Fizzing sound in neck
Hi, for about a year now i have had this fizzing sound in my neck that occurs randomly, usually when i am just laying down. It doesnt occur when i am moving my head or anything, its usually just when i sitting still or laying down. It sounds like it is coming directly from the back of my neck and is starting to worry me. I also experience these weird pains in my head that come for about a second and then go and come back again every 10minutes or so. These pains are in 1 area in the back of my head in about a 1 square inch area.. Any ideas???
First of all, this is a normal phenomenon, so, all the hypochondriacs need to go find another topic.  I have experienced this all my life, especially as a teen ager and young adult, when I suffered from eating disorders.  The crystalline sound/sensation was something I tried to achieve.  It occurs when you are hungry, and while I am no scientist, I suspect it is related to the function of the Lateral Hypothalmus, which signals your brain that you are hungry by firing neuron pulses.  Neurologists will argue about whether or not you can actually hear neurons "firing", but it is my theory that is precisely what you are hearing.  I also think it is more a sensation than it is sound, but our brains interpret it as sound.  I do know that there have been studies conducted where the firing of neurons is amplified and can be heard in that state.  Given this information I believe it is entirely within the realm of possibility that we not only feel those tiny electrical impulses, but given the proximity to the origin, hear them as well.
Yay I'm not as odd as I thought. I'm 35 and slightly over weight. Blood pressure is good though.  I've been getting the fizzing sound/sensation in the back of my head/neck for a few years now and have just had it again which is what made me Google it. Anyone I have tried to explain it to also looks at me like I'm crazy lol. Mine is quite random and can happen at anytime, standing, sitting or lying down, but I can't connect it with hunger like many others on here do as I'm still full up from the spag bol I had for dinner. I am however very tired and rather stressed which seems to be a common factor. Like many others I'm not particularly worried, more intrigued as to what it is and what causes it. I have recently started getting migraines and have suffered with headaches for a while now and on a daily basis but I put that down to my job being predominantly computer based. I did have a neck injury when I was about 9 years old but like I said the fizzing has only been happening for a few years now. Very strange, I'd love to know what it is.
Forgot to say, I also occasionally get the tightening of the head like its being squashed just like someone else on here described, not sure if its related to the fizzing or not though.
I always wondered if it was seizure-related, as I had rolandic epilepsy into my teens, and then started noticing this 3 or 4 years later. I'm 34 now. Nothing has ever come of it. It's mostly when I'm laying down, and I've learned that when I notice it, I can then say, "yep, my stomach's growling and I'm hungry".... but it doesn't happen every time my stomach growls or I'm hungry, and it seems to happen a few weeks on end, and then not at all for awhile. I always forget about it until it happens. Today's the first time I've woken up, been laying here, and suddenly thought, "Hey! My head's not buzzing!" I went to my neurologist a few years ago. They did a CT scan and came up inconclusive. I asked what it might be if it's not a seizure, and she said it could be a chemical imbalance. To me, that meant "crazy," so I turned down further testing because I was afraid they'd continue to find nothing and assume the default- that it was me being nuts, when I know I'm not. I really feel and hear it. I used to say it was LIKE a fly in my head. That concerned my mom and my doctor; I think they thought I was saying that I thought it WAS a fly in my head.... then I said it was kinda like paper being ripped- but not exactly.... but I like the poprocks analogy; that fits perfectly. I get stressed, yes, but I don't see a pattern of it happening more when I'm stressed, so I don't think it's that.....
This gases passing through the meninges passageway from the cranial and spinal cord fluid of the meninges. Ever hear of meningitis?, these are areas that becomes infected.
I'm sorry, that can't be right. Because another person said his girlfriend could hear it, and my husband has also heard it. It's not just a problem with our ears... or maybe it is just a problem for some people's ears, but not all of us!
I've been getting this too for years.  I tend to think that it is sinus related.  I live in a town that is known for its blooming foliage and almost everyone in town has sinus issues at various times of the year.  When I get this it seems that I am also having some sinus drainage at the same time.  No need to worry.
The same exact thing happens to me... I have tried to understand what it is and have even done research it does sound like the candy pops and my right eye is like always twitching on and off it has stopped for some time but it can get quite annoying and quite embarrassing as well. this information is great to know its good to know i am not alone or going crazy.
25 Fm I just experienced this feeling for the first time. I was sitting down.

Commonalities
* Right Side Eye Twitch usually relative to high humidity

This actually accompanies a sharp ice pick pain that starts in my basal spine and extends 3" upwards that woke m up in my sleep approx 20 hours ago. I was not able to sleep the rest of the night and have been immobile today with severe lower spinal pain and also cramps in my legs that remind me of growing pains.

Not sure if this requires medical attention or if it will pass. The pain is paralyzing but I have a feeling a trip to the Doctor will end up with a prescription for pain meds I'm not interested in and no explanation for what is going on. No faith in MD's other that to mend broken bones or in life/death situations. (In other words I would rather wait until I'm dying to seek the "help" of a MD) Has anyone had any experience with an ND in this case?
As well... May be related or not. I get "hot" spots in my feet. At first I thought it was just the flooring in my home but then I would get them when I was out and about in the cold of -18C or colder and it would be like having a hot coal on the ball of my foot. This sensation only occurred in the balls of my feet.
Does anyone know if it is related to neck popping / cracking?  ...does those who get it do this ?
Actually yes; I used to get the fizzies a lot, not so much anymore but now I have the Hyoid bone in my neck that pops out on a regular basis and causes a lot of discomfort.  I hadn't even thought of the fizzies until I started looking up the popping and ran across this.  Made me wonder if they were related somehow.  Anyone else have both?
I get this too.
Normally just as I wake up in the morning. I hear/feel this fizzing in the back of my neck, right where my spine meets my skull. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.
22 year old female. I suffer from anxiety/depression. I am slightly overweight.
The weirdest thing though. I spent 3 weeks in Sweden. Never once got the fizzles. As soon as I came home though, there they were.
I get this too, normally just as I wake up I hear/feel this fizzing noise in the back of my neck, right where the spine meets the skull.
I do suffer from anxiety and depression. I get migraines from the medication I'm on. I'm also slightly overweight.
Weirdest thing, though. I spent 3 weeks in Sweden. Never once had a case of the fizzles, but as soon as I got back to the UK, there they were.
"Lying" down, not laying.
Make SURE you avoid TOXIC TOBACCO SMOKE, which kills 180 INNOCENT Americans EVERY DAY!

MAKE EVERYTHING SMOKE-FREE, INDOORS AND OUT!
I'm a Fizzer / rainstick esophagus. It sounded like my GERD capsules (which feel like they are getting stuck and also feel like they aren't helping)so I thought it was something like Zenker's Diverticulum. I am surprised I have not seen that mentioned yet.
Good luck, I hope we figure this out.
I HAVE A QUESTION DID ANY OF US FIZZERS EVER EAT.. POP ROCKS OR AIR HEADS.. IM GUESSING ITS AIR HEADS.. YOU KNOW.. THE CANDY..
uhhg! i get that tightening/spasm too. i told my doctor of it once, and he said its common. but idk.
wow i had the parasites i know because only much use of tee tree shampoo slowed them i had sores on my scalp that couldnt be explained after a year moved to my neck and now i have the fizzies and fluid in my kneck docs think im nuts i also have damaged neck bones and spine but the fizzies all got bad after i got parasites from my friend no doc could or cared to cure its been a nightmare everytime i lay down also over weight no sleep feel like im blacking out when i lay down ive tried everything and prayer has helped
also i woke up blind in left eye for about a min or two my man thought he could squeese on of the sore or open it with a needle and the neck probs got worse and fizzies sometimes i can feel fluid trapped by my ear and neck  fluid run down from my head neck to chest and hear the fizzies at the same time scares the heck out of me
i think mine is lymph fluid being blocked somehow then draining hence noises but hmm makes sense
Could it be mercury related, I have been experiencing this for a couple of weeks now. I am hypothyroid and have been looking into finding my "root" cause. I track it back to fillings I had put in. Have not been tested, so can't say. I looked up mercury poisoning and it was a symptom. Actually mine is in my brain, or base of skull.
Could it be mercury related, I have been experiencing this for a couple of weeks now. I am hypothyroid and have been looking into finding my "root" cause. I track it back to fillings I had put in. Have not been tested, so can't say. I looked up mercury poisoning and it was a symptom.
I get it too when laying down on my left side.. It sounds like a fizzing sound at the back of my neck (where the neck meets the bottom of my skull).. Only just started getting it in the past 4 weeks. Doesn't hurt, I get it morning or night, usually every second day and lasts about 2 or 3 seconds..

It is the natural circulation of the Cerebrospinal fluid which travels in and around the brain and down the spinal cord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebrospinal_fluid

Hi. I am 16 & I have had the same probably for years. I honestly thought that there was something wrong with me. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one in this problem. But I have yet to find out what is behind the fizz like sounds. My theory is that it has something to do with like the trigger of stomach growling but at the neck and that maybe it occurs with abnormal eaters. Well, people who eat at abnormal times, & long distances away from each other. Let me know if you find something! L.
Thanks so much for the explanation....makes the most sense thus far!
Did he say there is a way to stop it? Can it become a problem?
my boyfriend is a personal trainer and he says its just your growth hormone releasing.. i've worried about it for years and he gets it too so its just that.. :)
Hi Guys,

This is so weird and again seems like everyone I know doesn't get it and laughs when I try to explain it. Fizzing sound is actually probably a good way to explain it.

Want to share a couple of common things we may do.

It doesn't hurt neither do I get headaches, I can get it when I walk, lay down or sit down. I get it sometimes when I'm hungry and I smoke.

Sometimes I wonder if its the Matrix downloading up to date information about us lol. Its more like the noise of old dial up at the back of my head for a couple of seconds then goes and I wait to hear it back again which could be hours, days or weeks.

Sometimes I think it could be in relation to a little problem I had when I was little... randomly if I thought if I moved my head too fast I would get an enormous pain (like a burn feeling) in the side of my neck which would gradually go away and it would be a good long while till I got it again.

Random but don't think it's an medical problem, just seems like some of us hear it and a lot of others don't.

Take Care.

Hi Guys,

Take Care.

very well said....
I've had the same sensations in the back of my neck/skull since I was 18 y/o. It usually happens when I'm hungry. Feels like my stomach is slurping on brain's spinal fluid. It really bothers me when I'm sleeping. I have to go to the fridge at night and drink some milk to divert the stomach "munching on my brainstem" feeling. I would tell my friends, family, and doctors; they all thought I was crazy. I'm not sure where we go from here, but I'm glad I'm not alone anymore.
I always presumed I had been implanted with an RFID chip! Glad there's possibly a simpler explanation ;)
Years and years I've had this problem after getting pregnant with my first son. Or it was falling down a flight of stairs shortly before that....maybe that I knocked something out of whack. But anyway, it's only ever when I'm laying down, usually in the morning after waking up, and usually when I'm really really hungry. But guess what??? Today I put my cell phone under my head while recording a video. Amidst the annoying pillow scraping sound when I was afraid the Mic wasn't close enough, low and behold the very clear sound of crackly and pop fizzing. Loud enough that my husband could finally hear what I've been complaining about for years.  
Sorry about those symbols noticed it just as I hit submit
Will I experience the same issue but the only thing I can say is that it could be chairi malformation I found out about this on another thread .but this stats to worry me I have no pain just some headaches .my question is why dont doctors fully diagnosis this ? Apparently Alot of people have this ? We should get a university to fully study this and give a diagnosis
hey pink my drs think i have chiari malformation with eds but they need to do the mri with my head up as i have bad hyper mobility issues my question to you is how were you diagnosed with it and the radiologist keeps saying he cant do it the way they need the test done please can you get back to me on this i know this post  is from 2011 but my mother and i need to know im getting bad symptoms and i get rushed to hosp all most every 2 weeks please can you tell me how?
It amuses me that for so many years folks have been experiencing these symptoms (I mean we've got questions posted here from 1983)and up to this date no dr/etc have been able to come up with an answer or explanation as to what maybe causing these symptoms, I mean a lot of people are experiencing this,including me and it does indeed lighten my heart to know that there are others experiencing the same problem and I'm not losing it, but at the same time,what could possibly be causing this, these symptoms that doctors can't seem to understand? I do hope its nothing serious but u can't help but worry about it .  
It amuses me that for so many years folks have been experiencing these symptoms (I mean we've got questions posted here from 2007)and up to this date no dr/etc have been able to come up with an answer or explanation as to what maybe causing these symptoms, I mean a lot of people are experiencing this,including me and it does indeed lighten my heart to know that there are others experiencing the same problem and I'm not losing it, but at the same time,what could possibly be causing this, these symptoms that doctors can't seem to understand? I do hope its nothing serious but u can't help but worry about it .  
I'm having the same issue scared had a mri nothing showing now going for contrast Mri I'm really scared any info please respond
Hi Jen, please read my comment below. I hope knowing many of us experience the same will help put you at ease! good luck with your MRI.
I have experienced the same for years, a crackling, fizzing sound that seems to resonate from my neck/back of my head, but I believe I have found an answer!
I believe its caused by dehydration and low blood sodium resulting in very short bursts of tinnitus. My personal resolve is drinking warm water with 2 teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of salt (ORS - oral re-hydration solution) or a electrolyte replacement liquids like sports drinks.
Personally, I experience this static sound more when i'm overtired, ill or have eaten badly for a few days and the above always seems to clear it.
Interestingly, myself and sister both experience this AND both suffer from migraines. I wonder if the two are related and if you guys do too.
I hope this helps, please let me know if it does!
Thank you I will look in to that for sure thanks for your help :)
Thank you so much. This has helped me a lot.
I started experiencing this during my first pregnancy 7 years ago. I would be laying up in my bed starving in my first trimester and this would start happening. It used to scare me, because I had fallen down my front steps and broken my legs in my first few weeks of pregnancy and thought that I'd received some type of diagnosed neck or head injury. As it's continued for the past 7 years, mostly when I am super hungry and mostly when I'm in bed (but also when I'm sitting nowdays, maybe because I'm pregnant and everything has moved around?) I don't get as worried about it anymore but I have found that it's not "all in my head" and I've found a way to prove that I'm not crazy! It would drive me so crazy that my husband had no idea what I was talking about when I tried to describe the sound/feeling to him, so one day while it was happening I grabbed my cell phone, put the mic up to the back of my neck and hit record on the camera. He could actually hear the sound on the video. It has to be a completely quiet room and you have to make sure not to scratch the mic against your hair. The same could also probably be done if you just have them put their ear against it, although that probably goes hand in hand with the old rule that the second they do it it'll go away :) Maybe a good idea to snap a soundbite to let your Dr. listen to!  
The exact same thing happened to me. I;m in my second trimester and I just heard this sound. I'm just laying down watching a movie when it happened waiting for my boyfriend to finish dinner. It smells amazing and I'm super hungry now. Maybe that's the reason? It really freaked me out and the fact that what you described fits my situation perfectly put me at ease.
I have been getting a hissing sound, started when I had bad sitting or lying positions for a long time. Goes when I sit up properly. Thought it was fluid in spinal cord, just felt like it, from somewhere, what else could it be. Fluid got blocked off because neck was permanently bent forwards I think it was. Haven't sought professional opinion when it happened, seemed like a very minor thing as it wasn't painful, just a sound lasting a few seconds at a time. Trying to get eye level with things to stop bending my neck, or hunching over things. Just once when my head is bent awkwardly, recently. Reminded. It kept hissing for the week in which I had my head bent nearly all the time. I also have a short neck, and it may just be about build, just have to manage it.
This is going to sound crazy, but bare with me, has anyone ever had close contact with a u.f.o.? Seriously, this is no joke. I was contacted when i was fourteen.  The age of nineteen or twenty, i started getting the fizz go up my neck when i would get hungry, and it would go away fairly quickly maybe five seconds, i used it as a hunger mechanism, ok the bubbles are here time to eat. I am thirty three now and i still get the bubbles, the food doesnt help anymore. These are my symptoms now, the fizz is louder and more bubble like than fizz, i get headaches for a couple minutes after it goes away, the rear apex of my cranium and the front of my face to my lips go numb for a couple seconds, there is a growth at the rear apex of my skull. I dont know if my contact with e.t. had anything to do with it, maybe the radiation from their ship, idk. I have went to doctors a couple times and they just look at me like im crazy. I seriously thought i was the only one and i was gonna die quietly from this.
You are ******* retarded
You are ******* retarded
You are ******* retarded
I've experienced the fizzy sounds and feelings for a couple of years now. I wonder if the short pains your feeling are like mine. They come and go whenever they please. My doctor says I have tension headaches. They last anywhere between 3-10 seconds, anywhere & anytime of the day. They are very moderate to super sharp pains... sometimes to the point where I have to stop what I'm doing and deal with the pain til it goes away. I'm curious about the fizzy stuff though. It doesn't bother me, so I'm assuming it's nothing too extreme. Though I wonder if it has a meaning behind it? & mine also only happens when I'm laying down, mostly on my sides as well. Doesn't hurt, just feels really weird. Have you figured out what the fizziness is caused by?
Hi, I get this too. I can't say I have had it forever either, this has been more of a recent thing within the passed 3 years. I never knew how to explain it other than it is the sound and feeling that you get when you hear a chain under the water. Describing it as fizzing never came to my mind but that is exactly it! Eureka!
I am not exactly sure what it is, that's how I happened upon this thread, but I feel that it might be similar to the phenomenon of bones cracking. I have guessed that it is maybe the gases in the neck escaping and with age it just becomes more noticeable. I do have a back condition, scoliosis, and it has gotten worse since my pregnancy which makes me think there is a strong correlation. I also suffer from migraines (12 years) like others have mentioned, but they have changed since my pregnancy and now I actually have to find a position to lay in where I can relax enough to make that fizzing sound happen. Once I make that happen, my migraine will ease up but I have to be completely still. I seriously think it has to do with either the muscles being too tight  or built up gases in the bones. I know I don't have the answer but I hope this helps.  

Also, to the man about the UFO maybe being a part of it, I witnessed a UFO when I was 5. I don't recall the fizzing until recently. Could be related but I don't think we can blame this on aliens just yet. The truth is out there...
I have had this issue since I was about 18, I always described it as the sound of a rain stick. Everyone always thought I was crazy, talked to every doc I've ever had about it, they never had an idea, and didn't seem to care for that matter.  I had an xray by a chiropractor when I was a teen who said my cartilage was deteriorating in the top of my spine in my neck, also my head wasn't attached to my spine properly. I told this to the docs but again they didn't seem to care. I'm 31 now and just found out my mother, sister and grandmother have hypermobility EDS, and I have essentially been diagnosed with it as well.  I am seeing some other people are saying the same. I am so grateful that I hear other people are dealing with this to, I was starting to think I was crazy. If you find any more info please let me know.
OMG - I've had this for 50 years. First occurred with an anxiety attack at night when I was 18.  It felt like alka-seltzer/pop rocks/aerator bubbles fizzing up the back of my neck into my brain.  It occurs anytime but seems mostly stress related and at night. I've also had episodes of acid reflux, weight problems, difficulty swallowing, gas, an occasional eye twitch, feeling cold and hot at the same time, and fluctuating blood pressure for years.  Now, I've just had an ischemic stroke in the Thalamus.  I believe this is all related.  For one thing, the hypothalamus is responsible for weight control!  Sometimes, bubbling would come up from my kidney area where the adrenal glands are located which also control stress, cortisol and weight.  I suggest you don't let it go as I did!  The thalamus is not an area of the brain where they can operate.  But I am healing - Praise God!  And now maybe we know where to look for the source of the problem.
YES!  I just had the "fizz" and bubbles in the back of my neck....like a "squirt" of fizzy bubbles in middle of neck into lower skull.   SO WEIRD!  We should all start a bio-med company and figure this out!
Wow I have all of this going on...wow ...
Every time I walk i hear the pop rocks/sandpaper sanding sound in the back of my neck/skull/ears. I suffer from chronic migraines and severe car sickness. Sometimes I have to pull over on the side of the road to the point it's so bad that I'm puking. I've been diagnosed with syncope. My first pregnancy I had 2 seizures. I passed out constantly since I was 6 months old I am now 26. I know this is a neurological problem. But why can't they find anything. The only thing I know I have is scoliosis with vexity to the left after my car accident. I also have severely large nasal polyps.