Neurology Community
Fizzing sound in neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-348 comments:
I'm 18 and I've been getting this feeling for years now... never been too concerned about it really.. Just wanted to know what it was.. It's weird that no one really knows..
But anyway.. like everyone else.. just happens when I'm laying down.. never when I'm sleeping or waking up though.. and no headaches or anything else like that.. I also kinda thought everyone had it.. guess not.
and @shalou78
I get the upper eye lid twitching thing too, but only on my right eye.. :( I have been worried about this one.. but not too worried cause it doesn't hurt.. never thought they were related.
I know EXACTLY the fizzing thing you are experiencing!  No one ever know what I'm talking about when I describe it.  I'm 25 now and I've been getting it randomly since I was about 17 or 18.  I've told many doctors about it and all of them look at me like I'm crazy.  I get the sensation in my neck and also in my jaw.  I have no idea what it is or what causes it but I'm at least glad now that I'm not crazy and that someone else has experienced this weird feeling!
I have the neck fizzing as well. I don't like not knowing what it is. Is there any one person that can help us to understand what this is related to. Even if you have some idea,please post it. I am afraid it may be serious. Those who know the words of prayer continue to pay for us all to receive answers!
Everything you guys are worried about, everyone gets. The eye twitching, ask everyone you know. Bet they had it some time in their life. The fizzles, I get that too all the time. It is just another mysterious thing that your body does. It is not a health issue. Some people just notice or even get these thing more often than other people. There is no reason to be scared. I was worried at first about the fizzle feeling and found out that I dont know anyone who hasn't felt that. If you are truely worried see a doc, they will do tests that will come back negative and you will be discouraged unless you realize there is nothing wrong. But if you are having pain in your neck then dont fool around. There is a number of possibilities that only your doc can figure out. So dont worry...Good Luck!
dont bother with the doctors, MRis or CAT scans! A waste of time and money .. NOOO doctor can figure it out! heres a kick .. check out how loud and bad the sound is when you are underwater.. and have you noticed this: on the EAST coast your symptoms are better.. but when you go out WEST your symptoms are much worse! Dry air, and higher elevations  really affects the poprocks and slurprocks!
Heres what I have found out about this, as an experienced poprocker:
You probably hurt your neck at some point in your life.
Cut out excessive caffeine
pop rocks are only on one side (right)
you may have a posterward neck with a pinched nerve in C4-6
more exercise helps the symptoms
If you are new to this, dont worry you are not going to die from it, it just drives you crazy then you get used to it.
dont bother with doctors NO ONE knows how to treat this
This is NOT something "everyone gets" and be careful who you tell about this because NO ONE understands it and they will think u are nutz!! Just read the posts!
You will love this! When I first got this I went to my supervisor and said that I was going to die and I had to leave work. I left and went to the emergency room and told them about poprocks and slurprocks. I told them to "put me under right now" so they did. I was out and relieved of this for quite a few hours then awoke and there it was again and no it never left
I have learned to live with this.. the doctors diagnosis??? Trigeminal Neuralgia. uh, no its not !! so what the hay is it? Its BOTHERSOME thats for sure! .
Wow I guess Im not crazy, seeing theres 200 of you posting about the same problem I have!  I only get it when I lay down like everyone else and it just recently started happening.  However, I have had some strange stomach problems for a while now.   My upper eye lid has also started to twitch.  I am not hungry when this "noise" happens.  I have been having some gastrointestinal issues more so in the past year and I'm not sure where they are coming from.  I have also put on some weight in the past couple of years, which may be related?  

I have no idea what this is but describing it as "pop rocks" is the best way I can put it.  I do not get headaches or pain when it happens but it is very loud and audible.  I know gastrointestinal issues can come from anxiety as well as medical conditions.  Is it possible this is linked to anxiety at all?? I am currently a student and often get stressed out and I noticed my eye twitching started when I began school again.  However, I know some medical conditions can also cause anxiety.  

I'm not sure if this is medical or psychological but it is very strange!! I haven't been to the doctor because I have a slight fear of going in (or maybe anxiety) but now it sounds like that won't be much help anyways haha.  Well if anyone has any helpful tips let me know! Hopefully this gets figured out!
Hi all fellow fizzers :)

Yes, I am yet another 'fizzer' amd at 39 I have had them for as long as I can remember (mine go up from my neck and feel like the bubbles disperse into my skull) and like many others I haven't said anything to anyone until last night when a friend mentioned them.  The relief to know I wasn't the only one was amazing! She sent me the link to these posts and OMG how amazing is it that we all experience it and yet all felt like we were the only ones? Bless Google for bringing us together lol

While reading through the posts, I started taking note of the commonalities that a majority of us (although not everyone) seem to share.  Not at all sure if they mean anything but maybe it will help link other symptoms (?)  to the fizzing senstation and maybe help toward getting us an answer.

* Eye brow/ eye lid twitches
* Depression/ Anxiety
* Overweight
* Hunger pains/ stomach noises
* Stress
* Reflux
* MRI contrasting (makes the fizzing worse)
* Sinus/ nasal drip
* Caffeine (especially in cool drink/pop)
* mouth breathing

Some other, not so common things that cropped up were
* parasites
* clicking when walking (and fizzies while walking too - which happens to me sometimes)
* high or low blood pressure

Although I am not overly worried about this, I am really interested in finding out what it is for certain (and if I need to start getting worried about it lol)
All -
I am a 41 year old male and have had this random symptom of "fizzing" in the neck for probably the last 25 years of my life.  When I first started getting it, like many of you, I was concerned.  I didn't think it was normal....but 25 years later, it's still going on and nothing has ever happened from it.  To be honest, I've learned to live with it.  What is it?  My theory is that it is allergy-related or some type of anxiety/stress related bodily reaction.  This is not my only "weird" symptom that I've had related to my head and neck region.  I have a laundry list of of symptoms that are so odd that I've never told anybody about them and just learn to ignore them.  None of these are painful, just very annoying.  Folks, I have lived with this stuff for 25 years and it's never done anything to me.  I will tell you that the more you think about the symptoms, the more pronounced they are (thus my suspicion that it may be part psychologically induced).  Here they are:

*  When I get up in the morning and run water over my head/take shower, my scalp muscles get tight and I get sensation of pressure in my head.  Sticking a Q-tip in my ear or blowing air into my ears seems to be my impulse to relieve this.  This tightness gets better as day goes on.  Oddly enough, if I wait and shower later in the day the tight scalp and face sensation is not nearly as bad.  Also, associate with this is a feeling of itchiness and nerve inflamation (inflammation) across shoulders.

* Going to sleep or after waking up from a restful sleep - the fizzing sound in my neck.  Like many of you, it seems to coincide with an empty stomach.

*  Constant popping in my ears and fullness.  

*  Varying degrees of pressure sensation in head.  Sometimes intense, sometimes subtle.  Seems to never really leave.

*  Muscle twitching in neck, scalp, face.

*  Eyelid twitching.

*  Some anxiety and depression associated with these symptoms for the past 15 years or so - didn't notice this so much in my earlier years.

*  I rarely get headaches but when I do, there are trigger factors:  being outside on a hot day and doing some type of activity (cutting grass).  Headaches that I do get almost always leads to nausea and vomiting.

Things that seem to relieve my symptoms:

*  exercise, exercise, exercise
*  stretching
*  sneezing

As I have said, I have lived with these symptoms for 25 years and I am a healthy individual overall.  Do I think the symptoms are normal?  No - but I have learned to cope with them and lead a normal life.  I have never had tests, MRIs, X-rays, etc on any of this.  All of my key bodily signs:  blood pressure, blood tests, etc. that I have had as part of yearly checkups are all completely normal.
I experience the same sensation and my wife can hear the sound coming from the base of my skull too. I have chronic neck pain from an accident and almost always have a headache.
I get this same bubble kind of noise you are talking about. It is on the posterior part of my neck at the base of my skull. It's kind of a fizzing nose. I know that cerebrospinal fluid travels through this area and I always thought it was this fluid making the noise. I have something called a chiari malformation (which means the back part of your brain is at risk of falling down into the opening at the base of your skull, where your spine goes into your skull) My malformation has been inactive and has never fallen into this are, so I am lucky. But now that I have been hearing this noise I am scared that something is going on with my Chiari malformation. I do not have insurace and cant go to a doctor. When the base of the brain falls into the opening for your spine, the cerebrospinal fluid can't get in and out of your barin properly. I am so scared that this is what the noise is from. 1 out of ever 1000 people has this malformation and it has no symptoms until it starts to fall into the gap I talked about. Most of the time doctors find a chairi by chance when they do a MRI on a person's head for some other reason.
I too experience the fizzing in my neck. From what I can remember its only when I am hungry. It doesnt matter if im standing, sitting or lying down, it just seems to rise up from the base of my neck and dispurse up into my skull. Ive had this ever since I can remember. Although I never knew what it was, never questioned what it was, and never even really thought of what it was. A few weeks ago, it happened again, and I finally thought to myself, I wonder what that is. I never dared to ask anyone, for the fear of being labeled crazy! But, after reading this site, I know Im not crazy and others experience this too.

I read a few posts talking about possible triggers.. And I do have a few of them.. such as High blood pressure, Stress, Headaches, and Neck Injury. Ive also had a back injury. And when I lay down at night, once in a great while, my scalp will start tingling, and it goes numb, just the scalp, nothing else... Not sure if any of these is part of the reason or not. But I guess Ill add my experiences to the hundreds of others, in hopes of one day knowing for sure what this is, what causes it, and why?
I thought it was a typical symptom of my Chiari Malformation.
Many posts here list Chiari symptoms!
Ask your neurosurgeon, check your MRI scan!!!!
Note that even a small herniation can cause symptoms, in contrast to what many doctors believe.
I've been reading about this on several forums. I had a neck injury and can't remember if the gurgling/fizzing started before then or not. I certainly remember it "starting" at some point and getting more frequent as time went on. However, I've noted that a lot of people complaining of this have thyroid issues and many of the other symptoms could be thyroid related (weight gain, headaches, anxiety). Mine got significantly worse this week when I got the flu.
I've had eyelid twitching too, one time for 2 months straight. I finally figured out that I needed more sleep to make that go away. The most amazing part is I've seen no doctors answer that really addresses this is any sort of complete way, but I think between us poprockers we can figure it out and inform them.
I also get the neck fizzles along with the Eye brow/ eye lid twitches, ihave Depression/ Anxiety, recently gained weight, it sometimes occurs with stomach noises, i am loaded with Stress, have a higher intake in Caffeine and this didn;t start for me until after giving birth to my daughter 15 months ago.  The biggest difference for me is that it does happen more often when I'm laying down but it also happens when I'm standing up.  Does that happen with anyone else?  And I also wonder how many of you have had and iv or spinal injection?  I had both of those when I was in labor and wonder if it's just bubbles in the veins or something?  Just curious if there were any thoughts on that.

I have this as well, Interestingly I noticed if i rub my upper back it, I hear a reduced version of it in correspondence with my movement. To respond to the previous poster. It can be heard when standing setting or laying everyday for myself.
my fiancee is having the same rushing fluid sound at the base of the skull,I request to the neurologists/doctors to come forward and solve this problem along with the medication/treatment of this popping sound,with complete diagnosis and medical help to us,Please Help.
i have this too and i didnt tell to anyone but in 70% sure that is Anxiety cuz i have that and i always have this after a long time doing in home work like 5 hours and start thinking omg tomorrow i have a exam omg omg omg and i didnt study jesus!! and then starts the sound  but the days that im cool and relax i dont have this

so is a mystery

thx google to join all of us !!
oh i forget the stress too cuz i have that too

so i think now is clear.... go to y¡the gym make some yoga ,eat heatly and this will stop i guess
*oh and im really hungry too when i heard that noise cuz this day im not eating well butr when i eat a lots of food in the night i can rest and i dont listen this too
I AM NOT ALONE YAY!!! I have it to, mine can be buzzing, audio or even like a shooting zap. Only when I lay down at night to go to bed or if i get up to fast to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and lay back down, there it is again.

I don't get headaches or pain. Only FREAKED out cause i don't know what it is. Makes me wonder if its blood rushing in the back of my neck?? Ive been getting them on and off since I was about 22, didn't bother me then so much but all of a sudden it is bothering me, maybe cause i get them more.

They are more often when i'm tired or stressed (hmmm funny that, I have had them more since I had my 2 little girls). I am so glad I have found this forum its like a ray of light. Not glad that I have found people that have it, cause its not nice to have, but glad I am not alone.

I want to go to the Doc's but I'm worried he will think im nuts, maybe after 2 babies he already thinks I am, so I might as well. Now that I know its more common I'm more game to get it checked out. I'll book in for next week and report back.
I also have the case of the Fizzles, im 18 male, and i experience it atleast once a week to two times a week. I asked my chiropractor and he looked at me like i was crazy haha. He said that hes never heard of the fizzies and i was the first person to tell him about that. He said something about nitrous gas bubbles forming near your spine naturally. I figured that wouldnt be the case or id explode if i got near a flame. My sensantion has been going on for 5yrs now with no problem but extreme annoyance. Sometimes in class it would happen during a test and i asked my friend if he heard it and it was just me. Atleast i know im not alone and not going crazy haha.
Nitrous gas bubbles haha, hey at least we can laugh about it i guess. I have done a bit more reading around and I found that some of these things are fixable, so we are not all crazy, if there is a known cure. Now I can't find the link, ill have another look around and get back to you.
I thought i was alone. I have this exact thing too. My husband doesnt understand me when i try to explain the noises in my neck to him. Always happens when i'm hungry and lying in bed. I also have mild anxiety, and a little overweight. Started last year when i was 28years old. Hurt my neck once on a trampoline when i was 10years old but not sure if this could be related, seems very delayed if it is. I have also had a 'Spinal' injection and an 'Epideral' when i have had my two boys. The noise is soo hard to explain, its just like most of you have said, a 'popping' 'fizzing' noise. No pain in my neck either just really annoying and scary to think something might be wrong. Does sound more common than i thought though...
I have had it for 3 years.
I have noticed it is mainly on the right side, if not always.
I have sinus problems, anxiety, overweight as well.
Its mainly triggered when I am hungry, walking (not everytime I walk, but when it happens its like every time i step with the right foot), when I turn my head, or when I am stressed.
I haven't talked to my doctor about it but I think/hope its nothing serious. I only had pain with it once when I was very dehydrated, hung over.
I am 26, F, Houston. No trauma. First time felt was in ICU while on a lasix and Magnesium Sulfate.
I myself have had this. I am a 22 year old male. Have had it for about almost a year now. It coincides with hunger pains I have either simultaneously of immediatly after a stomach pain. I have told my girlfriend about this and she told me to google it! Alas! others who also have this experience. My theory: Signals are shooting throughout your spine during hunger, and possibly we have very sensitive nerves for that particular signaling. Some people here are also very close within the same age. Perhaps it is something we acquired through early adulthood/late adolescence. Whatever this is, we are not alone. Someday we can maybe find an answer. ALSO! I was diagnosed with severe depression more than a year ago. Odd.
I investigated this thoroughly when I was about 20, and the road eventually lead to a nuerosurgeon who offered a plausible explanation.

He said as bones rub together they release nitrogen. So as you walk during the day the bones in the spine are rubbing together which can sometimes also cause a clicking sound.

The noise happens when nitrogen is released.For example - If you pop your nuckles the popping sound isn't just joints rubbing together... its nitrogen that is being released all at once.

As he explained it, as the muscles relax in the neck and the weight of the head isn't bearing down on the spine when laying down;  the nitrogen slow ly releases in the neck. The reason the fizzing sound can be heard is because the vertebrae in question are likely near the inner workings of the ear.

This fizzing can be a sign of a degenerative neck. If the neck doesn't have a natural curve and bones constantly rub together than they can wear down over a long period of time.

I hope this helps others.
I've had the exact same thing since I was about 19 (I'm 34 now). I worried about what it could be, got friends to listen to the back of my head, etc etc... but finally figured out what it was a few years ago. In my case it's something churning or bubbling in my stomach or intestines, and the sensation seems to travel up my spine. Perhaps on certain occasions the intestines touch a nerve near the spine or something. Anyway I proved to myself that this is what it was by listening with a stethoscope to my abdominal area when this sensation occurred. It's definitely something bubbling in my guts, and transmitting the sensation up to my head so it feeld like it's actually happening in my head. At least that's what it seems to be for me. Maybe you should try that?
Reporting back, so I told the Doc about the crazy zap I get in the back of my head. He was very casual about it, "yes I have heard of this and its common". That made me feel better.

Anyhow he told me it's to do with rushing of blood. When you lay down the beating of your heart changes, so you can get a rush of blood to your head and you can hear it. He sent me for a catscan and everything was normal. The Doc also told me to drink plenty of water... hmmm strange.

However I did do some more research and I found a thread where a guy wrote he has it and was told to stop having artifical sweetners. Alarm bells went off as i was drinking ALOT of diet coke. I stopped straight away and drank plenty of water, I'm also a strong believer in prayer so i did that to, as the whole thing was freaking me out.

I started these changes about 4 weeks ago and not ONE zap. I don't know what it has done but i'm sticking to it, cause at the moment I'm zap free.

Just adding my name to the list here so we all feel less alone.  I have had the neck fizzies all my life.  I have always linked them to hunger or not exactly hunger but having not eaten for quite some time.  I noticed someone else mentioned eye twiching and I will say I could conclusively associate that as a rarely noticed occasional synonymous symptom.  I have also had a pinched nerve in my neck/back, but that was quite recent, and I've always had the fizzies.  They never have bothered me and they only happen briefly.  I usually just take it as a sign I probably need to eat something.  I have never asked anyone about them because I just really didn't think they were anything to worry about.  But I have mentioned I have them to other people and have gotten the puzzled reactions many of you mention others have given you.  We should all just start a club. :o)
I'm 43 and have had these sensations since college. Always wondered what they were, but never hurt me and never changed my lifestyle. Mine definitely appear after a hunger pang or stomach growling. Lately, though, I've had a lot of fullness and pressure in my head and neck as well. Not real painful, but I'm getting concerned about it. Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Just reporting back. Still not one single zap...its going well.
I have had the fizzing sound in my throat for as long as I can remember, (I am 40) and always thought it was a normal digestion type sound. I was never alarmed by it until I told my husband about it and he clearly didn't know what I was talking about. Then asked my brother and he didn't now either. Started researching and found info but nobody seems to no what it is for sure. I will tell you that if I ever drink alcohol I notice it as a stronger sound in the night/morning. I started experimenting with acid reflux medicines, digestive enzymes, eliminating certain foods. Nothing got rid of it. I started thinking maybe hpylori as some others have suggested so I started Mastic Gum. Within a week I could hear the sound getting softer each morning. But it still remained. I have upped my dosage now to 1000mg in morning and 1000 mg at night and have not had 1 fizzing sound in 5 days. I've had the sound every morning consistently for years. It is interesting to say the least but I realize it could be coincidence. Just wanted to share this bit of info.  Have been taking the supplement for 3 weeks now. Will update in the future if it remains gone.
Hi everyone,

I also get the fizzing sound. But not when moving my head/neck, only after I feel a sad emotion. When I feel the fizzing sound at the end of my exhale (its always at the end of my exhale, can anyone confirm this?), it feels like the sad emotion is being released, like a physical manifestation of catharsis.

Does anyone else associate it with emotion?
Same thing here.  Never hear of it before with anyone else.  It goes just like this.  I'm a little hungry.  I hear the sound in the base of my neck and then immediately my stomach rumbles.  The stomach nerves and this thing at the base of my neck must be related??  One thing is for sure, after that I MUST eat or my stomach will gnaw me to distraction.
me too. I used to sleep funny when I was a kid, my parents called it "rocking," according to a chiropractor, about twenty years ago or so, I had slightly "spindled" my spine in the process--he did what he could, and it did help, but there is still a "flat spot" between my shoulder blades where the spine would normally have its natural curve. I wondering how much this history of mine contributed to the "fizzing" sounds in my neck(happens most often when I lay down--especially when I first wake up in the morning). someone mentioned the "compression of spinal fluids," I also have heard that it is actually nitrogen moving through little gaps and spaces created by any number of conditions and/or processes. as to the harm aspect--I have no idea.... in my case, the sounds seem to be accompanied by pressure in head and neck.
I'm 22 live in canada I have these fizzling, bubbling sounds going down my spine too I am surprised to see so many other people with the same problem and yet no one has a solution or answer as to why it happens. Could it be a neurological disorder or a developing disorder because my family has parkinsons does anyone else have family history with any other neurological diseases? I cannot say this is the reason but wheen I do neck exercises like circles the fizzes go away faster down or up the back of my neck. I don't get much headaches I try to deal with stress effectively by keeping my mind clear and dealing with lifes obstacles accordingly but is that also a factor of age that I am still young? no I think stress is more of things that the mind holds on to in the form of unanswered life questions and confusion.  
I always WANT the draining/fizzing feeling, it takes the pain from my 6 year old chronic cluster headaches away instantly!  (If the draining feels like it is coming from behind my eye in my brain.)

But: I ALSO get the fizzing feeling at the base of my neck at the same or around the same time as my stomach (or nearby organ) also makes a similar sound.

Maybe there are two phenomenon going on here:
1 - related to stomach noises (in neck)
2 - related to anxiety / insomnia / headaches (in brain area)

Thoughts?
Hello my name is Erin I am only 18 years old, for about a year I have been experiencing the same sound and headpains. I also get muscles twitches and bubbling in the back if my head and temples. All these things really freak me out and sometimes give me anxiety attacks I really wish I had answers so I could really start living my life and nit be held back :(
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT THING GOING ON....THIS STARTED AFTER I STOPPED TAKING A ANTI-DEPRESSANT IM THINKING IT'S CAUSED BY TAKING THE PILLS....I HAVENT TAKEN THEM IN ABOUT 3 YEARS
i guess this also, im 18 haha neva told anyone about it i thought it might of been like nerve endings in my neck that were sposed to travel to my brain to tell me that i was hungry but yer jst had them then and was curious to see if there was an answer to it but i guess not , but i dont its a good indication to me , to go cook myself a big feed of bacon and eggs or something ahahaha
hi there! i can also hear that sound at the back of my neck.. but i seldom hear them... i cannot remember if it happens when i'm hungry or what. anyway, nice to know i'm not alone. lol
I am a 21 year old female and have just started hearing/feeling these bubbles in the past couple of years. I stopped taking anti-depression/anxiety meds two years ago. I drink a lot of soda and I am also a little overweight. Mine are also associated with muscle tension and headaches. I have recently been getting worried about it because it seems like I have bad pressure inside of my skull. I don't really associate with hunger pains but I do notice it is when I move my head different angles and in the morning.
My guess is that is it the cerebrospinal fluid entering the skull which would explain the the chiara malformation. If the brain is putting pressure on the opening of the connection to the spinal cord, it would move places when the head is tilted and allow the fluid to rush in which could cause the bubbles. I am getting up the courage to ask for an MRI because this could be dangerous.
I hope this helps. I am glad that it is not only me! I have asked people if they can hear the fizzing and they have no idea what I am talking about.
I get it when Im hungry as well, not hungry like the feeling you get mentally, but physical hunger when your stomach rumbles and you feel kinda sick to the stomach. Shortly before or after the stomach rumble I get the fizzles in my neck.  I just turned 22 and remember first noticing it when I was 8 or so years old.  I doubt that the fizzles have to do with being over weight or from being on anti depressant medications. Thats because the first time I noticed it, (again 8 years old), I was skinny and not on any medications, other than Ritalin for ADD. I have a explanation that people who are very perceptive, also tend to have problems with anxiety or depression, and in my opinion these same people are more likely to notice the fizzle noise in their neck. I honestly think its a common thing among people, but most people are unaware of it due to a lack of being perceptive. Its similar in some ways to tinnitus (ringing in the ears), this is something that I have noticed since I was about 11 or 12 years old. I sometimes have episodes of worry/anxiety and paying attention to it for several weeks or months and then I get over it.  I think everyone has ringing in their ears to varying degrees, some worse than others of course, but its just people who are perceptive notice it more.  So to sum it all up, I think its perfectly safe to have the fizzles when you are hungry.
SSFI (Sudden Spinal Fluid Irregularity)

Medical Health Concern? Unknown

To simulate an SSFI event:

1. Place finger tips on back of neck.
2. Slide finger tips up into hair on back of head.
3. While pressing firmly, drag finger tips back down neck.

The fizzy, traveling sound achieved by doing this is similar to the sound SSFI suffers experience during this sudden and brief event. In addition, SSFI sufferers can feel the event which is mild in intensity and not painful.
This fleeting event can be heard through use of a stethescope.

SSFI is often related to a simultaneous feeling of hunger and emptiness in the stomach during morning hours, often experiences while lying down.

Caution is advised in doctors caring for patients experiencing SSFI.

SSFI has a tendency to occur in patients experiencing other disorders:

- headache
- hypertension
- obesity
- slurred speech
- memory problems
- MS
- spinal disorders/trauma
- tumors
- aneurysm
- anxiety

Treatment: Unknown
Hi im 21 male and i suffer with the same thing. It ataryed out with a clicking sound in my neck when i used to walk this dissapeared after a while. Then one morning it was replaced by the strangest of all sensation which to me sounds like a fizzing sound running from the base of my skull. I complained to my Doctor and very quickly refered me to a neurologist "ICATS" to see if i had a mild form of Multiple Sclorosis. I was then sent for a MRI scan of my brain & neck everything come back clear absolutely nothing. I am just wondering if it's actually a problem with hearing as i can only hear the fizzing but cant feel it.
Just another check in, 28 years old male. I get the same fizzing noise for the last 2-3 years. I get it usually when surfing the internet from the bed, where my neck is slight upward while laying down flat. At first I thought it was just obstructed blood flow, but reading this information here I think there is plenty of people with the same problem. I think its in our best interest to record an event to show our doctors (video!). We need to get this diagnosed and without an event happening while the doctor is present, we need something so they don't think we are crazy.

Here is some information about me because maybe we all fit into the same category. Does it happen to everyone while laying down, sitting, or standing. Does it mostly happen in the am , pm, or whenever , is everyone overweight or in shape?

I'm overweight, happens throughout the day but mostly in the AM when I first wake up and am hungry. Mostly happens while laying down, not standing up.
Yeah one here, more it's happening to me right now...

Worst case scenario: It's a tapeworm coming up through your mouth because you haven't eaten in a while and he's hungry (also explains the stomach noises sometimes accompanying the sensation).

Best case scenario: It's just some kind of gas that gets out of your digestive tract when you haven't been eating enough food to keep it down/cover it up.  Basically it could just be air.
Fellow Fizzers!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! WHEW!  The doctor thought I was plum crazy!  I'm 26, and when I hear my head talking to me (fizzing).... IT'S TIME TO EAT! Then it will go away. I've been looking for a discussion thread on this topic for years!
Fellow Fizzers!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!! WHEW!  The doctor thought I was plum crazy.  I'm 26, and when I hear my head talking to me (fizzing).... IT'S TIME TO EAT. Then it will go away. No superpowers or anything, darn LOL.
I noticed the fizzing about a month ago. Reading this Ive noticed alot of people have similar subsequent symptoms, anxiety, weight gain, stomach problems.... I have Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and anxiety/depression. aaand im 40 weeks pregnant. Ive researched, and all of my medical conditions are related to each other, besides being pregnant of course,  they are autoimmune disorders. Im glad to know im not the only one with the fizzies, but it would be nice if someone could tell us what it is! oh and I noticed its worse when im laying down, especially while swimming.
I hear the same thing most of the time when I am hungary, I think it might have something to do with your metabolism, because after I eat somthing the sound stops and it is exactally how you describe. I've had this problem since I was younger about 14 I'm 22 now. But It def feels good to know I'm not the only person with this problem though.
I have had this FOREVER, along with chronic headaches since I was about 10. I've never had insurance so I just tried to ignore the sound but I've been noticing it more lately. Good to know I'm not CRAZY! Nobody ever knew what I was talking about!
It sounds to me like you all have some form of Tinnitus.

This is where your brain stops filtering out your bodies normal sounds.

The fizzing/crackling is the sounds your stomach/digestive tract make regularly.

I too have the fizzle nooise or the relation to pop rocks sounds about right mine is at the back of my head at the bottom where the neck and head attach. I too thought I was crazy even got looked at like I was crazy when I finally told my hubby about it one day but I quickly moved on to other subjects becasue of the look he gave me. I have had some pretty serious medical crap over the last 10 years so not good. Thanks for the relief. Happy buzzing to all, ugggggggggg
I too have had this problem and its associated with my stomach growls mostly when lying down. I also have a history of depression, anxiety, fibromyalga (fibromyalgia), pyschosis, and obesity.
So I'm lying here in bed and the "fizzies" start up in the back of my head. I grab my trusty iPhone and search for an answer. To my surprise, no answer but so many other people with the same issue. I don't suffer from headaches though. I was able to tie my "fizzing" to a gurgling in my abdomen. I know, "wierd". I usually can hear or feel in in my abdomen, maybe because I'm too distracted by the "voices in my head", but at least in my case there seems to be a correlation.
The human body is a complex, living, breathing, growing organism. It releases air, gas and fluids into and out of thousands of places every moment of every day. This process is obviously going to make little sounds and smell funny and feel weird, and no Dr or scan or any other kind of diagnosis is going to change this normal fact of human life.
Oh my goodness I've had the same sensation although I described it differently. It sounds like a faucet being turned on inside my head. It always happends when I'm asleep and I also have frequent migraines. Its very scary and I too am awake very early still in bed googling this symptom. I was so relieved to discover so many others have the same symptoms.
I thought my Fizzing or running a faucet in my ear was an ear infection, thank you for clearing it up.  I've had many neck injuries and back problems, just now I have a stiff neck and was massaging it when I got up to drink more water Fizz time!  I am overweight due to my hypothyroidism and just started on a new weight loss super caffeine pills that make you feel full. I can remember as an anorexic/ bulimic teenager hearing the fizzes too. I see the hunger connection. At least eat something! that's my new motto.  Thanks again and peace and blessings to you all.
Here is the answer to the pops rocks sound (only if this sound/sensation in on the side of the neck next to the artery), I have always explained it as the sound a hula hoop makes, but I now like how you all term it.

Many people will try to tell you the cerebral spinal fluid is "only" reabsorbed at the arachnoid villi, but that is untrue!  Lymphatic pathways are another route,this is a fact! My neuro, neuro opthamolgist, and neuro surgeon proved it.

I know this is what you all are hearing/feeling because I have high intracranial pressure, I feel and hear when pressure is too high, ear whoosing that goes along with the heartbeat, visual symptoms,eye pulsation with heartbeat, headaches, cognitive symptoms, I get relief when I hear the pops rocks/hula hoop sensation sound down the right side of my neck, sometimes the noise and sensation goes on for several minutes throughout the day, noticing it most when I lay down like many of you mentioned.  

I read through most of the posts and laughed HARD at the person who criticied another poster stating that spinal fluid does now run down your spine, wow, how wrong you are!  With every heartbeat, blood is pumped into the brain which in turn forces cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) out of the brain and into the spinal area.   During the second phase of the cardiac cycle, this is reversed and CSF flows back into the brain from the spine, duhhhhhh!
Forgot to add to my thought, when I do get the sound/sensation I finally get relief from all the other issues im having so my thought was that this is csf fluid releasing, being absorbed, or directed through the lymphatic system
I have had this noise for many years.
along with anxiety depression
weight gain
hunger pain
eye twitching!
weird. and I was recently diagnosed low thyroid
I am so glad that I looked this up today. I also thought that I was the only one with " the neck sounds." I have always descibed it to myself of course as beads rolling around or bubbles.
i am a "fizzer" too.  i tried to explain this to my doc and husband and yes they all look at me like i am nutz!  mine is just random, it does it when ever it wants to.  i have this fear that it is atributed to alzheimers.  That runs in my family, so i am nervous about that.  I am 43 and have had this for many years.  At least i am not alone now.
I am no doctor but let me share what I think it is.  When you lay down your neck is no longer in the straight up down alignment, this causes the bones and passageways to shift and pinch.  The spinal fluid that flows through the spine goes all the way up in to the back of the head.  When you lay down or get in a position that pinches the passage way this causes flow restrictions.   As the spinal fluid pushes through it causes the "fizzing" sound.  Sorta like pinching a garden hose.  My thoughts, hope it helps.  I have the same issues too.  Plus when you are laying down everything is quiet and you are more receptive to the sounds of your normal body.      
Omg.!!! So many years and I see I am not alone..was just explaining to my husband and told him friends and family tell me I'm crazy...lol feel better know even thoe I see theres no explanation for this...:)
i have had this prob for years along with alot of peeps,when i lie down,if i am really tired i also get a clicking in the base of my skull .i do have probs high bp,had brain aneurysm and surgery to remove damaged veins,ibs,kidney stones,five collapsed discs at bottom of spine and four fused at the top of spine.i think the theory of the bones sending of bubbles sounds right because when it happens if i put my hand on neck i can feel the hissing change tone when pressed,to those who dont know how it feels its like, its like wind in your tummy the bubbling and hissing its that sensation but in the neck/head.i myst add it is worse when i go swimming,i do think some of you have answered my questions the ones i,ve not bothered asking the docs in case they think i am going mad.///nina
I think the eyelid twitching just means you need sleep and your eyelids want to rest. Thats what my mom told me when i was a kid. Everyone gets this, even kids. I only get that when I'm lacking sleep.
I've been experiencing that "fizzing" sound / sensation in the back of my neck near the base of my skull for as long as I can remember. I am 33 years old and have never made the association with being hungry.  But that's s exactly it.  It never really concerned me though, I was just curious as to what it might be.  I do not have any other symptoms other than the fizzing sensation rushing through my neck that lasts about 10 seconds.
that is so scary, i wonder if a very hard strain can cause this.. I know all of a sudden some years back I had spiral meningitis, then I had severe headaches that made me cry, not normal headaches. These headaches felt like a charlie horse on the brain, felt paralyzing. then i got the pop rock feelings, one way I can release the pressure is when i am in my car and push my head hard back into the head rest sometimes i have to turn my head just right, and i feel a crack in my skull and the pressure is gone. It swells up in the back if i sleep wrong.
Omg so glad I looked here. No one ever seems to know what I'm talking about. Take two strands of hair and rub them together between two fingers. That's the closest I've come to reproducing the sound. Feels like sand. And only when I am hungry.
Its your thyroid drawing energy reserves from your body and releases them into your bloodstream. When you're hungry, your brain sends signals directly to your thyroid, which is located in your neck, and tells it to scrounge for energy. When you feel this sensation, its best to get up n grab some food.
From a fitness standpoint, this degrades your muscles, as this scrounging for energy takes protein and other much needed nutrients away from your body to survive
I'm 19 years old, & also experience this fizzy crackling sound. But I only hear/feel it happen during the middle of the night. I might just wake up, and while laying there waiting to fall back asleep it'll happen. BUT I never get hungry when it happens, my eyes don't twitch when it happens, it doesn't cause headaches.

It's annoying though. And being a worry wart, it kinda scares me, because seriously...what could it be?

I'm not overweight, I don't drink, I don't smoke. I do catch myself slouching during the day and did yoga for a while but stopped. I really don't know when this started either... I haven't told anyone but just for the fact it doesn't cross my mind when I'm talking to my mom.

But yeah, always in the middle of the night. The only reason why in looking it up is because last night it happened while I was sleeping and it was very loud, and ringing? Maybe it was just in my dream, the ringing sound. And I woke up but t stopped. Who knows...I just do not like the sensation of this fizzy stuff.
Can you tell me where/how you found this SSFI information? I have had cervical problems for years, migraines, beginning to develope more complex neurological issues, and just began having the fizzies in Nov. 2011. Dr. just sent me for a MRA last Thru.; no results yet. Needless, to say, I thought I was the only fizzie peep. My fizzies are on the right side, base of the skull, and really creep me out. I've been researching with limited results. I was curious about your information; but unable to find anything else out there with google. Please help. Thanks!
I have the fizzing pop rocks sensation to.  I to  thought I was the only one...........My fizzing started after I got 3 cortozones shots in the base of my sp
ine. I was in a car accident. I have 2 slipped discs.       " I just had it happen to me just now the fizzing pop rocks sensation. I am currently sitting and i just had a big plate turkey and mash potatoes about an hour ago.  
I have the same thing. I had a 7 second experience the other day. When lying down the Pancreas rests on the spine. In me its my pancreas reverberating my spine when its squirting.
Intracranial hypertension was exactly what I was researching when I came across this thread.  I was surprised that it took so long for someone to mention it.  Thanks! :)
I also have the bubble sound in my head. It's difficult to tell where the sounds are coming from but it is for sure on the left side of my head because I can only hear it in my left ear. It seems very close to my left ear and slightly below. It also seems to be deep inside my head and definitely not inside my ear, it seems to come from inside the brain cavity.  It has been getting much louder recently but I've had it for at least the last five years. The bubbles come in waves and last a few seconds then pause for maybe a minute or so and then they come again. It always occurs when I'm laying down and usually on my left side. I've never noticed it while standing up. There is no pain or headache involved with it but almost always my stomach gurgles either right before or right after the bubbles in my head. My stomach and the sounds in my head are definitely related somehow.  It's the strangest thing, but I haven't told my doctor about it since it doesn't seem to have any negative issues associated with it. But it has been so loud lately I was a bit worried. It makes me think there's a big space inside my brain that fluid is getting pushed through.
I have been looking everyone to find what is causing this problem. I have been getting this hissing/buzzing sound in the back of my neck/head for maybe a year or so... but it starts to get worse when I am stressed out.
It only happens when I am relaxed. I start getting headaches and my jaw starts hurting afterwards. It almost feels like I need to crack my neck, but i can't crack it, if i try my neck hurts even worse. I never had any neck injury.
I am 20 years old. I drink a lot of soda, i don't really work out either... I want to go to the doctors, but i am afraid they are going to look at me like I am crazy. I dunno if it is nerve damage or what..
I'm curious about the "fizzies" too...as I get them.   I wonder, have any of  you ever been to a chiropractor?  I was wondering if mine might have damaged something in my neck from Popping it so many years.
sometimes and specially when im laying down i hear fizzing sound in back of my neck and i feel like my bone marrow is moving and then a ralaxng feeling like sombody massaged my back so my guess is it is the inside of neck bone is moving or other thing happeninng there ..... anybody has medical opinion let us know
i get this also..... its like your putting fries in a deep frier.... stop worrying its nothing major..... i have been going to the chrio for treatment.... and i muscle are so tight.... he has explained that the noise is actually you muscle and neves FIGHTING......
Wow! I can't believe others are having the same symptoms.  I'm not crazy, although that's the look I get when I tell people about it.  It's been happening for a couple of years now and I still haven't found an explanation!
Im 25 years old and have been getting the pinched water hose sound in my head for years, i am trying to pinpoint the cause of this and em just wondering how many of you sleep on your stomach... its a long shot but maybe that has something to do with it...
Hello, I am 29 and I have had these symptoms for 10 years now.  I have taken an alternative approach to helping me with them.  I have noticed that the neck fizzles I feel and my digestive system go hand in hand. According to Ayurveda it says that the digestive chakra and the neck are connected.  specifically the back of the neck or sides.  I hear the fizzing in the back. I used to be constipated everyday and I have been focusing on taking probiotics and eating better.  I cut out coffee and try not to eat toxic meat and DAIRY.  IF IT ROTS AT ROOM TEMP, IT WILL ROT IN YOUR BODY. Ever since I have done that, I have noticed a huge change!! happens just a few times a week now.  I have also started focusing on posture a little more.  I will start meditating soon too and supposedly it can help.  I have included an article from a site I just found, I thought it was interesting. http://www.merrynjose.com/artman/publish/article_406.shtml   HOPE THIS HELPS!
I have had this same exact problem since i was little .I would tell my parents and my mother would be quite concerned but we never really acted on it. I get this fluid run up sensation in my neck region and it is accompanied by sickening stomach pains (kinda feels like hunger but with the nausea feeling). Sometime it is very very annoying when i sleep. I just had this thing when i was standing in the dinner line in school. i almost felt like throwing up. These things are terrifying. i feel really sick. it is almost like a nightmare. I am really happy that there are so many others with this problem as everyone else just laugh when i tell them what is going on.
I too have this fizzing sound in the back of my neck when I'm laying down and sitting at my desk. I've been trying to find answers through out the internet with no success. I also mite think because I have a hump on my upperback/neck area that I think its coming from. I asked my doctor what she thought it was but she just said its normal for people with bad posture, but I'm 19... And yeah I lean over things but not nearly as much as some people I know my age and they are fine. It just seems to be rather large for my age, and its been visible to me since I was 12. I'm very self concious about it. I'm also getting these headaches except in both the back and the front. Sometimes near my eyes its really painful.

I had a cat scan to see if anything was wrong and apparently not however this fizzing noise is scaring me, I don't understand why doctors don't have answers for this.
hmm yea i think you are right cuz now that im having a more healthy life the fizz sounds are very rare  and i dont drink soda  now and i stop eating trash food.
but wat i found interesting is that when i was a child i eat a lots of those artificial sweetners direct from the box but still i dont thing that is a key thing about the fizz sounds .anyway that must be the key to end the fizz noises just drinking lots of water and living a more healthy life .

hope this help others
I had this same thing! It sounded like a rain stick or fizzing at the nape of my neck. I noticed it when sitting or laying down, and when I was hungry. I changed my diet recently (drastically cut out sugars and carbs), lost 20 pounds, and this sensation has disappeared for about 3 months...
soo, how is your fizzing? has it stopped completely or has it returned? I am currently experiencing the same exact feeling and its beginning to drive me nuts, i just want to know WHAT THE HECK IS CAUSING THIS! let me know i would greatly appreciate it im glad your symptoms have subsided. thanks

-Ryan
well I have been dieting and ive lost 68 pounds but i still hear the popping rocks/sizzling that literally follows whatever my stomach is doing so idk if weight is the problem. Im also 19 and this has been going on for months now. I want to go to the doctor but ever since my palpitations ive been there waaay too much for small things that dont even matter so i dont want to be embarrassed when they look at me like, ur back again seriously? and i dont think the palps have anything to do with it because Ive had them for a year without this sound, just like ive been overweight for 12 years without this sound. All i can say is that this symptom along with a few eye floaters is a bit annoying. Someone pleeaaasssse c a doctor about this and let us know what happened!!
I had the fizzing as a child and rarely as an adult but happened to find this forum because I have it right now due to a cold. I think sinusitis, and dry air definitely contribute.
Im so glad I am not the only one experiencing this annoyance.  It has been going on with me for about 6 years now and happens randomly.   It happens almost every time following my tummy growling.  Im surprised with so many comments there isnt an offical term for this and an explanation of what is really going on.
im 17 and about 3 days ago found these same symptoms... also a stiff neck
I am 40 and have had this same "rainstick" sound at the base of my neck for as long as I can remember.  I can actually feel the fluid moving down from my brain and into my spine, but I can't really describe what it feels like.  It usually occurs when I change positions when laying down, sometimes I can do it repeatedly.  I know I am not crazy because on one occasion my teenage son and wife actually heard it in a quiet room about 6 months ago and my wife just heard it again this morning. It kind of freaks her out when she hears it.  I always just assumed that it happened to everyone and never paid any attention to it.  Has anyone had someone else hear the sound?
At last! I have found my tribe. I come in peace.
me too! I'm a 29yr old female. I think it is related to stomach/hunger/digestion as others have suggested... as I usually get it first up in the morning or when im hungry, most often laying down but sometimes at my desk sitting. I do suffer from some anxiety/depression which has been up lately, and that's when I started noticing it. I'm thinking this is just because anxiety causes us to be hyper-aware of what's happening in our bodies, so something we may have ignored before is now quite noticeable. I remember having these fizzies years ago in my early to mid 20s, and was never overly concerned - just curious really. I don't seem to get them after I eat. I'm not sure if it's connected by I also get quite 'bubbly' in my stomach at times and can often burp a lot either from long periods of not eating or just after I eat. I've always had this bubbling/gassiness in my stomach but found it reduces with a healthier diet and regular exercise. which is also helpful for my anxiety!

I would say to all of you that if it worries you, mention it to your doctor because some piece of mind goes a long way, especially if you suffer from anxiety.  If your doctor ever makes you feel silly or crazy for asking ANYTHING then you need a new doctor. I've finally found one who I can tell/ask anything to and it's worth the search. Goodluck fellow fizzers!
I too have this strange fizzing sensation often near my pulse in my neck when I feel very fatigued and short of breath and sometimes dizzy. Sometimes I can feel and hear it in the base of my skull in the back.

I noticed that my mpv is high, and my red blood count is a bit low.

This was also the case in my last CBC 8 months ago, but at that time it was a bit more dramatic.

The CBC before that was 17 months ago, and my red blood count was on the very low end of normal, and my mpv was above normal.

The last test for RBC and MPV that was completely normal was in 2007. From what I recall, chest pains, numbness, and a feeling of weakeness in my hands and feet (mostly right side) started around 2007 or 2008 and became more frequent over the years. Shortness of breath & facial numbness/weak feeling started a couple of years ago and became much more frequent.

In the last 9 months, swelling, starting in both calves and then in my right calf and right forearm have concerned me.

In the past, my doctor said that none of the test results were cause for too much concern, but it seems that the possible effects of the irregularities are in line with many of the symptoms I have been having.

I did have to take iron for a little while due to brief anemia, but this was during a very stressful time in life where I had not been eating enough for months.  I am no longer anemic.

I did pass out on an elevator once after giving blood, long before I was diagnosed as anemic.

The other concerns include dizziness, twitching, and low blood pressure. The dizziness happened occasionally, became severe about 8 months ago, and never fully went away, though it is less severe now. Twitching started around the same time and has also not ceased--mostly in my right calf, right thigh, right gluteal muscle, right arm, & right eye, but also happen on the left side of my body occasionally. They also seem to happen in my neck and chest, but it is hard to tell there because it feels like my pulse is changing speeds. Since all my EKGs have been normal, perhaps it is either other muscles or my blood pressure.

My blood pressure tends to run low, but it seems that when it is very low (no doctor has ever given me a precise number as to what that is, but there have been multiple nurses concerned about the low level of BP I have on occasion) I tend to not feel well and have more symptoms.

Also, I appear to be having arthritic type of symptoms in my fingers as of the last couple of weeks.

The shortness of breath just feels like I can't get enough oxygen and then eventually my lungs automatically take a breath that kind of surpises me, without my conscious initiation, more autonomically.

Right now the joints in my fingers hurt/are stiff, and my right arm is aching, feels tense, and my right calf and eyes have some twitching...this has become normal in any given moment for me.
I've had this fizzing for years and recently have linked it to wind in my tummy. I've IBS and it happens more often when I have a flare up. It's weird and like you all, no one can explain it to me. I'm wondering if you all suffer with excess gas and it is literally what it sounds like, a fizz or release of gas?
I'm a fizzer too,

I have been for 15 - 20 years.

Same description but my bubbles seem to come from inside the lower part of brain.

My wife can hear them at night too so i knew i wasnt crazy,

I had a brain tumor several years ago and Director of Neurosurgery at Emory University Hospital and a Neurosurgeon Barnes/Washington University Med School both looked at me like I was on drugs.

I have never experienced any pain and I am so glad to know I am not alone on this. I often wondered if I was just going to keel over and die one day but i keep on ticking.

If anyone ever gets any legit info from a Doc...... PLEASE POST IT HERE.

Mike From Atlantic Beach, FL
I experience this too! I was laying in bed this morning and heard the fizzing yet again so I decided to do research and found this forum. I suffer from migraines and take sandomigran every night. Could this have something to do with migraines? And I think I get ice pick headaches sometimes but in the right side of my head.
Based on how long this thread has been around, I'm not expecting any answers.  But it's comforting to hear others have similar symptoms.  I've had the bubbling/fizzing from the back of my neck to the base of my head for years.  It happens randomly, usually when I'm laying down but not always.  I don't have any pain associated with it.  In fact, it's a rare thing for me to ever get headaches.  I asked my wife if it ever happens to her (thinking maybe it's just a normal random experience), and she looked at me like I was crazy.  Perhaps she's a doctor at heart!  LOL!  
This definitely isn't normal, and from what I've learned, it could be a precursor to a stroke! I'd ask for a MRA AND an MRI AND a carotid artery ultrasound from a cardiologist, if dr. won't refer you, find another dr. Some don't like to "share the pie" so to speak, it could be something that may last a long time but then....boom! Aneurism (aneurysm) (blod clot in brain, or many other serious factors) I certainly wouldn't ignore this & it's NOT normal I can tell you that! I'll bet there is a common factor amongst everyone! Either artificial sweetners, some perservatives, parasite (living with animals) get de-wormed, we de-worm THEM every year! Also yes, drinking more water, exercising, eating healthier certainly rules out a lot of symptoms, it worked for the one dude on here so that just proves it's probably dietary.  Also, it could be from environmental pollutants that we're bombarded with, unfiltered drinking water (the fluride they put in isn't the good kind for your teeth in case many didn't know) I used to not be aware of this! Anyway, I wouldn't ignore it for sure! God bless!
Have any of you experienced head trauma? I have had this since I was in my teens and I assumed it had to do with an accident playing softball that had knocked several teeth out and was followed by repeated dental surgeries. I have always described it as "pouring sand"- and until reading this had not realized that it happens usually in the morning and while lying down. I always thought it may be a subtle symptom of dehydration since I don't drink enough water.
I was happy and disturbed to see I'm not the only one with fizzing soda sounds in my neck, but wish there was an answer.  Btw it only happens when I lay down.  Out of curiosity, does anyone here gaving these symptoms have rhumatoid arthritis?
Found this on Livestrong.com:

Joint Popping from Gas Pressures
The joints in your neck are surrounded by a joint capsule. It is like a tube sock that runs from below the joint to above it. That capsule is filled with a fluid that provides lubrication to the joint surfaces. In that fluid, certain microscopic bubbles of gas are present and when you twist the joint capsule, you increase the pressure on those gas bubbles and they pop through the capsule lining and make the noise you hear. This is not harmful to the joint. You'll also notice this kind of noise can't be done again until the joint gasses have time to form again.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/436357-neck-cracks-crunches/#ixzz2NX07jvcV
There is a passage between the spinal meninges and the cranial (brain) meninges that allows the fluid to circulate. This passage is of varying size and sometimes gas bubbles pass this passage and we hear it loud because bones tend to transmit sound quite well. A neurologist implanted a tiny microphone at the base if my skull as a teenager as part of a research project in Houston Texas to study blood vessel noise (aneurisyms) and these bubbling/fizzing sounds were observed back in the 70's. It could be excess nitrogen, carbon dioxide and a number of other gases that build up in our body and are released for whatever reason.
Is it fluid? Or some type of electronic pulse?
I'M NOT ALONE ! Was always very curious about this, but like most of you don't won't to look like a looneybin ! Glad I googled this...

I started experiencing this sizzling noise at the back of my neck about two years ago, when I was 18. I don't have it everyday but it comes from time to time, sometimes a few times a day. Whether I'm lying down or standing doesn't matter.

After lunch today my stomach has been making stange sounds ( I sometimes suffer from indigestion, lightly or quite severely ), and straight after that sound my neck sizzled, as if it was responding to my stomach.

I can't contextualize when exactly I get this, but like many others I suffer from depression, anxiety, stress, stomach problems.
However to the contrary of what I have read above I have low blood pressure.

I'm not overweight but I have gained about 6 kilos in the past couple of years. I also suffered and still do sometimes of bulimia, which I initially imagined as the main cause of this.

I hate it when it happens it's so irritating ! It's really like as if a can feel the fluids of my spine passing through, I just don't get the noise they should flow...

Another thing, I also have a stiff neck, which often makes clicking sounds when I move it. My body does too randomly sometimes when I walk at my hip.

Anyways, whatever this random thing is, we are not alone and not crazy ( and thank f*ck for that haha ). Most of the symptoms are related, maybe one day we will really know what it is.

I am a male. I've had this symptom since I was about 5. 8 years from that (13) I was diagnosed with JIA or Juvenile Arthritis. I've had this sizzling/fax machine sound whenever I occassionally got bored in class or sometimes when i rest my head against something.  The sound seems to originate from the base of the neck/shoulder connecting point. Everyone who gets this seems to be female or just given birth. This is probably gonna get buried by other comments but just trying to get answers.
Lately i have also had "pop rocks" sounds in my neck. For a while, I've had migraines as a result of stiff neck promblems. I figured it was a pinched nerve or something. But reading through these comments, i saw something about a Chiari Malformation.  Looking at this through wikipedia, it mentioned that one type of this malformation can be caused by hypermobility (double jointedness). Thankfully nonlethal, just annoying. I have several parts of me that are double jointed (shoulders, hips, arms) and i am wondering if those who are asking about the "neck fizzles" may also be hypermobile. Just curious, it could be a similarity we all exibit.

Hi...do u have Chiari or did u find info related to the fizzy sound to be Chiari?

Being hypermobile could be related to ur issue as it can also be Ehlers-Danlos which is a related condition to Chiari....

Stop by the Chiari forum here on MedHelp and I am sure we can offer some insights.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/257?camp=msc
I don't have Chiari... Atleast not to my knowledge. I'm just wondering if "neck fizzles" could be a symptom of the hypermobile Chiari.

And thank you for directing me to that forum. I plan on looking through it thoroughly.
Hey, I have "pop rocks" too, and it's so funny you called them that, bc I call them that as well.  I have multiple back/neck issues including degenerative arthritis, adult onset scoliosis, and recently found out cervical stenosis.  There is a cartilage (or something) encroachment in my vertebrae pressing on the nerves coming thru the spinal column, in addition to the narrowing that's going on. I have absolutely no hyper-mobility, I barely have mobility, but I do have the "pop-rocks" especially when swimming, which i do often for the health of my spine.  It's pretty creepy, eh?  Have you noticed the fizzing when you weren't in the water?  It takes on a whole new level when submerged to the neck, but not in the tub for me, only the pool.  I keep forgetting to mention it to my Dr tho, gonna make a note right now. If u want I'll tell u what he says. He's not a specialist tho.  Does anyone know what kind of specialist someone with my issues would see? (for these back/neck probs anyway, lets see how many specialists I can amass by age 32)
Wow! Can I just say this is the exact issue I have been dealing with for months now. Although, I have chiari 1 malformation and have had a decompress ive surgery I still have not attributed it to that or my migraines. Have any of you considered acid reflux? I have acid reflux and I believe the sound is actually coming from the bottom of my throat? And happens most often in the morning, especially when I am hungry. I get up, take my acid medicine  and it isn't back for a few days!
I've had the fizzing in my neck for as long as I can remember and it's oddly refreshing. It literally feels like a drain opens and unclogs. It is probably fluid between joints like when you crack your knuckles and I have it almost everyday when I wake up from laying on my back. I am extremely flexible and can crack my back without assistance from the top of my neck to my tailbone, I also have a frequent physical need to crack my knuckles, toes, ankles, knees, shoulders and neck so I'm sure it's all related. I rarely if ever have joint pain and if I do it's directly related to injury.
Read.. Notice to all who do.

I've had this issue for years (going on 5-7 maybe), and the doctors have given me the what are you talking about look, or idk what the hell that is look.  Basically confused..  The sound came out of no where it started and I noticed it when it became frequent during periods at a time to even notice this feeling to be an occurring issue.  Why would it start if i wasn't born with it.  Like for some and myself spitting accumulated mucus which I am already addressing, ppl don't eat the garbage, any meat and starches and you are on your way back to homeostasis lol.  Anyway, some have stated they feel that bubbling sensation when their hungry.. maybe, I'll check my hunger pains the next time I feel it. However, like from past experience when I've heard that most signals or information that get sent up to your brain is usually a stomach issue.  There is something going on there that signals or warning shots is being sent up.  Don't let this become something big later.. like many other things before something is done about it.  At least if it is identified we can look for solutions other than throwing more chemicals into our body that is already bombarded with abnormal chemicals already.

Someone said it could be a blood pressure issue, IDK.. read below.
Below I read this comment from another site below if you wish to view it
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=428213

You are in luck
I know exactly what you are discribing
I and my roommate have it.
to me it the sound is like a leak in an inflatable boat.
happens when I am sitting or lying down for longer periods of time.
its a blood pressure related thing in my case and roomies.
I would go to a doctor to have your blood pressure and heart checked out, in roomies case it was indicative of insufficient oxygination and cardiac insufficiency,
in mine it a long term known blood pressure related issue.
so go to doctor now.
MAYBE...everyone has it BUT only a few are in tune with their bodies to be aware of this "fizzing/bubbling."
Could be... choroid plexus releasing cerebral spinal fluid that it is creating....
Hey folks. No worries about all you have mentioned. This is a symptom of an overabundance of parasites in the body. It's nothing to be too alarmed about, just correct the issue.

This is why most people have this symptom after a good night of drinking. Alcoholic drinks are very rich in sugar. What do parasites eat? Sugar!
Omg I have the exact same thing it's when I wake up in the morning and I am laying down and hungry I hear it in the back of my neck it's like high pitch fizz its starting to scare me
I have this fizzing "pop rock" problem too.  I had never experienced it in my life until about four years ago.  At the time I was drinking white wine every night.  Suddenly one night my whole head started sounding like crackling.  It was scary.  I also heard the bubble sounds.  I went to the doctors and they didn't know what I was talking about either, but the neurologist thought it was a type of migraine.  At the same time I had a dry cough and feeling like something was stuck in my throat and my doctor determined it was acid reflux.  She put me on medicine, but it made me feel like throwing up so I didn't take it.  I had an MRI and it didn't show anything abnormal.  I decided to go the healthy way.  I stopped drinking alcohol for a while and I lost twenty pounds.  That really helped a lot.  Three years have gone by and now I have gained the weight back.  I still get the grainy sand like sound or bubbles in the back of my neck.  For me it almost always happens when I am lying down and I am waking up, though I heard it at yoga recently when I was lying down.  Sometimes I also wake up feeling like my whole head was making crackling noises while I was asleep if that makes sense.  I think it could be linked to diet and artificial sweeteners like some have mentioned. I have noticed it's always worse when I drink alcohol.  I can't even drink wine anymore because one glass makes it really bad the next morning.  I don't drink soda, but that makes sense that it could trigger it.  I've noticed that I also sometimes feel a pressure or a tickling sensation in my head.  I have a little creaking in my neck now that I'm in my forties especially if I move my neck in circles so maybe it's all related.  I've had two kids, but I didn't have any shots during labor.  I don't take any medicines.  My blood pressure was normal last time I went in. It is possible that I could have some arthristis in my neck.  I do feel like I may be getting stress related headaches.  I was getting concerned because I have been hearing it a lot lately.  Maybe I'll try to avoid things that seem to trigger it.  I think alcohol and artificial sweeteners could be linked.  Try reading about what triggers migraines because it seems to also trigger these bubble sounds.  I agree that it also seems somehow linked to my stomach.  I sometimes feel bubbles rising in my throat after I eat.  I also think this could be like acid reflux of some sort.  Some people speculated that it could be the fluid in the spine which is interesting. My family members thought it was strange when I asked them about it so I try not to bring it up.  My husband knows about it, but he hasn't heard it.
This has happened to me as well like a little bit of alkaselzer starting at base of back neck and disapating upwards to somewhere at base of  skull. Would love to know what it is. No paint headaches associated with it. Really don't feel anything just kinda sensing or internally hearing this.
After reading up on many of those who posted the fizzing problem at the base of the cranium/top spine or so, I was just remembering how it all started with me. I had that accident (whiplash), oh that was 30 yrs ago. That kind of whipped the back of my neck. I went to get an xray just for the sake of the insurance co, who told me to get one.  The doctor there said I had bad posture, nothing more. Two and half years later, I get migraines, then that funny sensation came up and down my spine (the fizzing) while I lay in my bed, that it ran through the back of my head, like there was a problem with blood (like getting numb) and it vibrated. That was scary, then one time I had bad migraine, I didn't know how I got it, we were traveling to Norfolk, and we had to go under a tunnel, then after that I got the worse fizzing up my spine that I took Advil, whatever there was to help it, then I went to bed carefully putting my head down. Then next thing I know, after turning several minutes later, the refridgerator in the hotel room was spinning. I ran to the bathroom and said to my husband, something is wrong, I was throwing up and tore the toilet off the floor (oops, the hotel forgot to put in the bolts). That's when I had to go to the emergency room according to the hotel people. The ER then they figured out I was on drugs (nope, just advil), then they took my blood by permission to make sure I was not lying. The tests came back negative, so they determined it was vertigo. Ok, that's it. The migraines turned this into vertigo, and I had a silent sinus and ear infection. Bingo, so all that noise you hear, you don't even know you have an ear infection, nor a sinus issue. I don't usually feel pain because my pain threshold is so low in the nerves, but inside the head I seem to feel pain sometimes, particularly if the blood isn't flowing well if I have low blood pressure (thus the migraine). What brings on these symptoms, well this is the list:

Sinus/Ear Infections tend to be sensitive to:
Dairy Products
Sugars

Vertigo issues with the inner ear tend to be sensitive to:
Car accidents- some people have C4-6 dengenerative discs that attribute
   towards problems in neck that deals with muscles and nerves
   going up the spine. And the calcium crystals in the inner ear (semi
   circular canals get shook up and land on the 8th nerve, which causes the
   dizzyness. For some it's just the fizz.
Ear Infections- (see above Sinus/Ear Infections)
Anxiety- muscles changes the ear area and neck that pulles the inner ear
   changing the calcium crystal's position (magnesium deficiency)
Stress- muscle constrictor (Vit B/magnesium deficiency)
Parasites- some do enter into that region to bother the equilibrium
Caffiene - muscle constrictor (see anxiety), tmj in the jaw and neck,
    narrowing blood vessels and capilliaries (known to feed the equilibrium
    and other important areas of muscles)
Chemicals - some foods have additives and preservatives. In Wine
    (Barefoot brand, White Moscato) has a chemical in it that set off my
    equilibrium. It's sodium related. And Alcohol can do it, but I've not had
    any major problems with other brands, I drink only in moderation. I'm
    not a drinker. [more research should be done on this re: in our food/drink
    consumption]
Sodium- water retention, this bloats up middle ear and changes muscles
    too.
White Flour products- Bread especially (probably because of the yeast).
    Yeast creates more acid bubbly offspring called candida. This is mostly
     the problem in our health these days. If you cut back on this, you may
     feel the difference.
Aspartame- or any artificial sugars, this triggers twitching in the eyes and
     other parts of the body. This could intervere with inner ear capilliaries.
Refined Sugars - too much of this can exacurbate the dairy intake and
     create issues with middle ear fluids/mucas in nature to cause fullness.

To settle this down, cutting back on white flour products, sodium, caffiene, sugars, dairy products may help and add magnesium, oregano (for parasites), and take an advil and half a pill of benadryl in the day time. At night a full pill of benadryl or Nyquil.  This will bring down anxiety a notch and calm your senses plus remove inflamatory in the ears and sinuses.  Do this before you do yoga, as yoga will trigger different muscles to tighten in the neck area and cause more problems with degenerative discs if it exists.

By doing the above recommended suggestions; the noise, bone rubbing gasses, fluids, muscle tightening, fizzing and electric pulses will lessen and avoid vertigo.  One more thing, if the blood pressure is low, take naicin. As with accidents, PBPV excercises should be done on the side that the fullness drops in weight. My right side seemed to drop (right ear problems), so I would do it on that side in the case of vertigo issues to bring back the calcium crystals to it's orginal place. The calcium crystals bump out of place, if there's an accident or swelling due to inflammation re: colds, or other for example too much sodium or caffiene. But most people only get the fizz, so that's just in it's preliminary stages, if you've never experienced vertigo. Don't wait until it's too late for the vertigo to set in and creep you out.  Follow the dietary suggestions and you will be good to go and avoid the vertigo stage.

I have this also, to me it feels like the CBF is maybe thick and filled with corn? But I also get that people would call it like popping like fizzing soda. I think it is nothing serious, just kind of creepy. I just think that some people can hear this and others wont.  
Dagun
i am also feeling since last year before it seems to come from my head and neck area but now it looks like as if coming from my back ,i.e from my spine
Same bubbling in my neck. My wife can actually clearly hear mine when she is sitting next to me
I have had this as well of and on for many years and have wondered what it was.   Usually happens when I am dehydrated or hungry, but not consistently.   Just randomly every once in a while there is this rice krispies sound in my neck,  no pain whatsoever.  It comes and goes fairly quickly,  I know it's not a neck or spinr injury since I can be lying completely stilland it happens and it would occur much more often and consistently if it was something related to a physical injury.  Anyway, glad to see others with this as well,  would love to figure out what it is.
First of all, this is a normal phenomenon, so, all the hypochondriacs need to go find another topic.  I have experienced this all my life, especially as a teen ager and young adult, when I suffered from eating disorders.  The crystalline sound/sensation was something I tried to achieve.  It occurs when you are hungry, and while I am no scientist, I suspect it is related to the function of the Lateral Hypothalmus, which signals your brain that you are hungry by firing neuron pulses.  Neurologists will argue about whether or not you can actually hear neurons "firing", but it is my theory that is precisely what you are hearing.  I also think it is more a sensation than it is sound, but our brains interpret it as sound.  I do know that there have been studies conducted where the firing of neurons is amplified and can be heard in that state.  Given this information I believe it is entirely within the realm of possibility that we not only feel those tiny electrical impulses, but given the proximity to the origin, hear them as well.
Yay I'm not as odd as I thought. I'm 35 and slightly over weight. Blood pressure is good though.  I've been getting the fizzing sound/sensation in the back of my head/neck for a few years now and have just had it again which is what made me Google it. Anyone I have tried to explain it to also looks at me like I'm crazy lol. Mine is quite random and can happen at anytime, standing, sitting or lying down, but I can't connect it with hunger like many others on here do as I'm still full up from the spag bol I had for dinner. I am however very tired and rather stressed which seems to be a common factor. Like many others I'm not particularly worried, more intrigued as to what it is and what causes it. I have recently started getting migraines and have suffered with headaches for a while now and on a daily basis but I put that down to my job being predominantly computer based. I did have a neck injury when I was about 9 years old but like I said the fizzing has only been happening for a few years now. Very strange, I'd love to know what it is.
Forgot to say, I also occasionally get the tightening of the head like its being squashed just like someone else on here described, not sure if its related to the fizzing or not though.
I always wondered if it was seizure-related, as I had rolandic epilepsy into my teens, and then started noticing this 3 or 4 years later. I'm 34 now. Nothing has ever come of it. It's mostly when I'm laying down, and I've learned that when I notice it, I can then say, "yep, my stomach's growling and I'm hungry".... but it doesn't happen every time my stomach growls or I'm hungry, and it seems to happen a few weeks on end, and then not at all for awhile. I always forget about it until it happens. Today's the first time I've woken up, been laying here, and suddenly thought, "Hey! My head's not buzzing!" I went to my neurologist a few years ago. They did a CT scan and came up inconclusive. I asked what it might be if it's not a seizure, and she said it could be a chemical imbalance. To me, that meant "crazy," so I turned down further testing because I was afraid they'd continue to find nothing and assume the default- that it was me being nuts, when I know I'm not. I really feel and hear it. I used to say it was LIKE a fly in my head. That concerned my mom and my doctor; I think they thought I was saying that I thought it WAS a fly in my head.... then I said it was kinda like paper being ripped- but not exactly.... but I like the poprocks analogy; that fits perfectly. I get stressed, yes, but I don't see a pattern of it happening more when I'm stressed, so I don't think it's that.....
This gases passing through the meninges passageway from the cranial and spinal cord fluid of the meninges. Ever hear of meningitis?, these are areas that becomes infected.
I'm sorry, that can't be right. Because another person said his girlfriend could hear it, and my husband has also heard it. It's not just a problem with our ears... or maybe it is just a problem for some people's ears, but not all of us!
I've been getting this too for years.  I tend to think that it is sinus related.  I live in a town that is known for its blooming foliage and almost everyone in town has sinus issues at various times of the year.  When I get this it seems that I am also having some sinus drainage at the same time.  No need to worry.
The same exact thing happens to me... I have tried to understand what it is and have even done research it does sound like the candy pops and my right eye is like always twitching on and off it has stopped for some time but it can get quite annoying and quite embarrassing as well. this information is great to know its good to know i am not alone or going crazy.
25 Fm I just experienced this feeling for the first time. I was sitting down.

Commonalities
* Right Side Eye Twitch usually relative to high humidity

This actually accompanies a sharp ice pick pain that starts in my basal spine and extends 3" upwards that woke m up in my sleep approx 20 hours ago. I was not able to sleep the rest of the night and have been immobile today with severe lower spinal pain and also cramps in my legs that remind me of growing pains.

Not sure if this requires medical attention or if it will pass. The pain is paralyzing but I have a feeling a trip to the Doctor will end up with a prescription for pain meds I'm not interested in and no explanation for what is going on. No faith in MD's other that to mend broken bones or in life/death situations. (In other words I would rather wait until I'm dying to seek the "help" of a MD) Has anyone had any experience with an ND in this case?
As well... May be related or not. I get "hot" spots in my feet. At first I thought it was just the flooring in my home but then I would get them when I was out and about in the cold of -18C or colder and it would be like having a hot coal on the ball of my foot. This sensation only occurred in the balls of my feet.
Does anyone know if it is related to neck popping / cracking?  ...does those who get it do this ?
Actually yes; I used to get the fizzies a lot, not so much anymore but now I have the Hyoid bone in my neck that pops out on a regular basis and causes a lot of discomfort.  I hadn't even thought of the fizzies until I started looking up the popping and ran across this.  Made me wonder if they were related somehow.  Anyone else have both?
I get this too.
Normally just as I wake up in the morning. I hear/feel this fizzing in the back of my neck, right where my spine meets my skull. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this.
22 year old female. I suffer from anxiety/depression. I am slightly overweight.
The weirdest thing though. I spent 3 weeks in Sweden. Never once got the fizzles. As soon as I came home though, there they were.
I get this too, normally just as I wake up I hear/feel this fizzing noise in the back of my neck, right where the spine meets the skull.
I do suffer from anxiety and depression. I get migraines from the medication I'm on. I'm also slightly overweight.
Weirdest thing, though. I spent 3 weeks in Sweden. Never once had a case of the fizzles, but as soon as I got back to the UK, there they were.
"Lying" down, not laying.
Make SURE you avoid TOXIC TOBACCO SMOKE, which kills 180 INNOCENT Americans EVERY DAY!

MAKE EVERYTHING SMOKE-FREE, INDOORS AND OUT!
Viewing 201-348 comments: