we had been suspecting Eagles Syndrome as a source of my pain. I told him that if he saw it sticking out while doing the tonsillectomy (to remove some calcifications) to go ahead and lop it off - which he did. He gave me the bone as a souvenir. Looks like half of a really thick toothpick - about 1.5 CM long. I can't tell how much better I feel so far because I'm still recovering from my tonsillectomy but I swear I think I feel better already. I have had massive problems in my jaw - facial pain, jaw pain, tooth pain, neck pain, throat pain, ear pain and headaches. Plus ringing in my ear. I'm hoping this relieves some of it.
To: Erin369

I have had Eagles Syndrome and TJM for over 30 years. I have gone to many doctors that apparently just doesn't want to get involved or doesn't know anything about the problem. Just recently I posted on this site and got a reply from scpearl who has had surgery at Emory Hospital. I had a consultation with the doctor from Emory and I am having surgery for Eagles Sydrome Jan.26,2009 this month.
My symptoms are chronic headache, piercing earache, pain of the thoart, mouth and trouble swallowing. I have clicking, ringing in my ears. burning and stinging in my mouth and tongue. I have been surfering with these symptoms for over 8 years. Have been on didn't meds like anti seizures med, pain relievers, acupuncture. I can't really remember what all I have tried. But I have all the pain and symptoms plus  more than mention on this forum. As of this moment my pain is terrible and I have taken meds about 2 hours ago.I too have GERD which I think the Eagles Sysdrome is causing. The pain is in my ears,neck head and even down my right shoulder. However I do have the Eagles on both side but the right is worse. It is efffecting my vision now and I stay sick to my stomach 24/7. Thought it might be due to meds but no they aren't the problem.
Wish I could have had the surgery years ago but I grateful to find a doctor that is willing and does know what Eagles Syndrome is.
Just wanted to let you know that there are other and you are not alone with this mystery problem. I think there is more awareness about it now than ever before.
My surgery is in 13 days and my only fear is that I will be in worse pain after. Willing to try it because this has dominated my life for the last 8 years. I had to quite working,a Hairstylist for 22 yrs. I am comfined to my home an do not get out but one a month to go to my doctor.
Through God will and His mercy this surgery is going to make a better life for me. Need your prayers.

We're not alone,
Mini788
Wow,, I also have GERD and Eagles, and one side of my face more bothersome than the other, pain in the eye, numbness on side of jaw, I take Nexium but i am having so much heart palpations and when my jaw acts up I put a hot pack on it and then my BP goes up also. I am getting dizzy lately and have had this problem since July of 2009, My doctor says that people do have this but it is affected by a fall. I fell in July and she thnks this started it up, The jarring of it affected the nerves and then Eagles came about if this is true.  I would like to hear from others, it really is bothering me. I thought i was having a heart attack with all what was going on. I am goint o stop the nexium because of the cramps in my legs  and palpations or pounding heart. I also what to know if you experienced any hypothyroidism with this...  I feel terrible with all this stuff, I haven't had any of this before..  Would really like feedback please.. and help !!!

Feeling left out.
c