Neurology Expert Forum
F/U to Tingling, Painful Burning Sensations..could it be ALS

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thanks for your response to my earlier question! Ihave been reading info on your forum regarding ALS and had another question. Since Friday I have had muscle twitching on various parts of my body that seem to come and go throughout the day (I've never noticed them before),and I am experiencing more of fatigue(which I guess could be weakness)in my hands and legs as well.Also,when I had the abnormal EKG in ER they did bloodwork and I called so I could get a copy of results and found out that the doc told me my results were normal but it turns out that I was anemic(which I have been most of my life) but my CPK levels were elevated (281) the doc said that it was still normal but I don't believe it(I am having twitches now) could the evlevated CPK combined w/ everything else be ALS.I am still having the burning sensations, primarily in my legs and feet (but not all the time-the sensations seems to be worse when I am in a sitting position-ususally decrease or go away when I stand/walk or lie down). Over, the last 6 weeks here are the meds that I have been on-Atenentol (sp) 50mg qd for HBP-then increased to 100 mg qd-then doc weaned me off b/c BP was still the same and put me on Benicar 20 mg qd.  Of course the Neurontin(that I have not taken).The Duke appt isn't until Dec I've been calling Duke/UNC daily to see if they have had cancellations in the neuro dept but now both are booked out until March 03. I am really nervous-I can feel my heart beating fast right now-can't sleep.What does elevated CPK mean & how much stock should be placed in Neuro exam to rule out ALS? THANKS!!!!
CPK is a nonspecific muscle enzyme that can be elevated in many different neurologic and non-neurologic  conditions. Every lab is different so I don't know where your value falls according to your lab. But generally speaking, about 200 is pretty normal and 281 does not sound significantly elevated.  CPK is not something that we use to look for ALS, rather it's the neurological exam (EXTREMELY important) and EMG findings as well as MRI studies to rule out other diseases. Good luck.
I went to Wake Forest and am thinking of going back.  My app't was set for way in the future, and they worked it up.
mamafiguare