Electric-shock like pain in knee
Hello; for the past few months I have been experiencing a pain in my
knee, it is just to the outside of the patella. It is a very sharp pain, like an electrical shock. It happens totally at random. It can happen when I am walking, sitting, sleeping, etc. When the pain is not occurring, my knee feels
completely normal. When it happens, it usually happens every few
seconds or minutes, then stops for several hours. I am not aware of
any injury or unusual stress to that area. X-ray was normal and doctor's examination was clear. Any ideas?
I have this too. I fell at work about 15 feet and hit my knee about 2 years ago. I just started weight lifting 7 months ago, and I have high blood pressure. I think it may have to do with blood pressure. although when I had an MRI it said that I had liquid on my knee, but there was nothing they could do about it. I was just searching to see what this pain was and if it could be related to hbp or maybe bc i started lifting weights...
I'm 28 and have been playing sports for 23 years now.  About a week ago, I was at my hockey game, warming up, and all of a sudden as I was about to go to the bench, the same sharp, electric shock sort of pain hit me for the first time for about 5-10 seconds and then again almost right after.  I've never had any knee injuries or health problems.  It has come back a few times since that day.  I've set up a doctors appointment but from all the responses here it sounds like everything is might come up normal with no solution.  I'm hoping for the best and will post with whatever results I get.
Ive had 3 patellar realignment surgeries on my left knee. I never got the sharp electric pain until I had my 4th surgery on my right knee. Now i get really sharp very painful shooting pain just below my knee cap on the far outter left side. I also get it through my graph on my right side. Ive been to 4 different surgeons and doctors and physiotherapists and nothing has been resolved. Pain killers dont do anything for me to relieve pain. When I get pain it last for about what seems forever ( probably 4-10 seconds) it comes and goes throught rest of day. Unfortunately it also prevents me from being able to climb a flight of stairs. Any pressure onto knee cap sends me overboard with pain.
Thank you for all great posts, guys. It seems to me that it is like a new awful disease that doctors have no idea about..yet. I have almost the same problem-- a pain in the left side of my right knee, between the leg and the knee, that is like "Electric Shock". As everyone said here, it is sudden and random, and it could happen anytime without any previous sign. However, I've been noticing that this pain comes especially when I'm laying off in my bed, but it seems that it is getting worse over the time. It is really weird, and it just starting a month a go or so. I don't know what the hell is this, but your stories inspired me to try to find a solution. I will see a doctor, and see how it goes.  
this happened to me earlier this evening as i write i can still feel my leg is not 100% strange twitching sensation without the twitch. if i try to put any weight on my knee the sensation builds. so im nervous about any sudden movement, im very active person and have alot to get through in a day normally. but lately over last week have done alot less. is it possible the muscles around my knee joint have weakend slightly. and this is a reaction to e putting pressure o my knee. but i wasn't doing anything awkward or stretching at time just walked into sitting room and picked cup of tea from counter which is at lower chest height. definitely i wouldn't wan't a reocurrance of this working with power tools. it seems a very common issue was very surprised to see so many posts. i wish you all well with this    
ive never had a single injury to a muscle or joint ever im 41 years young . nobody seems to have realy put there finger on the cause or a remedy, will look forward to any solutions.  
Hi fellow suffers,
I am brand new to this, having received my 'electric shock' like pains in bed last night and again today sitting at my desk.  mine is on the right side of my left knee, not under the kneecap (patella).  I fortunately have no knee related sports injuries, no diabetes etc and am over 50.  When the shock passes, the knee feels perfectly fine in a minute. But when it hit, I was gasping for breath for a few seconds.  

I am wondering if it is related to something local in the knee, or can it be a referred pain from the back . . .

Thanks for your posts, since I know it is not just me.  
Thanks to Elle for the tip regarding 'piriformis syndrome' as a possible cause of the shock-like paid in the knee.  I looked through wikipedia, and found a reference to 'fat wallet syndrome' - They say that sitting on a 'fat wallet' can induce this condition and cause sciatic pain affecting the leg, without being caused by a spinal disk problem.   This could be it!  My new job involves a long commute, sitting in the car, and I put my wallet in my left rear pocket - and the pain hits my left knee.  

I will put my wallet in my briefcase to avoid this possible cause and report back to this blog in a couple of weeks.  Thanks to everyone for their posts!
I've been struggling with this electric shock pain since 2006 and have been following this post for the last several years while going to various drs.  It seems the consensus from my research, drs, and this post is it's a nerve issue, most likely a nerve entrapped in muscle.  My hypothesis is that it doesn't show up on emgs and nerve conduction tests because the actual nerve is fine.  So unless they do the test at the exact moment it hurts (and you stay still for that), it won't show up.  So then the issue is finding which muscle is entrapping the nerve which could be different for everyone and could be in multiple spots anywhere from your back to the furthest point you feel pain.  I believe a really good massage therapist found the cause of my pain in my knee and inner thigh is my psoas and iliacus muscle in my abdomen which nobody checked before. Pushing on certain spots on my belly replicates the "random" pain I had been getting.  She was able to feel pellet sized knots on those muscles at the points where pressure caused pain in my knee. Because I've had this problem for so many years, I now have right and weak muscles in my leg that need to be addressed with physical therapy. All drs have identified those weaknesses but that was not the CAUSE of the pain. I'm not cured yet but this is the first thing that I've tried that actually makes sense and feels like it's helping so I wanted to share.  Good luck to all.  I will check back for more ideas from you and to update on progress.
I believe the sharp shooting, lightening-like pain in the back of my leg (behind my knee) has something to do with my Lyme Disease.  Whether it's direct cause is nerve damage, cyst, clot, muscle twitches, cramps etc Lyme Disease is at the root of it.  Many of you have described symptoms of Lyme Disease.  It is endemic.  IGeneX have one of the most sensitive tests for Lyme Disease.
Thank you to everyone that posted on this site.  As in the original post, I also have these severe electric shocks in my right knee just left of the knee cap in the middle of the indentation.  Not the wimpy 110volt kind of shock, I'm talking the 220volt that makes you jump-off-the-sofa, fly-out-of-bed-and grab-your-knee kinda shocks! Excrutiating pain.  I went to the ER, they took X-rays that showed nothing, gave me Toridol, and sent me home clueless.  The next morning my family doctor said I had a strained tendon, gave me a shot of Cortisone and I thought it was the miracle drug.  Felt great for three weeks, not one shock.  Then the Cortisone shot wore off and I was back to square one.  This time the pain was less severe and only for about 3 to 5 seconds rather than the 15 to 30 seconds like three weeks earlier.  I read on this site about the drug Gabapentin easing their pain so I saw my doctor the next afternoon.  He moved my leg in every possible position trying to get my tendon to act up and when I told him I had absolutely no pain he was puzzled.  Unsure what to do, he decided not to give another Cortisone shot and gave me a prescription for the Gabapentin.  The first day, still with limited sleep due to the shocks, it did nothing.  The second day was better with fewer shocks and less severe.  The third day I could tell the drug was working, the shocks were more like 50volt shocks and only about six times the whole day.  By the fourth day of taking this drug I had no shocks but a little tenderness around my knee.  It's only been five days now but I'm extremely happy you people wrote in with your advise or I would still be in pain.  I am scheduled for an MRI this week but I don't think it will resolve anything.  I think the problem is nerve related and the pain will return when the meds run out.  I'll keep you posted when I find out anything new.  
Yes please definitely keep us posted. Glad to hear that the Gabepentin seems to be working!
My 50 year old son's pain began with front of thigh less than a week ago, then it moved to butt and low back two days ago, with terrible shooting pains. Today, after being 'out and about' for hours yesterday including standing for several hours, he has extreme shooting pains above his knee, which is a different location from these posts.

Just like these posts, the extreme pain lasts a short time and comes back whether he is sitting, standing, lying down.

I researched sciatic nerve sites yesterday, but think he is in too much pain to consider stretching or strengthening exercises yet. He has no insurance for an expensive cortisone shot under X ray...

thank you all for this post!
Hi Pippa. My attcks have largely (but not completely) gone away. I went from 3-4 attacks per day to now just a couple time a month. They are always brought on by extended periods of sitting. I have pretty much changed my life similar to the way the post from "ehlet" described on this forum. I think he may be correct about the nerve flow or possibly the encapsulated nerve theory by "posey".

Either way the solution for me was less sitting and more moving. Eating healthier and losing some weight didn't hurt either. I now look at this problem more like nature's own personal trainer ...with a cattle prod...letting me know when it is time to get up and move.
Correction: it was "shopa" that had the interesting theory on encapsulated nerve. I am going to see if my massage therapist can trigger the attcks by hitting the right spot.
I recently had this terrible experience that many of you are describing - the electric shock pain behind the knee.

In my case, it appears I had a piriformus muscle spasm.  This muscle is in your butt and can go into spasm from lifting/twisting.  Since the sciatic nerve runs under or through the piriformus muscle, a muscle spasm can inflame the sciatic nerve and cause this exact sort of pain.

I have been having acupuncture treatments (just 2 so far) and the pain is gone.  I also researched stretches for this muscle to prevent future spasm.  I believe this may be the solution for many of you and encourage you to try acupuncture.
Success!  6 months and no more 'electric shock'  pains in my left knee.  The cure for me?  Taking my wallet out of my back pocket!  I found that there is a medical basis for the 'fat wallet syndrome' which results from pressure on a nerve in the hip, and generates the unpredictable sharp, breath-taking pains in the side of the knee.

In general, when it comes to the spine, knees and hips, I suggest trying all types of physical therapy and life style adjustments first before moving on to surgery.  
I posted previously under the name "shopa" but can't keep up with my screen names and passwords.  I swore that if I found an answer to my horrific, random, shocking pain that I would post my answer here because I have been following this thread for YEARS!!!  I am finally totally pain free and I feel like I have a whole new life and am so relieved.  As background and in case this helps anyone, I first noticed the pain about 2006.  I did not notice a particular event that caused it.  Over the years, the pain would come and go - a month with no pain, then a month of no sleep because of so much pain every single night, then a few random shocks here and there.  I've had tons of tests and nerve blocks and physical therapy and everything else done and no answers.  Finally massage therapist found the lump in my abdomen (psoas/illiaucus area) that I described in my previous post.  When she pushed on it, it replicated all of the spots in my seemingly random pain pattern.  She initially thought nerve entrapment and that something needed to be massaged out but after a few sessions, she said she wasn't making progress and encouraged me to talk with my dr.  Had an MRI of my abdomen (all of the pain was in my leg, but the spot the massage therapist found was in my abdomen so this is the first time this area was investigated).  They found a femoral nerve sheath tumor there.  A nerve sheath tumor is somewhat rare and a tumor in that area is quite rare.  Had surgery a month and a half ago to have it removed and am now totally completely pain free (aside from a little more healing to go at the incision site).  It makes me tear up with happiness to have that pain gone because it was starting to control my life.  I'm sure this is not the answer for everyone but very few doctors really know much about nerve sheath tumors.  And what makes it so challenging is that the pain is not where the tumor is.  (And, p.s. the tumor was totally benign.)  Good luck to all and please let me know if I can help anyone by sharing any more information.  I will keep up with this thread because I know how awful it was to have that pain.
Just to clarify, the nerve sheath tumor wasn't doing anything to the nerve other than compressing it. There are many things that could compress a nerve and cause similar pain patterns.  From my understanding, you'd want to follow the nerve path from the point of the pain closest to your spinal cord to your spinal cord and it is likely that somewhere/anywhere in that area is where the nerve compression is, whether it's from a tumor or tight muscle or whatever.  For me, my pain went from the top of my inner thigh down to the back of my calf.  In hindsight (always 20/20, I know), once I realized it was nerve pain and not a tight/injured muscle, I should've focused on the area from the top of my inner thigh and followed those nerve paths to my spinal cord.  That would've helped me find that the root of the problem had to be somewhere in my abdominal/groin area.  I hope that makes sense... It was so frustrating going down so many wrong paths and being told the pain was because I was stressed (aka it's all in your head), etc.  I didn't feel like anyone took the time or thought to really try to figure it out - they just did their tests and referred me to someone else so I hope this helps someone to get pointed in the right direction...
I am a diabetic type 2 and I have experienced this electric type shock outside the knee area above the calf I also was wondering if it was associated with being a diabetic. Have you found any information or the cause of your similar pain.

Thanks Pauline
Hi. About a week ago I started experiencing this kind of pain in my left inner knee. It's like something will pinch my nerve or some may describe it as "electric shock" . It only lasts for a second and the pain is not excruciating but really uncomfortable (rating the pain from 1-10 i'd say mine's a 5) it comes without warning and may happen while im standing, walking, seating, etc. The pain doesnt progress but the attacks are becoming more frequent. Does anybody else experiencing this? I hope someone can give me any idea what this is because it's really uncomfortable.

P.s.
My attacks happen usually mornings and night. Afternoon attacks happened only twice by far in this whole week.
I have similar pains and i have been dealing with it for a while. I collapsed while playing soccer before i don't what causes it and my friends don't believe that I'm hurt
This (long-lived) thread fits my symptoms well but doesn't seem to have brought forth any answers. Anyone have any new info? Mine is left knee, stabbing pain (like electrical shock), random intervals, unrelated to activity except that lots of walking does seem to make it better. (I'm 70 and lots of low-grade arthritic joints). The pain only last seconds at most, and feels like it's toward the inside of the patella, sometimes under it. I can't reproduce the pain with pressure. I did just have 2 inguinal hernias repaired. And also a 3-hr kayak trip last Sept. produced horrible femoral nerve entrapment on my right side -- resolved completely over time, plus I got some good P-T.

Have an appointment with my (very good) P-T specialist tomorrow. If no one has anything new for the thread, I'll at least report back what she finds.

Cheers
I started having the random  sharp piercing pains in my left knee about 6 months ago. They were very random but very painful. The pains would be about a minute or so in length and come anywhere from once a day to 30 times a day. They would also go weeks in between times. I had x-rays and an MRI with nothing showing. I finally went to the Chiropractor, turned out I had issues in several areas of my back that affected a nerve going directly t my knee. I have been having treatments for about 6 weeks and the pains have gone away. I hope this helps others that are experiencing the same type of pain.
Wow, I'm not crazy!  Thank you to all of you who have posted.  I haven't read all of your comments yet, but from what I have read, my symptoms mimic all of yours.  I have the electric shock pain in my knee.  I had my first incident about 6 months ago sitting at my desk.  It was sudden and intense and was over with very quickly.  I remember thinking if the intensity of the pain never abated, it would be intolerable.  Thankfully I didn't have another incident for about six months.  Unfortunately, about a month ago, I had another incident, and another and another!  The incidents will last over several days and the worst ones are the ones where I'm getting "zinged" all night.  I have actually lost two days of work due to exhaustion and worry that I won't be able to make the 45 minute drive to work without a shock.  The shocks can happen at any time while I'm sitting, standing, sleeping, etc.  Ironically, I can walk and workout without incident.  My doctor ordered an MRI and of course they found nothing.  I was going to go back to my doctor, but after reading some of your comments I suspect it will be a waste of time.  I do have a massage therapist and I wonder if I should also try my chiropractor, whom I haven't seen in years.  I know he does accupunture.  I do think this is a nerve problem and I think I have some bursitis and I'm wondering if this is where the problem is originating from.  This may sound silly, but I'm worried that any manipulation by a massage therapist or chiropractor may make the problem worse (I.e. Permanently pinch the nerve....that would be unbearable).  Any thoughts?  I'm 55, slightly over weight, but healthy.  I have a desk job, so sit all day, but I do exercise and stetch during my lunch.  Can anyone suggest an exercise or stretch that has worked particularly well for them.  
Congratulations Shopar!  I have a very good massage therapist and I will definitely get her to check my abdomen.  Thanks!
I just stumbled across this community when researching very similar issues with my leg. I also have extremely sharp shock like pain in my left leg on the side of my knee. I also did not injure my leg and the pain started last week. Today was the worst day and I have had many more "events" than any day in the past week. I am not sure if I should seek advice from a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon, perhaps it does not matter. I have had chronic back problems including stenosis. I hope someone who reads these posts has sound advice and has found some success with their similar condition.
I have the same thing and it's driving me mad, please help.
It's keeping me awake at night.
Judeehcee mentioned acupuncture, have you tried it and did it work?
I don't want injections if I can help it.
Feel the same way about injections,not for me if I can help it at all. I have found that if I can decompress my spine by laying flat of allowing my spine to expand some it controls/eases the pulses. A forward flex releases the pressure some too. I suspect the culprit to be stenosis or a disc that has comprised on a nerve root. I have crappy insurance HPO and need a physician to refer me unless I go to the emergency room or urgent care. I hope a MRI will reveal the issue but won't know for a week or so. Hope you can find some relief.
I too have this just started a few days ago. Mine only happens if knee is bend 90 ° angle, so normal sitting is out. Have to keep leg stretched out, also in bed at night no bend knee. Only thing that keeps it away for me. But worried  now my knee not getting enough exercise as can't bend it fir fear of pain. Ok in normal standing and walking. I walk a lot. Otherwise a healthy, slim 68 yr old woman. I do have arthritis in both knee right under the knee cap. But this electric shock pain in new. Feels like my knee has blown apart inside. I too have a high pain threshold but this is unbearable.
I also now am afraid of a long drive, so has really impinged on my life style.
Jenny
hi I just came back from the hospital my x-rays came back fine but im still in a lot of pain...I can move my knee without any problems I just get really bad shocking pains on the right side of my knee I can localize the spot where the pain is coming from...if I put any pressure in this spot by pressing softly with my finger or knelling I get this shocking pain that brings me to tears...I can not even wear jeans because if I bend my knee the pressure from the jeans hurts to much...thank for your help  
I've had this sharp pain on the left side of left knee patella for 3 months now and noticed that it got really bad after I had too many cups of coffee!  At one point I couldn't walk after having 3.  So for the last 2 days I haven't had any coffee. I still don't know exactly the cause of the sharp pain, I've been to a doctor and he said it's probably not osteoarthritis. I'm 41 and walked all day as part of my job.
Was your pain in the back of the knee that came on at any time from 5 seconds to about 30 seconds, I would appreciate any information as I'm going through this again after 12 months of no pain. I stopped it by deadlifting squatting and back extensions but it doesn't seem to be working this time, thank you for any advice

I thought i was the only one with this, i wish nobody had it,  its the waiting for it to happen that really gets to you. After 12 months of no pain through deadlifting squatting and back extensions, the pain is back, I had 3 weeks off from the gym through illness, I have noticed when going to bed I lie on my right side the pain is in my right knee, put a cushion or pillow between my legs and it seems to stop any flare ups during the night, hope this helps some of you sleep better,but I still get the attacks during the day usually from sitting to long, my deadlifting and squatting took about 6 weeks to stop the attacks, the first time I got the pain I spent 8 months in physio saying the problem was in my back, they sent me for an mri on my knee, results came back normal, then I had back pain, I finally got the mri on my lower spine and found 2 slipped discs with a tear in one, I dropped physio and did my own rehab, I'm a qualified fitness instructor, about 10 years ago, so I know the basics, I stopped the pain in 6 weeks, I've been back in training for 2 weeks,I will write more posts to let you know how it goes hopefully it works again, I hope this helps some of you,
Did you find out what it was, if I point my toes to the ceiling I get the same pain, any info would be helpful
I have the same pain . Five years ago I had it on my right leg nothing should up on my MRI they went in and did exploratory surgery and found bone spurs pinching my nervers. But they say that they grow back now I am having the same problem on my left leg behind the knee and another MRI shows nothing so now I have to go back to the surgeon again. Don't really want to have surgery again but can't stand the pain either. Good luck to everyone!
Ive been doing squats, leg press and dead lifts, also have a look at you tube Jonathan Boxall, piriformis stretch, I've had no shocks for 2 weeks, when you do the stretch for the first time, you may get a small shock but then it eases off, if this happens it's probably piriformis syndrome, hope this helps
I am 15 and in the middle of class, I would have a sudden shock in my knee. t hurts a lot and then my knee developers a  rash/bruise that hurts a lot. And then my knee and bottom leg becomes slightly paralyzed. Is it dangerous? What do I need to do ?
You need to see a good specialist.
I think I might have this, and came to the same conclusion/diagnosis you did. My doctor has me on a nerve blocker called gabapentin. It helps.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.m.webmd.com/pain-management/tc/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome-topic-overview&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiZhYn3qbjMAhUKcD4KHYbqAXwQFggQMAA&usg=AFQjCNGopNfK_oFRruqR0d6R3fgsVI-j4g
This worked for me.  A while back I had a pain in my hip that also radiated to the outside of my knee. The pain lasted for 5-30 seconds and as soon as it was gone all felt normal.  My chiropractor diagnosed it as piriformis syndrome and had me see her staff physical therapist who gave me a set of hip and glute strengthening exercises that I did once or twice a day.  Using the strength exercises combined with stretching, within a week the random pain attacks began to subside. A month into the exercises and the pain was gone.  I continue to do the exercises but not as religiously as before.  I treat occasional flare-ups by stretching the piriformis and using a massager and heat on my glutes. This quick reaction to flare-ups has worked to stop the pain attacks immediately and lasts as long as I keep doing my exercises.  There are a lot of piriformis stretching videos on Youtube but the ones that worked for me were the “glute and hip strengthening” ones. Check out Ask Dr. Jo on Youtube.  Hope this helps!  

I have been suffering random spontaneous electric shock/stabbing/tearing/flashing pain near knee area for about three month. It started earlier but disappeared for a while. I didn't notice it until it becomes very frequent three month ago...

This changed my life forever. The pain level is near 8-10/10 before I take Lyrica or Oxcarbazepine. Lyrica didn't work well enough but it does help. Oxcarbazepine is the one remove 90% of the pain and I am still taking it.

I have seen more than a dozen doctors, from sports medicine, orthopedics, and neurologist. Orthopedics can't reproduce the pain no matter how they manipulate my knee. Most doctors in Kaiser have no idea about what's going on. You should think twice if you elect to work with Kaiser. They are slow, ignorant and don't care about your pain.

I eventually went to China to get it diagnosed first order. Orthopedic doctor found a vascular malformation near a place I got hit mildly before. The surgery removed this tumor. However, the pain is still happening but at a different location after surgery.

Neurologists told this is very similar to trigeminal neuropathy. Thus they gave me the medication for that pain: Oxcarbazepine. It works and reduces the pain to a level that is negligible. At least I am not suffering for a while.

I am not completely cured yet. I can feel pulses even they are almost painless. I know the pain level will escalate if I stop the medication. I am still looking for a doctor to cure it if it is curable by certain means.

Please read this link about trigeminal neuropathy. If you find it matches all your symptom, you may want to talk to your doctor. The most important thing I see from this website is: there are at least five different causes of the jolting pain, you have to find the correct one yourself.
http://www.umanitoba.ca/cranial_nerves/trigeminal_neuralgia/manuscript/types.html

I hope god bless you and you will be good. In most cases, I can see people recover from neuropathy by themselves. Good luck to all of us!

In my research I also found out that a vitamin b12 deficiency can cause brain and nerve damage which is possibly what's causing the electric shock sensation in my knees. Appearantly none of the doctors I've seen read anything from Harvard. Look it up there's many causes of b12 deficiency. Don't really feel like listing them. Oh, and the doctors I've seen had results of a blood test I took and didn't feel it was important to mention to me my b12 was low. I hope if this doesn't apply to you maybe someone else might be.
I am taking Vitamin B supplement.
Just to share my experience after a fall to the knee. The sharp pains started for me mostly just as the swelling/bruising seemed to go away. Im thinking it can be a nerve thing that has to do with recovery in my case. Also for therapy, it might sound dumb but I still play my drums and think it actually is good for this type of injury. All the reading I've done so far suggest in most injuries after resting, ice, heat treatment, you should also do some activity with the knee. Accident happened over a week now and haven't stopped walking, brief bike riding, playing music, etc. all to help reduce the pain. Only thing i can add is I've had some unusual pains mostly in leg all this week and also shooting like pains in leg; Which i'm sure will clear up. Thats a knee injury, ,but some people here have described nerve pains originating possibly from the upper nerves of sciatic nerve, my lucky guess, hehe...thanks for sharing!
Nerve pain distinguishes itself from regular pain. The most different part is spontaneous.
Maybe this helps a few of you guys.
I had the same symptoms under my left knee for a while
My doctor here in Holland sent his friend round who is a retired knee specialist to many of Hollands football players. Soccer to my American cousins.
He said that the underside of my knee cap is irritated and that causes the weird electric pain. The problem is that there is not much blood supply under the knee cap (of anyone). So he gave me the following excercise to do. (As often as I could).
With a straight leg, but a totally relaxed leg, either on the couch or with the leg diagonally down from my office chair) I am to very very slightly flex my front thigh muscle so that the knee cap very gently rises up towards my head, hold for a second and gently release. Over and over. As often as I could in a day. The idea is that it gently rubs the underside of the knee cap across the top of the knee and thus brings a bit of blood flow. He stressed that the leg should be fully relaxed and the movement gentle. Easiest excercise ever. Six weeks long he said and no running etc. So far it's working. I hope it works for some of you guys.
Cheers
Simon
Maybe this helps a few of you guys.
Cheers
Simon
I did this exercise. It immediately triggers a delayed episode. I guess it just get my knee cap more irritated.
Me too... OUCH
Well I have had the same issue under my Left Knee.
2 years now and 1 fender bender.

Scans, MRI, Xrays, nothing wrong.
So I started looking at my diet. Wrote Everything down and then when my little friend came back around I looked at my diet.
What I found was I was always eating one thing different in the days/weeks leading up to it.

Nuts, I really like nuts.
So, I stop the nuts (any kind) weeks later no issues.
Eat nuts (like two bags you get at the food marts.
couple days later it happens.

So after a few months of testing I think it has something to do with nuts, what that means, I have no idea.

My two cents

Big Daddy
Wow I think you may be onto somthing here. As I just started randomly grabbing a handfull of nuts again recently and the shock like jabs in the the knee started again.
I'm getting it too - it's a sharp electric shock type pain in my knee of my left leg- more to the side of my knee. I had spinal surgery (a benign schnowmma rumour removed) 3 years ago so it may be connected..or maybe not! I'm going to see a doctor asap.
Same here, for many years I have electric shock like pain in my left knee in lower part. This pain appears completely randomly, it doesn't matter if I'm sitting, walking, laying. This pain is so strong that I even jump up and usually scare all people around me. After that and before that my knee feels completely fine. MRI and X-rays showed nothing. My dr thinks I'm crazy and I imagine this pain. I'm glad i found these post which proves that I'm normal or all of us here are crazy:) PLEASE, IF ANYONE FOUND SOLUTION TO THIS, PLEASE LET US KNOW. I'll try piriformis syndrome exercises, but I doubt that it is piriformis syndrome, as I don't have other symptoms except this crazy knee pain.
Same thing as all of you.  EXTREME shock like pain, interior of right knee ( but not my knee ).  
This happened about a year ago for about 5 -10 seconds.  I was like OUCH!  Then I started doing a spin class and yesterday this came on with a vengeance. Extreme shock pain lasting from 5-30 seconds, at times almost felt like it was pulsating. This went on off and on for about and hour. Then nothing.. no pain, no problems until next attack.  
I remembered hearing something about apple cider vinegar, I drank a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and water and it subsided for about 8 hours. 8 hours later woke me up in middle of night, drank more vinegar.. seemed to help.
At work today rolling around during an episode. My dad gave me a tincture of marijuana oil... seemed to help, then I also found at Walgreens Neuragen ( nerve cream ) this seemed to stop in its tracks.
I really am not sure.  I made an appointment at Dr in am.  Listening to everyone, it does not seem to help.  I personally am going to back off the spin class and see if it subsides the flare up.  
Hope some of these things help you, as they did me.
Hello everyone. I have found a solution to the electric shock like pain in the knee problem. I currently work as a personal trainer in Norway. This jolting pain is most likely caused by VMO - or Vastus Medialis Oblique, one of your inner thigh muscles - left side of quads. My solution is to get a hold of a foam roller - you might have to buy one, but usually training centers have one. What to do: You need to lie down on the floor with the foam roller and put your inner thigh perpendicular on it. Start rolling back and forth applying alot of pressure with your body weight. This should be very uncomfortable and will hurt alot when done correctly. Do very long rolls from the base of the knee, all the way to the top of your inner thigh. This can become physically straining and you might have to take short breaks or do sets of rolls. I usually do 30-50 hard rolls (very uncomfortable) and it fixes the problem for me INSTANTLY!
It's not completely gone, I do get it from time to time, but then I just repeat and it's gone again. The rolling looks very silly though and might best be done alone, but to get rid of this incredibly excruciating knee pain it's worth it! I had this problem for many years before I did this. This usually works on MANY other muscle problems - foam roll before you go the surgery route! Hope this works for you all! :)
i too have this pain. and i'm a doctor and know about what to narrow it down to.  all your responses have been very helpful.  mine starts outside slightly posterior knee and moves up the back of my leg.  unusual because it would usually track down a nerve.  anyway. it is 10/10 i cry out i hit the spot and massage. it usually goes away in 10 seconds. mine comes on about once a week only.  two months ago i had a serious knee surgery. my right leg had been doing all the work for almost a year.  my right hip was also failing me.  so i now have had a right hip replacement.  the pain started before the hip replacement but after the right leg had been the only worker.  my PT thinks it has to do with tight muscles causing nerve entrapment and i tend to agree with the anatomy of it.  she gave me some piriformis stretching exercises because a short muscle will cause the entrapment . i just want a nerve ablation.  if i can't get it to stop with PT that is my next ask. she also suggested the roller on the outer leg.  a nerve entrapment can be caused by a variety of things so need to find out what is causing the entrapment and treat that problem.
i did not mean piriformis i meant to say ileal tibial band stretching.  it is most likely my peroneal nerve getting entrapped in a tight IT band and if i can stretch it out it will relieve.
Hi All,

I am in the similar situation as many of you. However, I am on my third day. But something has helped me. Read below -

1) Day 1: I got two electric shocks one at 8:00 am another 11:00 am, I was in pain for 5 secs or so then gone, like most of you have mentioned, terrible feeling, excruciating pain from the back of my inner right knee all the way down to the right leg.
2) Day 1: did a thorough research spoke to my physio
3) Day 2: Did lower spine release/mobility work(physio did it), did yoga stretches(learnt it in past), did foam roller on T-band and inner thigh (have learnt in past), took vitamin D tablets (as prescribed by my doc), did not sit for more than 30-45 at a stretch and did a small stretch walk after every 30-45 of sitting (my job demands long hours of sitting)
4) Day 2: Attack came back at 2:00 pm but was 1/4th of the intensity of what had happened to me on Day 1
5) Day 3: is today - I am gonna repeat what I did on Day 2 above and see how it goes.

Other Info -My lifestyle is otherwise healthy in terms of food I take and water I drink. I used to play a lot of sports but taking a break from the same from last 2 months.

I had a sports injury on my right knee twice in last 30 years. I am 43 years old male. Not overweight.

Somewhere above "ehlet" has described this approach too and while I did my online research I found his recommendation very sensible and derived by an approach from there. So thanks "ehlet" for the same.

I am a fresh case only on Day 3 so I will keep you guys posted on how my pain goes and will write back in a weeks time.

till then, take care and I will experiment with my approach and post back.

cheers,
rtupap