Neurology Expert Forum
Flu Shot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Flu Shot

My then 5yr old son had the flu shot about 1 1/2 yrs ago.Shortly after administration of the flu shot, he develope severe headaches.He has since been complaining of headaches off and on.He also complain of leg pain from time to time.He states "it feel like something sticking him in the leg". He was diagnose with migraine.Could the flu shot trigger these problems?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history from your son, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Vaccinations can cause neurological illnessess such as a headache shortly after administration. If he continues to have headaches off and on, it may be possible that he does indeed have migraines or a migraine variant or another headache type. (More information would be needed, such as family history of headaches, location, duration, quality of headache, etc, to adequately diagnose). I would recommend that your son follow up with a pediatric neurologist who specializes in headaches.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Hi and sorry your son has migraines. I don't believe and haven't read any articles that say any association with migraine and flu shots. You can get migraines as a child or adult. The "sticking him the leg comment" sounds like a nerve issue. I would recommend a neurologist if you haven't been to one. They can do an EEG for the migrain and to rule out seizures and absense seizures. etc.  and check out the "sticking or poking" feeling he has. They can give him migraine meds maybe but he is so young I'm not sure which one. Does Tylenol work at all?  I get migraines and Tylenol doesn't touch them but my friends says it helps her migraines go away.
good luck.
mkh9
Oh my I am so sorry for ur son.
Take him to a neurologist. I had some symptoms before flu shot but after the shot my life changed. The sticki pain is nerve pain. And he needs an emg/ ncv test done. Google it.