Neurology Expert Forum
Early onset PD?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Early onset PD?

Hello, I'm 50 years old, I've had balance issues since I was in my early 40s, some decreased mental capacity. I've had a twitching left index finger for a few years now, recenty notice 4 out of the 5 fingers on my left hand have tremors now and the index finger on my right hand seems to have started to tremor too. I don't notice it unless I'm still, it's worse after I work with my hands, am stressed / upset. Also, have RLS ( this is real folks) and Periodic limb movements when I sleep (found during sleep study). I'm taking Mirapex to stop the PLM at night to try to sleep better, but nothing seems to help the bad insomina. Could this be early PD? Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are many causes of tremors. For example, parkinsonism, such as what you are asking, has a resting tremor that is termed “pill-rolling” tremor. The tremor is typically one sided initially. Other types of tremors include essential tremor (which is a tremor with many different postures/actions), orthostatic tremor, enhance physiologic tremor, etc.

Everyone has a tremor but for most, it is not noticeable unless there is stress, caffeine, anxiety. This is the enhanced physiological tremor.

If your tremor is bothersome, you should be evaluated. There are medical treatments available if home remedies of reducing stress, anxiety, caffeine, are of no benefit. Also, it would be important for you to have your thyroid checked since thyroid problems can lead to tremor.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Thanks for the information.  I do have an underactive Thyroid which I'm currently on Synthroid for.  My Endo just ordered new blood tests to check the Thyroid again.  He is also checking for a Magnesium defieciency. Does my extreme fatigue, RLS and balance issues relate to any certain medical condition?  Should I see a movement specialist?