Neurology Community
Head bobbing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head bobbing

What medical condition would cause a75 year old female's head to jerk up and down almost constantly.  She is otherwise well and active and seems to be unaware of the condition.  This has been getting progressively worse over the past year.
Hello.

The first possibility that needs to be considered is Parkinson's disease. She may also get hand tremors. Let me know if you observe any hand tremors.

Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the basal ganglia, situated deep in the brain. The basal ganglia are concerned with smooth movements of the body. A dysfunction in the basal ganglia, as seen in Parkinson's disease, leads to the tremors.

Does she have any other symptoms?

Regards
Avatar n tn
Re my inquiry March 19th regarding a75 year old female whose head bobbed almost constantly at times, you replied it might indicate Parkinson's Disease and asked if there were any other symtons such as trembling of the hands.  Trembling of the hands is not   really noticeable but I did observe when she was holding a sheet of paper a slight movement.  What I am observing now are muscle contractions between the mouth and the jaw in the area of the ear; right side, it's like the muscle contracts and relaxes quickly.  If this is Parkinson's Disease, is there medicine to slow the disease?  I know this diagnosis would be devastating to her so I'm uncertain if it's in her best interest to call her attention to the symtons.                                                                            Thank you very much for the information you are giving me.  It is very much appreciated. Lorrie50
i think the diagnosis of Parkinson disease is less possible. firstly condider idiopathic tremor
Hello.

Isolated masseter muscle tremors can be seen in Parkinson's disease, but are rare. In my view, she should be examined for Parkinson's disease and efforts should be made to investigate further.

Please do not get disturbed by the mention of Parkinson's disease. The symptoms are only remotely suggestive of PD. Get an MRI of the brain done. It may help us detect any changes, may be unrelated to PD.

All the possible causes should be ruled out before we call it idiopathic tremors. Idiopathic means "without a known cause".

Regards