If I have a syrinx from trauma do I have syringomyelia?
If I have a syrinx that was found by MRI following a trauma does that mean I have syringomyelia?  Does a syrinx ever just go away or get better on its own?  I was in an accident 4 weeks ago.  I was in a hammock that came apart and dropped me onto a hard plastic glass that was under the hammock on concrete.  My syrinx is at C6-C7 2.1 mm x 6.4 mm.  I have been experiencing moderate to severe burning and aching from the base of my neck to my mid thoracic area.  I feel like I have a "lump" in my throat.  
Hi, yes a syrinx is syringomyelia and it can be congenital or from a trauma.
I do not know if they can form that quickly, but...there r members here on MH's Chiari forum with syringomyelia...u may want to stop by and read some of the threads and talk with them.

We also have info in the Health Pages on syringomyelia from trauma.

U will want to look into a chiari/syringomyelia specialist to advise and treat u.
I hope we see u in the chiari forum.

"selma"
Chiari CL
I have been all over this website and others.  How long does it take to form one from trauma?  Does it ever just go away?  That is what I want to know.  Actually, that is what I want to hear!!!!!! I run(25-40 mi/week), lift weights and work out 5-7 days/ week.  It is a very important part of my life.  I was planning on running a half marathon this summer and a marathon next spring.  

Everything I can find on every website sounds potentially devastating.  I am 43 and a PT and even my PT friends and professors don't know anything  about this.  I live in Pittsburgh.  I am going to see a neurosurgeon Dr. Abla on Monday for a consult.  

Another wierd symptom I have is the feeling of having a lump in my throat, like when you cry very hard.  Ever hear of that?

Kristen
Hi Kristen,

I do not know how long it takes for them to form, but keep in mind, it is possible it is congenital and that the injury triggered it to grow a bit....I do not think a syrinx will go away on it's own.

Since u r in Pittsburg, u may want to see Dr Bejjani he is a chiari /syringomyelia specialist...and u do want a specialist. Please research the dr and get as much info as u can.

Yes...I too get the lump....I do not have the syrinx, but I have chiari and tethered cord and a thyroid issue.

There are certain activities u may not be able to do nemore....I was very upset...plus I am scheduled for surgery this month and I just want to be able to do my daughter's wedding flowers and dance at her wedding......the right drs can help, but there is no cure.

Please stop by our chiari forum.....since I do not have a syrinx u may like speaking with one that does...Shane99 has one and is very well informed on this topic.

"selma"
I have a 5.5 mm x 10 mm syrinx that starts at t3 and goes downward. The total diameter of my spinal cord is 9mm. I have severe back pain, shoulder, arm, hand, leg and foot pain. I also have problems going down stairs. My legs shake real bad. I am very hyperflexic as well. I also have numerous involuntary arm and leg contractions. Is this normal with this size syrinx?
You should really join the syringomyelia and Chiari malformation forum, I have learned a lot through their health pages and links.  Every Syrinx is different as is every person. Hope to see you in my Chiari forum!