Neurology Expert Forum
Falcine calcification

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Falcine calcification

My husband just did a CT and the results showed falx/falcine calcification. Everything else from the CT appears normal. He is 44 and the only health problem he is aware of is dull frequent headaches. Could you tell me more about this condition please and tell me where I can find more info on the Web. Is this a condition that necessarily indicates a problem or could some degree of falcine calcification be normal?
Thank you very much,
Caroline44
Falx calcifications are a normal finding on CT scans of the brain in many completely healthy patients and usually have no clinical relevance. The falx is a folding of the covering tissue of the brain that lies in the crevice between the two hemispheres. As we get older, there may be a local collection of calcium along the fold. TYpically it means nothing and we call it an "incidental finding." Of course, I have not personally reviewed the films or examined your husband. If it's really a meningioma (benign brain tumor that calcifies and can be located at the falx) then it's another story. But if it truly is just falx calcification, then I would not be concerned. However, if your husband's headaches are progressively becoming worse or are associated with neurological deficits, then further imaging with an MRI of the brain may be warranted. Talk to your docs about this. Best of luck.
My wife has just been told that she may have falx calcification based on some X-rays taken while checking up on a nasty sinus infection.  The doctor has asked us to track down some old CT scan results taken in Canada about 8 years ago.  I will try to get these, but I don't think they will be on file anymore.

Is there anything else you can suggest we do, i.e. another CT or MRI scan?  Is this something we should really worry about and start finding a specialist?  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dan
A related discussion, Should I press on? was started.
A related discussion, falx calcification in high parietal region was started.