Neurology Community
Indentation in top of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Indentation in top of head

I was really hoping for a suggestion as to why I may have developed an indentation in the top of my head. At first I thought I was crazy, and that it was impossible for that to happen, but over the last few months it seems to have grown and now anyone who feels the top of my head can easily feel it. It scares me, especially since my husband had brain surgery less than 2 years ago- (symptoms completely different of course) I am 35 years old, the only time I remember hitting my head really hard is when I was in elementary school and I fell and hit my head on a tile floor. I have had a history of passing out and having seizures but the doctors never figured out for sure what caused it and it hasn't happened for a few years. The best they came up with was blood sugar, and dehydration as a cause for those episodes, although I never had a MRI or anything of my head. I don't get pains from it, it may be a little tender if I press on the indent kind of hard. Is there any condition that would cause my skull to cave in? please help!
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hi there!

What you are going through is really unusual.  I suggest you consult with your doctor and have x-rays done to see if there are indeed some problems with the bones.  Some conditions that I can think of (though cannot fully explain what you are experiencing) are Vitamin D and Calcium deficiency that can weaken the bones, or it can be a normal anatomic variant.  In some persons, the fontanelles (the skull openings when we were babies), fail to calcify and close that can lead to this deformity (this is very rare).

So I suggest you consult your doctor and hope you get a good explanation.  Regards..
I have exactly the same thing! It's at the back of my skull, towards the top. It feels very tender, almost bruised. The indent itself doesn't really hurt when pressure is applied, but its border feels swollen.
I haven't hit my head recently, and can't even remember a time when I have before. I thought it might have been something to do with the sutures, but I'll be going to see my Doctor soon to get some scans done. He should be able to tell me what the problem is... I hope.
I sent you a message-= check your inbox with update about my indent.
I have this also,  any news on what it is?
Since my first post I have seen my doctor who said she had never seen anything like it before- It gets a little frustrating having everyone keep asking you "are you sure it hasn't always been there?"  Like I wouldn't know if I had a big dent in my head my whole life! anyway she sent me to take an MRI and CT scan to rule out any tumors and such- which it did, there weren't any. Then she sent me to a neurosurgeon at University of Washington- Harborview in Seattle. He also said that he had never seen anything like it. And since he is a world class surgeon who performs difficult and rare brain surgerys daily this must be pretty rare! He said that the scans don't show any cause for this to be happening and it looks like it is curving in rather than the bone thinning in that area. At this point it isn't affecting my brain, so he wants me to repeat the scans in October and come back so he can see if there are any changes. Keep in touch if you find anything out about yours. and feel free to send me a message in my inbox - I have a watch on this post and my inbox and I recieve an email whenever anyone posts to it. It would be nice  to compare notes to see if there are any symptoms in common or something in common that could be the cause.
I have an indentation on top of my head that I am getting checked out in a couple of weeks.It's been here for years but is getting sensitive and seems to be growing larger.Jen3000:So glad that tumors were ruled out for you.Bet you are relieved.I am also wondering if the indentation could have anything to do with why my heart goes dangerously out of rythym everytime I take practicly all meds.This has been a mystery to doctors.I am 34 years old but this has been happening for ten years and is just getting worse.I am a strong person but ofcourse this scares me.
I believe PaulMD may be on to something.  I have been looking for an explanation to whey a tender soft spot has appeared on my head suddently, and I've been freaking out a little, especially because I had yet to find anything that made any sense on the computer.  BUT, I believe I've finally found it.  The whole VIT D/Calcium deficieny makes a bunch of sense.  I just saw another post that mentioned proper diet, and I suppose not coincidentally, a month and a half ago I started the Atkins Diet, and it has been in that time frame that this dent has appeared.  I bet I'm not getting in enough nourishment.  Does anyone else know if this is a side effect of high protien, exremely low carb diets?
Hello- I discovered an indention on the top of my head over the summer. I blew it off for awhile and then thought maybe I should go to the doctor. I was really upset when I left his office. He made it sound like I too have had it forever, I find it hard to believe that for 31 years I have never noticed it before now. One thing I have noticed is that when I put my sunglasses up on my head when I don't want to wear them, the indention gets deeper??? I think I will try to get more Vit D/Calcium, see if that works. Something TY70 said hit home. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I started weight watchers about a year ago??? I have lost 20 pounds- but now I have an indention :)  My biggest question is should I spend a ton of money on hundreds of test or let it go??
I just went to the doc last week.He said that my indent is NOT normal.He smiled and said,"Let's just say it's interesting".I'm going for a cat scan next week on Fri.He suggested that I may have had a cuncussion that I did not get tended to.Anyways,they are going to get a good pic of my brain and skull on Fri.I will also be going to see a neurologist once my doctor get's a look at the results from the cat scan.I hope it's just not waisting away....my skull you know??That is a scary thought but I will let everyone know what the docs say.
Greetings,

I was doing some on line research when I cam across your forum. I am glad that there are others in the same boat with me! A few days ago my boyfriend was being romantic and was stroking my hair when all of a sudden the top of my head felt like he took a bat to me. I let out a scream and grabbed my head and that is when I noticed an indentation on my head. The whole area was so sensitive that just moving the hair was painful. At first I thought it was because I was wearing a hair band, but it is now 4 days later and the indentation is still there and it is still sensitive, especially in the center. Starting today it has also started to feel like it is on fire at times and then goes to a dull ache.  Just like a few of you, I had a head injury when I was younger that required a trip to the hospital complete with x-rays. I did have a concussion, but can not recall exactly where. About three years ago I also started to get menstrual headaches and just recently started to use Treximet to control the headaches. I am now wondering if the menstrual headaches are connected. I am also having problems with numbers the past year. They are no longer my friend! I will want to write one number, but will write some other number instead. Just today I was writing down a date and I keep writing the wrong numbers, even when I tried to concentrate on the number I wanted to write, I still wrote numbers that were not even close.  This has had me very frustrated as well. Has any one else had problems like these as well? I do have a doctors appointment, but not until December 29th.  If I am still symptomatic at that time I would love to see some suggestions on tests that I can ask to be run. Sorry this is long winded, just nice to know that I am not alone…or crazy!
Hello...I too have an indention in the back of my head, it is at the top and a little to the left.  I started having headaches in October everyday.  This is right about the time that I was laid off from my job.  I noticed the indent probably about a year ago but it had never hurt and wasnt sensitive.  Since October i have had the headaches and my head is very sensitive to the touch.  One touch and the headaches start...I was finally able to get in to my doctor who told me that "lumpy skulls" are not uncommon and there are lots of people with indents and soft spots.  He sent me for a CT and it all came back normal.  What we have figured out is that my neck has a pinched nerve that is making my neck/shoulder muscles tense and very tight.  These muscles run from my neck up to the top/back of my head.  This is why everything is so sensitive to the touch.  I have noticed that when i stretch out my neck and/or rub it, it makes the headache disappear. Since I had been laid off, I was spending hours at the computer searching online for jobs...of course my posture while sitting at the computer for hours on end is what has started all of this.  Hopefully with some PT on my neck and lots of massages, it will all resolve itself.  It is just nice knowing that my CT was normal.  I am still going to start taking more Vit D/Calcium...cant hurt any.  
this is hapening to me and my family it is some type of parasite i think for us at least. it is like a large worm i can feel move on my scalp and after i feel it move there is a big indent where it was. if anyone can help that would be great my e-mail is ***@****

And now enters the metaphysical aspect to all of this.  I also have formed an indention at the top back part of my head.  I am very much into looking at things metaphysically and my indention formed last year during a period of time I spent with a Medicine Man that I was shooting a documentary about.  I am a very stable person and people tend to come to me with questions but I understand that some of the things I say can seem far out there.  I am also very spiritual and see all life as being connected.  This being said I will briefly explain my experience.

I am 31 years old now but was 30 when it appeared which I have noticed is about the same age as everyone else in this forum.  I am a vegetarian who is very aware of what minerals and vitamins my body needs and though I may be lacking in some I do my best by taking special formulas for this.  The vitamin D/Calcium thing is interesting but I believe there is more to it than that.  I could be wrong.  Mine began with a weird sensation in the side of my head where I could feel my cranial fluids moving.  My massage therapist and medical student friends have confirmed that this is an accurate assertion.  There were some small head aches for about a week in these areas as well.  After about two weeks all of this stopped and I suddenly got the impulse to feel the top of my head.  That is when I noticed the indention.

I have also been doing yoga, meditation and taking something called monatomic gold and ORME's formulas to help raise my frequencies and reach higher states of health and consciousness.  My gut feeling is that my indention is part of this path of higher consciousness.  I've heard that the either the Atlanteans or possibly the Lemurians had holes on the top of their heads to allow their Pineal and Pituitary glands to receive more cosmic energy or prana.  I have noticed an increase in my awareness and abilities to astral travel.  

I live a very healthy life.  I write and make movies and I feel that my mental clarity and memory is still very good in my life if not better than it's ever been before.  So I feel this could all be a part of our spiritual evolutions as humans but it is still nice to here that those brain scans came back good, lol.  Please feel free to laugh at my way of looking at it and it could be way off.  But it's what I feel.  Thanks for sharing and letting me share as well.  
Wow, Include me in too. I am here for vibrating in my stomach and somehow came across this.Yep I got an indent in top front of my head. I noticed about 2 months ago and I thought about having it checked out but didnt. I have noticed mine has filled in for now. I dont know why or how it happened but its not as deep as it was. Unless it starts getting deeper I will probably not worry so much about it. I am curious, with all of us having these dents in are heads why do the doctors all say its abnormal?
If you type in adult soft spot on google you will get a different Med Help Group over the same thing, I'm 17, and i'm a worry person and i have 1 on the top back part of my head, I worry cause it is really noticeable and i don't think that it is normal, sometimes it feels strong and sometimes it doesn't i went and got a X-Ray at the hospital and they said everything was fine, it kinda relieved me, but i'm still worrying that maybe if i get in a fight and get hit directly in that spot that maybe it will kill me, and i worry about that alot. It like 3in long, 2.5in wide and 0.5 in deep it really scares me, so if anyone finds out anything else please let me know. THANK YOU

Google Search- Adult Soft Spot
I was also wondering that if you push on your skull long enough in the same spot really hard, can it sink down and make a hole to ur brain, or can it start to sink down and become really weak. Everyday all day I push on my dent, hard and sometimes it feels strong and then sometimes it feels like the bone get weaker. I push on it once and it feels kinda strong and then if i push a few more times it starts feeling like there isn't anything there and that my finger just keeps sinking down. Then I will take my hand and rub all 4 fingers and push on the one side of my head really hard and then squeeze the meat together so it feels like it isn't there. I do it so much that it rubs the meat on my head raw. I push really hard and it is starting to feel like it is sinking down where i push my 4 fingers, but the scary part is, I got a X-Ray done and the doc said everything was good, but i can't stop and thats what scares me. The Doc Said that the skull can't sink or weaken from pushing on it, but hes not that good of a doctor. So if anyone knows if you push on your skull and if you could end up pushing a hole through it, or weaking it up and it sinking down. PLEASE Write Back. Thank You
I am 29 & noticed a bald spot on my head about 2 weeks ago. Along with the bald spot is an indentation. Did any of you have a bald spot? Well I went to my dermatologist & he took a piece of skin & has sent it off to find out what is going on. We'll find out next week what is going on.
I'm freaking out a little.  I've been getting sharp but short lasting headaches all on the back and side of my skull for about a month now.  Today I randomly decided to feel my head for bumps and found an indent on the top back of my head.  A few years back I remember banging that same part of my head on a tree and never saw a doctor for it. I'm 20 and the indent is not that large but I definatly did not always have this.  
Wow there have been a lot of people who have commented on this since my original question over a year ago! I still don't have an answer for mine, but I am really interested in what the outcome of the skin test for an29. That is one test they haven't done on me. I had my scans repeated in Oct. and the size of my indent had not changed since July. I basically have to watch to see if it changes. They still don't have any idea as to the cause. I do have a B12 def. but I have been giving myself monthly injections for that for over a year - so I think if it was that it would have filled in again by now. Assuming that if the problem is corrected that it will heal itself. A more recent discovery is that I am also Vit. D def. and took a prescription dose in Dec. and again in March. I don't notice a change yet- but maybe it will help. I don't know if there is any link to my injury as a child when I hit my head- I never went to a hospital back then. As to the guy who links this to enlightenment- I wish it was. I have always had feelings about things and people and I have never found them to be wrong- but I don't think they have been any stronger or more often now that I have the dent.
I wish everyone luck- and one thing I've noticed is that some people promise to update their results and don't- I know this is easy to do, It's taken me awhile to get back to it because life gets in the way- but if we try to remember maybe one of us will figure it out, or help another. Thanks!
I am also guilty of not reposting to tell  my results...I have a large indent on the top of my head towards the back.  I have had three doctors look at it and also a neurologist.  I have had a CT scan, all kinds of blood work done and everyone has the same thing to tell me...it is nothing and either something that I was born with but may not have noticed as it could have changed as I grew...meaning as a baby I probably had a normal skull...or had some kind of injury.  I dont remember an injury, but could have happened when I was smaller...my mother is not alive so I cannot ask her.  Back to the point...the last dr that I went to is a wonderful dr and truly did everything he could think of to try to find out what is causing it.  According to my CT scan...it is not that it is an indent, but only my skull is thicker in spots...the neurologist also said this as well.  I was always scared that if the indent got any worse, how far until it affected my brain??  But that is not the case as my skull is not sinking in, only thicker in spots that makes it look like an indent.  So to sum it all up...out of 4 different drs, I do feel better and not afraid that something is truly wrong...as they all did say the same thing.  Hope this helps!
I recently noticed the same thing for me.
I too can press on the top of my skull and note an indentation.
I wonder if this has anything to do with a bone infection.  I have had a problem with a tooth.  Of course the fundamental issue could be calcium absorption.  Have any of the other posters had on going tooth issues?

If this is related to bone infection then antibiotics may be a way to resolve the issue and start to strengthen the bone.

Sorry for the double post.
jde123 I also have the tenderness you described and suspected my neck as I have been working on the computer for extended houses recently. I noticed the discomfort when I am on the computer. (So I guess I should probably limit my time on the computer eh? hehe)

Do you still have the tenderness and if not what did you change additionally are you still taking the vitamin supplements?

I still notice the tenderness...but not as bad.  I have started doing pilates and yoga as told by my dr since it is relaxing and also helps in building your posture so you dont "slump" and therefore causing more neck strain.  Also, I have changed pillows...I get the extra firm pillows and sleep on my back so that my neck is "cradled" duing the night and supported...it takes the strain off tremendously.  Before I was sleeping on my side and my neck was not supported, therefore waking up with neck pain when it should have been rested overnight...anyway...all this together has really helped with my neck issues...I have also learned how to sit better at the computer so that I am not straining to see the screen.  I have not had any tooth problems...

Hope this helps!
I am a 38 year old who has been suffering with several symptoms!  Also, about a week ago I noticed I now have an indention that is sensitive to the touch.  I have actually had many things going on over the last 8 months.  I feel like a pin cushion!  I have been tested and retested.  The only thing they have come up with so far was my vitamin d was very low.  I am now going to the Mayo Clinc and I will update everyone on my results!
Hello all,
As i read each and every single post, i realized many of the symptoms compared to my skull indentation. Not only is there a big indentation on the center (towards the back) of my head, but when i touch my hair or skull, it actually hurts. I usually pull my hair in different directions as to relieve the pain. I used to think my head was too oily thus was hurting my skull but even though, after i washed my hair there was still pain (just a little less after the wash). I've had this for a while now and never seemed to take it serious enough to have it catscanned. Now im thinking maybe i should. It takes so long for doctors to respond and most likely i am going to receive the same "you're OK, your skull is fine, etc" answer....it makes me even less to wanna see doctors.
I know many of you mentioned there was a deficiency in vitamin D, well, yes i also have that but for some odd reason i dont think its got anything to do with the skull. I do hope im wrong otherwise it would be a very nice and easy fixup...just drink the vitamin d pills. I had my doctor prescribe me 4 vitamin D pills, i had to take one once a week for 4 weeks. I have yet to have my bloodwork done for results. The best way to get natural vitamin D is to be under the sun. I am allergic to sun thus cannot be under the sun for too long. Ever since my defficiency i have forced myself to sit under the sun for at least 5 minutes a day. BUT, i still have the pain on the back of my head. I have also noticed losing too much hair. Any time i touch my head i lose hair. Any time i brush my hair i lose even more. If this continues then my weird shape head, the indentation will be more visible. :-(
I dont get any headaches, but i do feel as if the indentation is still there and getting deeper. I feel as if im going to grow two horns from left and right side of my skull as the indentation gets deeper.

WOW! I am shocked but pleasantly surprised I am not alone in this! I just found my indentation on the top towards the front of my head! I am 32 years old and never remember having this before. It is sensitive to the touch, almost feels like a slight burning sensation under the skin, inside the indent. I just had a full bloodwork-up 2 months ago, all my levels were normal for everything.  I have had some unusual headaches over the last several months, but I figured it was from the tension in my neck and shoulders from my old car accident. I have had a few sharp pains in my head also. I also have just started a portion control diet, eating more fruit & veggies, less carbs, more fiber. If anyone gets more results back, please post them! This was very enlightening for me! Thank you all for sharing!
I am glad also to find this. I found my dents last evening at work. At the top front of my scalp (skull) dents on either side of the center very top
(from the mid to the front hairline) about 3 fingertips long and about 1/2 inch wide. About maybe 1/8th in deep. I am a cosmetologist, I do my hair everyday and I would have found these dents if they had existed before yesterday. I am very aware of my face and head, and I believe it happened overnight. After reading all of the posts I am thinking a vitimin deficiency may make sense. I am glad so many have had tests - this gives all of us reason to believe we won't be harmed by this. I too had a CT and MRI of my head, and nasal passages because I had an attack of Vertigo (dizziness) about 3 months ago. I hadn't ever had that before that time, and not since. I am a healthy 53 yr old woman. I feel good. My only clinical problem is elevated cholesterol. I take a statin intermittently, (I don't take it regularly). I have to get that level checked. I have recently been taking more vitimins, lysine I have been taking (which promotes enzyme production, and healing). Also a little niacin. But I have taken that before. I'll look forwrd to more news from you. And I'll post as I get any information. By the way, my ct scan and mri didn't show anything unusual. I have Kaiser Permanente in Cleveland OH.
Like skull9585595, I have more hair loss... really worries me. THe dent is in the front. I don't have much pain. But it was NOT there before a week ago and the hair coming out has been about a month- TONS of it. Have you seen the DR lately? I have an appt July 17 but I may try to get in faster.
Hello all,
  I just "Googled" "Indention on top of my head" and found this website with these posts.  I recently noticed an indention on the front, top part of my head.  It is about 2 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1/4 inch deep.  It is new.  I started a vegetarian diet about 2.5 months ago and am wondering if maybe I'm not getting proper nutrition.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
I am like you.  I am also 29 and I noticed a bald spot on my scalp in the front in February.  I went to a determologist and have been having injections in my scalp to help the hair grow back.  The hair has not grown back fully (but has grown some), and now when I run my finger over it, it feels indented in the exact spot the hair is gone.  I only have a indented line on my forehead going down to my eyebrows.  This has been getting bigger over the last week.  I have an appointment with my determologist again next week.
It took me awhile to find you all, but am glad I did!  My indentation at the top, right and front of my skull.  I was in car accident about 40 years ago and my head hit the windshield; I was 13 or 14.  I realized I had this "dent" about 20 years ago, when I was dating a Dr.,  When he stroked myhair, he hesitated a bit over the top of my skull and said "You were in a car accident and hit your head, huh?" [paraphrasing here]...and proceeded to talk about the indentation.  It never bothered me much until about 4 months ago.  Wow!  Tender and painful!  So much so that it hurts when water from the shower hits my head.  I am a female . Since this tenderness has increased, so has the size of the indentation and I noticed I am losing LOTS of hair ...but only on the right side, under the "dent"  Getting very dizzy and tired too.  Nice to know I am not alone, but disappointed to see that not may of you have had success with your Drs...Guess I should go see one anyway.
HI -
I am so glad you posted this I am 31yrs old female...and I have an indent on the top front right side of my head jast past my hair line...sometimes it hurts almost like an ache, not quite a headache....Im so relieved to know I am not crazy or alone in this....I cant remeber having it always but again I dont go around feeling my head all day!  I also am not sure if it aches on its own or from me having to compulsivly touch it now that I know it is there.  I recently have been laid off and can not affort to have CT scans and MRI's. THis had truly been VERY helpful to me I am going to the store today to get VIT. D and CALCIUM as suggested by numerous people earlier....I wanted to say thank you to Lynn for her original posting on this Sincerely
Hi Nikkigirl1995. I have the exact same thing as you. At first I thought it was from my sunglasses sitting on my head all day everyday. I'm a little OCD about it. My head started hurting really bad yesterday and I noticed the exact thing you described in the same location. I took my sunglasses off and did not wear them on my head at all today.....so 24 hours have gone by and it is still there. I've been having really bad headaches. Any news on yours?
I have noticed the same thing on my head.  I have an indention on my head and had not noticed it before.  I am also having headaches when I touch the spot but also just because.  I have been to the doctor and he has ordered a CT scan.  However, it sounds like that might not show up with anything!  Please let me know if there is anything that any of you have found to work!  Desperate for help!

kansasgirl
I am in shock! I am 39 and at the age of 30 I moved from alabama to louisiana. 6 months after living here I noticed a dent in the top of my head on the right side. I have always wore my hair in a pony tail and would have noticed before. I started having headaches about 3 months before this showed up. I went to the dr scared like all of you. The 1st neuro asked if I was from Third Rock from the Sun, great joke but made me a little upset. I eventually saw another and they took 2 years to get my headaches under control. I have since noticed my head sinking continuously. It has now moved to the center. If I wear my hair in a pony now I and everyone else and visably see it. My hair dresser is amazed. She has never seen this before. My dad died from multiple myeloma and this was the 1st thing I was tested for. I was given an MRI and CAT scan all with a positive result. All these tests were done when I was 32. At 39 I am having multiple symptoms. Fatigue, my legs have knots, I have headaches days on end. If you touch my hair it hurts. These symptoms can not all be in my head(so to speak). I have joint and body pain all the time. I work on a computer all day 8 hrs or more, I think my headaches and fatigue may be related to my work. I take additional supplements daily and have for about 1 year. Has anyone else had the same symptoms along with the indentions and have they increased in size?
I am a 44 year old female who too found an indentation on the top "Right Side" of my skull about 8 months ago. I went to the Dr. for a physical and brought the indent to his attention. He looked at me like I was making stuff up and told me that it is impossible for a skull to have an indentation because it is too hard. He laughed and told me to take pictures of it or immediately come in when it appears again.  I know that I never had it before. I did get thrown off my horse when I was 18 and landed on the back of my head on asphault but really do not think his has any thing to do with the accident. I did notice that when I am busy and not drinking enough water that I get these indents (now on both sides of my skull) and sometimes they are really deep. They "fill up" or go back to normal when I drink plenty of water. Soooo....maybe its a dehydration issue. I'm worried about it, but do not have the sensitivity, hair loss, or headaches that others are speaking of. I am shocked that all the Dr's really don't have an answer. I am glad I found this site and know that I am not the only one with skull indents.  
i am having the same issues.  about a year ago  i noticed a dent on the right side of my skull.  I noticed it when i stopped nursing my baby.  i went to the doctor and had xrays, scans and blood work.  all came back fine.  they said it was always there and the nutrients that once were in body all went to the baby.  I haven't had any headaches or anything and didn't think anymore of it.  Until....about a month ago i noticed it was larger.  i asked my daughters pediatrician if she had ever heard of this.  i went back to my doctor.  she ordered more testing.  so far my blood work came back fine.  i am deficient in vit d or calcium.  i had a xray and scan done on my other bones to see if they were indented...so far nothing.  the next step is to go see a specialist and maybe have a biopsy done.  i am worried that the indent will eventually touch my brain and cause more problems.  it seems as though i am a medical mystery.  i hope someone figures it out.
I notice a dent on top of my head to and theres no hair in that dent i notice it on sep.14 .three weeks after i had my baby. i know i didnt have it before because when they gave me an epidural the side affects are that it gives u a headache when its wearing off for 2 weeks i would message my head alot. and it wasnt there till the next week. I told the doctor n she said i must of have it when i was i a kid an bearly notice it . so she order an mri and everything came back normal but i could see the dent in the mri . so i think is time for a second opinion. i know how u guys feel so i think im going to print all of your guys problem and tell the doctor that im not the only one .
With as many comments as I've read, I've come to the conclusion that though an indent in your skull doesn't seem normal, its common.

My brother has an extremely noticeable indentation on the top of the crown of his head if you run your fingers across it. Our reasoning is that when he was younger (age 4 or 5) he slept on the floor between my sister's & my twin beds and in the middle of the night his head got wedged under a bed frame and the floor. He was stuck & crying for who knows how long because we were all fast asleep, but when my parents burst through the door we were all shocked and scared & felt very bad because that was very preventable. He has slept there numerous times before but after that incident we would place a barrier between him and the bed frames should he be too scared to sleep alone. He has actually never noticed the indentation until 8 or 9 years later. It doesn't cause him ny apparent pain. He gets headaches like any normal teenager, no more than myself or my sister. As a protective sister, these are the thoughts that keep me awake. The what ifs, and the shoulda-couldas in terms of my little brother's safety.

I admit, I'm guilty of it myself from time to time, but the instant gratification of confirming our worries has gotten out of hand with free medical consultation sites. If you would care to know my opinion, I believe that if your sufferring is significantly greater than before you discovered this depression in your skull (and granted your symptoms aren't a suggestive effect of what you have read online) then of course consult a true physician who can feel the severity of the indent and add up the symptoms to make a correct diagnosis. If you aren't experiencing discomfort that seems out of your norm, then you are wasting money getting referred to multiple doctors. I think the hysteria of instant knowledge has subconsciously led all of us to find an ailment to all of these answers we come across. Its almost a reverse placebo effect.
Oh my! I have the same thing... Mine seemed to happen almost overnight (I have a habit of touching my scalp when I read for school). I will be going to my doctor in December so well see.
I have a small indentention at the top crown of my head too...it's about the size of the top of my index finger.....I noticed it one morning while doing my hair and by the following night I had a bald spot the was the same exact size of the indentetion!  It really scares me...it doesn't hurt but it does burn a little and it's sometimes really red.  I'll have to schedule a dr's appt......but just curious if anyone who is missing hair from that area gotten back any dr's results??  
I had noticed on indentation my scalp and though maybe I had over looked it. Within the last two days I have noticed a second. I am not crazy, I have shampooed my scalp for my whole life, they were not there before.  Someone please tell me what is going on.
I was looking for advice on same problem. I have always had a rather large indention at the crown of my head, but now have one on the top an one starting at the side. I am getting rather bothered about this. Mine also are very tender an been to the doctor once an he put me on a med in hope to reduce pain but going to see him again tomorrow. I am now having problems remembering things that happen during the day. For example I can do something that morning an later cant remember if I did or did not do it. Im very worried. I want to know if the places on my skull can be related to this. My friends have noticed the problem with me remembering an the occasional stutter. I really need to find out whats wrong.
hi
found an indentation on my forehead a few years ago but appears 2 have got longer since i last checked. i get daily excrutiating headaches n blurred vision but i have been diagnosed with intracranial hypertension. not sure if its related getting worried as thought everyone had a "crack" so to speak on there head.
Hi, I am going to join this discussion as well. I have had the indent for as long as I can remember. However, I do feel like its worsen over the years. I am 35 years of age. I must add that the indention it's on the crown of  my head. The best way I can describe  it is that it feels like the  indent is my chest and the two sides of my skull are my breasts. Also, there are days that the indent is not too profound...like it switched.....I find this very weird?? the spot also tends to tender up when it wants to...for example" last night it was very tender if I pressed hard enough it hurt a bit. Right now it's the indent its not as wide and when pressed nothing!!! on my next visit I will bring this up to my Doctor. I have never suffered of any migrains, falls, headaches etc anything that I can say maybe it happened because....? I do take daily vitamins. I do stutter from time to time. Well, I am glad to say, that am not the only one experiencing this. Please post as much information as possible. I am also a native of Ecuador if that helps.
28 year old, black female here.  I've watched my indentions grow for about 3 years now.  mine is just under my crown.  actually for a visual, think of an "alien" head.  the area that is sunken in is approximately 1inch deep.  I've lost pretty much all of my hair in the "hole" and am starting to lose hair above my crown where my head is flat.  there's no pain in this area at all that I know of at least.  im really concerned and frankly afraid to go to the dr.
i cant believe that we all have the same thing. i have three. im 44 years old and 4 boys. im very healthy. i have noticed that my close up vision is rapidly failing me though it could be just because im getting older. i would really like to know what is going on here. sometimes the indentations are tender and sometimes they are not. they itch as well sometimes right in the indentation. do any of you take anykind of medication or get your hair dyed? maybe we could be onto something here about hair dyes. i. d. k.
So glad to know I'm not alone in this.  I noticed my indentations about half a year ago and so many doctors think it is nonsense, but I knew the indentations were not there before.  It scared me as well.  I have learned a great deal since then.  All my standard blood tests from about 5 years back to the present showed a slightly high calcium level in my blood - 10.5 and 10.7, etc.  Finally, I had a doctor that recommended I get my parathyroid hormone tested.  Turns out that it was about double what it should be.  I was sent to an endocrinologist who knew more about it, but wanted me to take more and more Vitamin D, since that was low, to see if this would correct the calcium level in my blood.  When it didn't I went online and read about hyperparathyroid condition.  In a nutshell, we all have 4 parathyroid glands that have nothing to do with thyroid - they just are located near it.  Their only function is to regulate the calcium in our bodies for our nerve conduction, muscles and of course bones.  When one of the glands goes haywire and grows into a tumor (almost always benign) it starts pulling calcium from the bones and puts too much into the blood causing fatigue, insomnia, irritability, etc.  The longer you go with this condition, the more osteoporosis you develop since it is pulling calcium from your bones, and taking more calcium and vitamin d does not correct it, because that just puts more into the blood, but not into the bones.  When I finally realized I had this condition, I got the surgery I needed and now can take calcium to help build my bones back up, because I did have significant osteoporosis from this.  I think the indentations in my case had something to do with this condition and the loss of calcium in my bones that occurred for many years.  I am eager to see if the indentations improve after several months of calcium, since I can now safely take calcium and Vitamin D.  The important point about this is that if you have indentations in your head,  taking more Vitamin D and calcium may not help if some of you that have these indentations have a hyperparathyroid.  If you just have some other form of bone loss, it might help - I don't know since I am a layperson.  But please, get a blood test and if your calcium levels are into the 10s consistently, get your parathyroid checked.  It might spare you several years of feeling rotten and having substantial bone loss.  Go online and check out different parathyroid sites.  It is very informative.  Good luck.  
Wuu108 mentioned also being able to feel cranial fluids "moving" which is exactly what I experienced along with the indentaion at the top back of my head , except with me it would be followed witha kind of strange cold sensation.  The fluids sensation doesnt happen anymore but the dent has gotten worse, larger and deeper

Before it was just at the top back, now years later, it has also begubn to folow up almost like a trail on the top were the middle hair line is.

I'm 32 and noticed the dent in the top back of my head several yearsa go.  I would ask people to feel it and just about everyone would either jump or look at me kind of strangely because at first they wouldnt belive me when I'd tell them to feel it, they thought it awas very strange.  I've never met aynole else with this.  Im going to ask my doctor about it especially after reading juliee26 response.
I am 50 years old and have had an indentation on the top rear part of my head for 20 years now. It only grew for a few years and then stopped and hasnt increased in size. I have had an MRI which was normal.

I guess some of us are a little more dedented than others : )
I have an indent on the back of my head. where i would pull my hair back in pony. i wore my hair like this for about 10 years but never noticed the indent untill about 4 to 5 months ago. I have been getting bad headaches and when i move my head it (standing up or getting up from laying down) feels like fluid is rushing through my head. I have had a ct done for other reasons i am having problems. low iron. ibs and ic of the bladder. i am having trouble finding the right words to say this is def. getting worse. like calling my daughter my son. or not being able to say a word that i have always known or remembering it. i just go black. the ct came back fine. I am having my wisdom teeth pulled next week and also just got over a sinus infection. which the fluid in the head stopped for a few weeks. so i came to think that my teeth and sinus has to do with the feeling of fluid in my head as well as the headaches, but we will see when i get the teeth pulled. I am alsos going for a colonospy on friday. having a hystorechomy in a few months. I just recently stopped taking my iron pills. because of bowel prob. but i am also taking a med for IBS right now. which could give me a headache. well see.  I will talk to my family doc. about this.. thanks everyone, goodluck. i am always searching for whats wrong with me since i have been really ill since jan 29 2010 and the doctors don't know but are narrowing it down, kinda ***** when you been sick for so long. but at least everyday i seem to get better. with occasional relaps here and there. wouldn't be so bad if my daughter wasn't exbitting the same symptoms as me. just not as bad THANK GOD   k thanks  ***@****
I am seeing a very similar pattern with those that have posted here. It seems like almost all that have indicated this similarity are in their 30's? I find this too coincidential to overlook. I think the idea of a bad diet or a lack of certain vitamins/nutrients may have a very viable reason but my concern is why would the skull actually recess? And only in ONE spot. Even the location of everyones head is not similar in nature. I wonder if accupressure could assist in a situation like this-to offer an aid to an unbalanced system. Any thoughts. Has anyone else noticed these similarities? I know at this age there is alot that is going on in our lives. Kids, careers etc and we tend to not focus on ourselves but on everyone else. Scary thought to think I might not be around for my kids and that I actually am doing this to myself. I just wish I could pinpoint the "IT" factor. Thanks to everyone for their posts-least I am not going lala.
I, too, have a dent in the top front part of my head that I first noticed a few months ago.  I am a 44-year-old female.  I have not had headaches, hair loss or any sensitivity.  It is just noticeable when I comb my hair.  I do wear my sunglasses on my head often - way too often!  I have always had issues related to calcium in my body (kidney stones & bad teeth that break easily).  I've never really been tested - something that I should do now that I know. Thanks for all the posts.  I thought that maybe I was crazy or weird, but it is good to know that there are others of you out there.  I hope that we all can find a cause/solution.

For Patty044, yes, I have been coloring my hair for about 10 years now.  Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

For some of the others, I have never had a serious head injury (that I can remember - ha ha).  As far as the memory issues, well. . .I am a mother of 6 and grandmother of 5 so far, and I AM in my mid-40's.  I believe that children steal brain cells anyway!

For Wuu108, I am all for any further enlightenment or spiritual awareness or whatever you want to call it.  Over that past 2 years, I would say that I have much more heightened spiritual awareness, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with the dent in my skull.  But I think I will contemplate what you posted.

Good luck to all of us!  Keep posting!  I'll be watching this forum.  Thanks!
I'm not glad we all have dents, but I am so glad to know I'm not alone! It takes away a lot of my fear.  I have been taking notes on things many of us have in common.  If these match your case, please share it--especially if you've been to a dr. (which I haven't!)

Two yrs. ago (like someone else) at age 52 I was shampooing when I discovered that touching the crown area even lightly with my fingers hurt.  It was very sore and tender.  WIthin a matter of weeks there was a dent there.  As it grew, a second appeared just forward of it and in the past two years they have depressed together into one much larger dent.  It is like a long, narrow valley running forward across the top of my head.

Around this same time my hair began to fall out fairly evenly across my scalp and has continued to do so until my hair is only about 1/2 to 1/3 as thick as it was before. (I am a woman, so it isn't male baldness!)  I was under severe stress at work that first year (which I hear can cause hairloss, but I am not now, yet the hairloss and dent growth continue.)Yes, to answer someone's comment, I do dye my hair--but I've been doing that for 20 years, so I don't know that it is related.

I've also had psoriasis for many years and do have a prescription liquid steroid my dr. has me apply to my scalp.  Could it be causing the dent?  I'll ask next time I see her.

I have osteoporosis and have been on Actenol for 3 years to rebuild bone so I think we can rule out that medicine for that will "cure" the dents.

By coincidence (or perhaps not!), I fell while jogging only a few weeks before this all began and hit the front of my face on the ground.  They did a CAT scan which showed no concussion or skull injury.  Could CAT scan radiation actually contribute to causing skull bone problems like dents?

There are no headaches although recently for 4 days my scalp would fall asleep and get that pins and needles sensation you do when your foot falls asleep.  Very eery feeling!

Do any of these match anyone else's observations?
Hi All -  thank you SO much for all your posts. I'm a 63 yr old woman, have had the indents (2, one on either side of top of head) for about a year now. The Left side indent has gotten much longer and deeper recently. It is occasionally painful when touched, though not always. I've had chronic migraine every day for most of my life, fell on my head at 2 yrs old, also have had trigeminal neuralgia (extreme facial pain) for past 20 years. So I naturally thought it might have something to do with the headaches.

But after reading all the posts, I'm fairly relieved to see I'm not alone (doc thought I was weird, but gave me a skull x-ray - came back normal but not sure what that means). Post from Juilie26 makes a lot of sense and I'll ask my doctor to look into that with blood work.

Has anyone else noticed a strange vibrating of the head sometimes? Happens when I'm lying down on bed, watching tv, and feels sort of like the vibration from a clothes dryer or subway/train...? Don't know if this is connected to head indentation.

Thanks to all of you,
w
Re: vibrating - Yes, all the time.  It's almost like a subtle brain freeze or a start/stop.
i don't know if this will help, but our indents sound a little bit like a condition called "coupe de sabre". it's probably not what we have, but google it just to be sure.
I have the same thing. But the indention is on the crown of my head. And all around it my skin is ver squishy. Almost like a babies soft spot. And it is really tender to touch.
I am grateful to have found this website because as others have said make me feel that I am not crazy and that there are other people like me.
I have a 32 years old and about 1 month ago my husband to touch the head felt a big hole in the center, I think I had felt before but was now bigger. My worry is that now I have 12 weeks of pregnancy and thought the worst, today I went to my OB and I see this abnormality him it seemed strange and referred me to a neurologist which I will attend the next 07/08.
Now I read your comments I feel a little more relaxed to see that none of his cases resulted in nothing tragic. I hope to get some response and surely I will post it here to share it with you.
Thank
I just googled to see if I could find any information about indentations in the skull.  I noticed that I had an indentation in the top of my head slightly to the right a few months ago.  It is tender to touch at times and when pressed it effects the nerves from the neck over the head which then become overactive.  I mentioned it to my daughter (37) last night who said she had the same thing and her daughter (14) also has a slight indentation.  I am 57 and for the past 2 or 3 years following learning a meditation technique I have experienced very strange symptoms of energy moving around my body, vibrations, spinning sensations in my head, heat, muscles twitching or sensations like "bubbling".  Also, feeling of energy being pulled up through the feet and in my spinal column.  All very strange.  I also feel 'wired' with energy at times and feel as though energy is pouring into my head, worse on lying down at night so sometimes sleep is impossible.  I visited my GP this week and he said that is is probably coming from the neck which due to wear and tear is pinching the nerves that run up the back of the head and over the top.  I also have sensations in the front of my head as though energy is running down a thin line in front of my face, sometimes even to my lips, teeth and chin.

This all sounds very self obsessive but nevertheless it continues without me doing anything at all about it.  I have mostly tried to just ignore it in the hopes that it will go away.  I have sought the help of various therapists: accupunture, homeopathy, Spiritual Guru, bio resonance.  The energy seems to have made larger "channels" to work its way through.

The GP gave me some medication Imipramine 20 mg  a low dose used to treat nerve problems.  It seems to have calmed things down a bit but have only taken 2 doses so far.

I sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day with my job and know that this aggravates the nerves, as does TV, cinema, lights and noise.  I think I will have to go and live in a black box away from all stimuli, perhaps you fellow holy head people would like to join me so that I won't be on my own (as long as you don't make too much noise as I really couldn't stand that).

Comforting to know I am not alone.

Glynis
I am not alone ! ... I can't believe there's so many of us with this symptom (I just discovered it last night (Friday) and I can't contact my doctor until Monday to make appointment) ... This is the second forum I've found on this topic and yet some folks are being told it's rare ! ... I haven't read all the posts here yet... I was so relieved to see I'm not alone ... Thanks ...
I have to say, these posts have saved my sense of sanity.  I've been trying to explain what's happening to my head to everyone - husband, coworkers, doctor - and no one seems to get it.  3 weeks ago I started having... a sort of pain... at the top/back/middle portion of my head (where your hair starts swirling).  I actually wouldn't really describe it as pain though... more like I've had a ponytail in my hair way too long & just took it down.  Anyway, I've been rubbing & feeling it alot because of the strange sensation, and 2 days ago on Sunday morning there was no dent - Sunday evening there was a huge dent.  About the size of 4 finger tips.  I've also experienced some strange headaches that are more like groggy, tired feelings rather than actual pain for the last week or two.  I went to the doctor today who suggested it may be occipital neuralgia, even though it's not a perfect fit for the sympoms.  She wanted to prescribe an anti-anxiety drug that's supposed to alleviate those nerves when taken in small doses.  Occipital Neuralgia is located at the base of your skull, but the nerves & muscles do run up the back of your head & down your neck.  It could be a possibility, but I'm going to try going to the chiropractor & massage therapist to see if working on the bones & muscles in my head & neck might alleviate it.  I'd rather not do the whole medication thing if it's not absolutely necessary.  I hope this helps some of you.  Google Occipital Neuralgia to see more about the symptoms & treatments.  I look forward to hearing more updates.  This is the only place I've seen where other people seem to have exactly the same symptoms as me.  I'll try to remember to update as things progress.
My 15 yr old daughter has noticed a dent in her forehead by hairline, no hair loss but I know it was NOT there before and no head trauma either. I found a site that may help some of you, Parry Romberg Syndrome, something to look into just to compare symptoms. Not to scare anyone, but some of you alls symptoms may fit. We are going to take her to the DR. Tom and will get back with you to let you know. Good luck.
I have this problem too

I am a 22 year old male, 140lbs, and in good health (exercises daily)
I do not take in as much calcium as I should, but I get good amounts of sun weekly and do not believe I have a vitamin D deficiency

About 4 months ago I noticed from a photograph that my hair seemed to dip down toward the top middle of my skull

After getting a really short haircut the dip was more evident

It is a tender spot, as the others have mentioned, and by massaging it the spot does begin to feel "cold" - doing so also creates a pressure in the head like sinus pressure

Sometimes the dip seems to be deeper, in a sense more swollen inwards -- such as after wearing headphones for a long time or getting very hot

I have been going on the past 4 months believing that this must have been a deformation from birth, yet now that I have come across this page and think about it more, I would have noticed by now if I had this dent all my life

I tried to explain the problem to my dad, who thought I was crazy and that my head looked normal - he says my crown is just more prominent and higher - but after reading your posts I share your symptoms as well

I have had migraines all my life, but the past few years they have almost gone away completely (which the neurologist I visited 10+ years ago said they would go away in early adulthood).  I do not know if these are related, considering I just began noticing the dent

I am skeptical about going to doctors over this issue, especially after all of the trials and tribulations the previous posters have gone through - with little solution

I may break down and go through the doctor process, just to see if I have better luck - maybe one of us can find a good explanation/solution?

I wish you all the best, please provide followups or additional information and I will do the same

Sam
I'm so glad that I found this post as now I don't feel like such a freak.  About 2yrs ago I started having episodes of fainting & seizure like tremors.  They were very infrequent but gradually started becoming more frequent so I finally got myself to a doctor.  I've had all kinds of blood tests, EKGs, EEGs, and MRIs.  Lots of $ later, the doctor said there is no medical indication of why I was having these episodes.  It's just something I have to live with & self monitor.
While he was looking at the MRI he noted an indentation of the brain.  I can't feel it but the dr. said it's visible through pictures.  He indicated it's not anything to be worried about at this point.  I'm 30 by the way.
Blood tests revealed a Vitamin D deficiency.  My number was 28.  The normal range is 30-70 with average people being at 50.  
Also got diagnosed with brisk reflexes which is basically hyperactive reflexes.  Seems like everything is connected but not life threatening.  Hope everything works out for everyone else out there!  If anyone has any additional information for me, I'd love to hear it.
I've experienced the same indentation in the skull and lack of answers from doctors. Juliee26's post seems to have found a cause and solution. I'm curious. Has anyone had a bone density test/dexa scan in their search for  answers?  My CT Scan showed nothing - not even that there was an indention!  Thought maybe a bone density test might  show the general porousness of bone that could explain these indentations, especially if there  is Vit D & Calcium deficiencies.   Any other explanations out there?  deb600818
I have just found this website and I am so thankful to all of you that written.  I found the indentation in the front part of my skull near the hairline 2 days ago and to be honest I am worried to death.  I am a 45 year old woman with 2 gorgeous kids and a wonderful husband and without sounding dramatic I am so scared that it is something 'serious'.  It is 2.00am in the morning and I cant sleep for worrying.  BUT after reading all the comments I feel a little better - I am not crazy it really is a real thing.  I will make an appointment first thing tomorrow and see what they say. I feel that I can at least go to a doctor be a little more informed as to what they should test me for.  Thank you again to everyone!
I am a 32 year old female from California.  About 6 months ago my hair stylist noticed 3 bald spots on my head, I immediately went to see my dermatologist and she gave me cortisone shots.  The hair started growing back a few weeks after the first treatment but now I noticed another bald spot at the top right side of my head accompanied by an indentation.  I noticed that a few of you have had the same symptoms as me. Has anyone found out why?  I’m really freaked out but I’m glad I’m not alone :( I'm seeing my doctor next week and will post what I find out…
I'm 32 years old I noticed an indentation on the right side of my forehead.  I first noticed it within the past year.  It starts about a centimetre across and above my eyebrow, and it's on a 45° angle.  It's the width of my thumb, and around the length of it, from the tip to the 2nd knuckle.  I checked just now, and I had to get the light on the right angle to finally see that i've got it on the left side of the face too.

I was wondering what could have caused it, and I finally realised what it is.  It's kinda laughable.

I ride a motorbike.  I have a tight fitting helmet.  When i put it on and take it off, I hold the helmet by it's side, and my thumbs press against the side of my forehead where the indentations are.  I'll start putting my helmet on differently now and see if they go away.

If you have similar take note of exactly what you do throughout the day which might apply pressure to that spot, especially when resting your head.  That could be it for you too.
Wow...

I noticed 2 indentations (quite deep!) in the front part of the top of my skull, they correspond with where my sunglasses sit....but my sunglasses don't cause any pressure on my head! I have stopped wearing my sunglasses on my head, but the indentations are still there. This has been going on for a couple of weeks, and I will be going to the doctor!

In brief: I am 34, in the last 5 years, I have had many headaches(sometimes, very sharp pains behind my right eye), I've had an MRI which came back fee and clear...I feel groggy ALOT (even after a good night's sleep), and often forget words or numbers (which is NOT like me at all).

When I was younger (like 5 and 7) I cracked my skull (hairline fractures in both instances) once on my forehead and once at the base/back of my head.

The indendations are sensitive when I touch them.
I will be going to the doctors asap, but I sure am happy to have found this site, because my doctor isn't the most attentive...and even if you came into his office with a gaping hole in your chest, he'd tell you you were imagining things.

I'll post what I find out, and I hope others will too.
I am experiencing the same thing, indentation in my skull front/top of my head. Noticed it 6 months ago and it has gotten bigger. Wondering, what is going on?!
This has been very informative. I noticed my indent on the middle back of my skull a year or two ago. It was slightly tender but I didn't get too bothered about it. Recently, it has the dull ache and feels like a bruise and it is definitely bigger  (my husband and mother both said it was too). After reading these posts from people with similar symptoms, I've decided not to worry as much. I am not going to get an MRI. I WILL take Julie26 recommendation since it made the most sense to me.  I am healthy 42 year old female. My mother has osteoarthritis and so she thought I might have a calcium or vitamin deficiency. Don't know if these other variables are related but I have had an increase in menstrual headaches, have joint aches, have neck problems due to congenital birth cervical neck fusion & neck injuries (including flipping in a car less than a yr ago). I also have bone formations that are now about the size of peas that are on my lower pallet.  I will be taking advice of Julie 26 and getting parathyroid tested & calcium and vitamin D too. Thanks everyone.
As for the person who thought this was enlightenment, sorry, but I did find that amusing.
Brilliant! FINALLY a group of people who know what i'm on about.
I have two dents either side of where my middle parting would be at the back of my head. Its really odd isn't it.. that feeling when you first notice it and try to remember noticing it before. Many thanks for all of you sharing your research... I mentioned it to my doc when there was only one dent and she was quite curious about it and said to come back if it got worse. Think i'd better, even if it's just to check on vitamin levels. I have a blood clotting problem for which I have to take warfarin so I have to avoid vitamin K... i'll be interested to hear if any of you are deficiant in K... I too get headaches and my brain sometimes descends into a confused fog but I think that is to do with the warfarin. Sometimes stringing sentences together and numbers/spelling can be really challenging, which my pupils find quite amusing... even if i say a letter outloud and try to write it down I write something different. Bizarre :0)
Many thanks for all your comments..... they are informative and interesting. I am amazed to find so many others with a 'dent' in the skull.
To those of you who experience pain in association with the indentation I can empathize.
My 'dent' is about 35mm to the right hand side of center and approximately mid way between my crown and forehead.
I have come to the conclusion that it is connected with a condition called cervical spondilytis from which I suffer. This condition is caused by wear and tear + growth of bony lesions to the cervical spine which trap the nerve as it exits the spinal column. In my case I experience pain resulting from inflammation of the nerve to the right hand side of my neck, shoulder and face extending over my head.
The indentation is often present following and episode, if pressed, I experience a sharp pain together with some tenderness for some while after the initial episode began.
My conclusion is that the part of the skull becomes inflamed as part of the bodies natural reaction to combat the pain. As a result of this muscle, surrounding tissue and blood vessels become enlarged/ swollen thus forming a 'depression' or 'dent' . I do not think it is connected with the actual bone of the skull.
I hope this may be of use to some of you?
Wow... I guess I feel better knowing I'm not out there alone.  I'm a 39 yr old female who first noticed two indentions on either side of my middle part right at the top of my head (starting about 2 1/2 inches from my front hairline)  There is no pain involved and although I don't press real hard on the dents, when I do rub or press on it, there is no pain.  I've not had a head injury and I know it wasn't there a year ago.  It's so evident that when I had my husband and daughter rub their fingers across the top of my head... they freaked out.  I don't know if the middle part area is "rising" or if the two indentions on either side of the part are sinking.  I had a CT scan about 5yrs ago after falling off a horse but it was only as a precaution and no trauma was to the head.  I don't have headaches and I don't have dizziness or fatigue.  As crazy as it may sound, I was reading someone else post about wearing shades on top of your head... I wear them there ALL THE TIME.  Although they are plastic shades and they just hold my hair back, the nose pieces do seem to "sink" down in the dents.  Is this just me grasping for answers or has my habit of using shades as a headband contributed to my dents?  I go to the Dr about twice a yr for check ups on blood pressure and cholesterol (& normal blood tests)... Overall, I'm healthy.  These dents became "noticeable" within the last 4-5 months and seem to be getting "deeper".  I'm definitly scheduling an appt to go see my Dr.  I'm wondering about the vitamin deficiency but I'm a "country girl" and eat my share of veggies and home cooked meals... I guess I've never thought about a vitamin deficiency.  For a woman with hair it's easy to cover, but I'm still worried about what's going on inside that cranium of mine :)
I just read these posts, and have to say I have the two indentations with a raised middle on the top of my skull by my hairline.  I also wear my sunglasses on my head everyday...habit and keeps the hair out of my face!  My sunglasses fit perfectly in the indents.  I dont know if it is anything to worry about because I have no other health issues, am 26 years old.  I just contribute it to the sunglasses? Is that even possible!
Wow.  Some of you have symptoms so similar to mine, I have trouble believing this is an unusual thing.  Carlton's Mom and Meemsand Cheems - I have almost identical issues.  I discovered my indentations two days ago, and am concerned, so started googling things. I have one bigger dent - about the width of my finger and almost as long, at the right front side of my head, just above the hairline.  There is another, smaller, almost parallel indentation just on the other side of where a middle part would be.  Like many others, it's almost exactly where I typically push up my glasses (which are up there abt 50% of the time).  I'm a 37 year old female, and am positive that the dents were not there a week ago.  I'm generally healthy - but just like MeemsandCheems, often get headaches centered just behind my right eye, am very fatigued - even after a good night's sleep, and have been getting forgetful (though that may just be my age and running after two toddlers all the time!).  Also, about two months ago I started losing hair - not enough to be really concerned, but much more than usually comes out in my brush or in the shower.  
I'll prob to to a doctor, but if anyone else is in the same boat - let me know what additional information you find out!
wow i thought i was the only 1 , i just got a indentation last week its pretty deep but only the size of my finger   im 1000% sure that i didnt have it before so i took quick action and went to my doctor today he said he never seen nothing like it and hes not sure what it is but is  100% sure its not life threatning  and told me it wont hurt to get an xray so i have to go tmrw and wait 2 weeks for results   he said its unlikley its anything to do with the scalp and  has to do with the tissue that indented  ( which should be some new info for some of you people )

i really hope it dosnt get bigger or get anymore  indentations cause i shave my head and my hairs thinning
I'm  not crazy... I have a large indentation at the front of my scull about an inch into my hairline. In the past couple of months the indentation has gotten much deeper. A couple weeks ago, I noticed a new dent to the right of the first one, and today I have found another one to the right of the second dent. They feel like creases. Everyone can feel them, and everyone reacts strangely when they feel them.
Sometimes the deepest one hurts.
did you get xrays done?
anyone who has gotten anywhere w/ their doc's on what this could be??? i also have many of the symptoms & am scared! this definitely was NOT there about a week ago...i'm wondering if this is something common in people in their 30's and 40's...i'm almost 40. female. are most of us female? i'm wondering also if this is dehydration. i'm scared. a nurse on one of those help lines i called never heard of this before. my boyfriend thought it was hilarious to joke about when i told him not to laugh and that there is a dent in my head...& as much as i'd like to say i think its funny i really am lying when i joke about it...truly i'm a nervous wreck.

anyone whose been on here a while w/ this issue have any diagnosis or cause? this is bizarre. mine aches too. more and more.
also, my dent is about 2" from where a headband would be, and it runs about 3-4" same way headband or sunglasses would lay on head...horizontally i suppose i'd call it. seems to be deeper daily. i just noticed it a few days ago...thought it was just scalp residue or something...but this is definitely a dent in my noggin.
omg im sooo relived i found this forum!.
im 20 years old my name is nicholas im a male. and i live in p.a
i just noticed two dents yesterday afternoon when out of no where i had an ache in the back of my head. i instantly bugged and looked in the mirror. i watch alot of mystery diagnosis so i thought it was a parasite! but i now know its isn't. i never get upset and ive been crying all day. i told my boss i wont be working today. because my head hurts soo bad. i have NO insurance. so i cant go to doctors. and even if i did i prob wouldn't because just like everyone else i tell they think i'm "crazy" i deff have low vitamin D and prob calcium also. but that can't be the only problem! i never head a head injury. but i did notice where i wear bulky headphones the middle of band is where my biggest dent is. so maybe because of lack of something it makes our skulls more sensitive and easier to puncture. and then after there in a dent it doesn't go away because our body doesn't have what is needed to do so. IDK? im prob repeating what was already said. i'm just younger than just about everyone but like 2 ppl. im 20!! and a male!! 85% of you are 30 plus and our woman. i don't understand! we all need to figure out the one thing we all have in common BESIDES low nutrients. if it was that simple i think we would of all been alright already. another thing two nights ago i got drunk and couldnt drive so i slept in my car. i deff put some pressure on my head but enough to put a dent in it? i doubt it. THIS IS TRUELY SURREAL! please help me anyone. i just need some comfort at this point sadly i ONLY have this forum to look at for hope. so  please someone provide me with a lil..:(
First of all, don't panic. I don't think anyone on here has had a diagnosis where there is a serious health problem, just vitamin def, but it is a really odd thing to happen isn't it? I haven't had any diagnosis and my doc is a bit clueless about it. It won't hurt to take paracetamol or asprin or some other over the counter pain killer for a few days and see if the headache is better or at least dulled a bit. Stressing out may even be making the headache worse. Make sure you're drinking enough water and maybe lay off the alcohol for a bit!! If you save this forum on your computer you'll get any updates that anyone adds so if any of us do find out anything else, you'll be notified.
Keep calm. x
thanxx. i really appreciate you tryin to open my eyes to the obv. i already take pain meds for my back and the headaches still wont go away. its SO weird because i recently just started drinking again. i drank 4 days in a row (i know its gross) and then the 5th morning woke up with this indent! i think it has to do with a combination of many things. i stopped drinking, and i've been drinking lots of water. i Know for a fact that my stress level isnt increasing my headaches. I say this because when im out and about walking around thats when my head POUNDS. When I'm home laying down my headache almost disappears. and i love to dance and just yesterday bobing my head a little hurt to song in the car gave me a migraine:(. My indent has gotten smaller when i woke up this morning. I see a doctor at the end of the month, and I'm refusing to spend thousands of x-rays and MRI's so I'm only gonna agree on blood work because thats the only reasonable thing to do in my eyes. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYONES POSTS. Their getting me through the days. If anyone figures out anything new about these dents or simply another theory on how they appeared or how to  fix this. PLEASE POST IT.. Goodluck Everyone!
I Have one as well its on the right side curved part its been there a long time and I've always had horrible migraine headaches since I was like 9, unfortunately I had horrible foster parents that never took me to a doc. I'm 31 now and have for the past year been getting migraines again and these "episodes" that I swear are borderline seizures... I get dizzy see speckles, have a funny tingling sensation in my nose and face (like you get when ur arm falls asleep) and I get a twitchy feeling. I've gone to the er and they tell me they don't know what's wrong, to stay hydrated and make sure I eat balanced meals. I never mentioned my dent, I'm wondering if there is some type of correlation between the 2. Also is it weird that a lot of the people posting are in their 30s.... poor prenatal care in the 70s? Hmmm
by marsh1977, Nov 04, 2008 08:35PM

Thank you for the information about your sunglasses and not eating properly and I just noticed two large dents in my head and started freaking out until I saw your post and then figured out that it is from exactly that and my husband in now laughing his butt off at me.Hope all goes well with you, I now understand that this is from my calcium defieciency and bad diet and my stupid sunglasses caused the dents in my head from wearing them daily in the same spot. I feel ridiculous but i am happy to know that that was all it was.
I also have an indent on the top right of my head. I've noticed this years ago and was terrified at first...but was convinced it was harmless. However as of me writing this...the entire area over the indent feels like a bowling ball hit the side of my head. It's painful, and giving me random bouts of dizziness. Just recently, two weeks ago I started seeing black floaters in my right eye. Dr. told me this was normal, checked it and was ok. After the floaters came a feeling of constant dizziness. All the time, even now. This is the worst the pain has ever been though which is why I came looking for answers. I don't think this is normal...I hit my head when I was a kid, im 21 now...but idk. I'm very scared...but with no insurance or cash...theres not much I can do. I just had blood work done and that came back perfect, along with blood pressure. By reading through the comments, I'd say I might have it the worst when it comes to the pain and whatnot...this is very scary :(

Thank you for taking the time to read.
I also noticed some dents on the top of my head around the hair line.  Sensitive to touch and tingling sensation.  I'm 29 years old and have not had any other health issues.  Thanks for posting...this is helpful  
I am 34 years old, I have 2 children aged 16, and 13. I live in Wisconsin. Recently within the last few days I have found 3 or 4 dents on my head. The biggest one is on the top of my head to the right of my hairline. The others are below it more to the right and lower down. They sometimes feel as if they are burning, itchy, and I have lost most of my hair in these areas. I have not noticed any headaches; nor have ever suffered from any. However; I have started to get very minor ones that do not last long. I have noticed minor memory loss, a little stuttering, and some flutters in my ears. The spots are mushy too the touch, and the bones around the top one feel raised and harder.

My health history: I have been diagnosed with alopecia ( I have had this since around 4th grade ), I have asthma, excema, and pretty severe allergies. I have lived with bouts of hair loss from my alopecia in the past, and this is not alopecia. This is something very unusual, ( and by reading all these posts with the doctors being baffled, and many more speaking up about this-- I am wondering if the government knows, but hasn't told us! ) I feel like calling Erin Brokovich or Michael Moore to investigate it for us.... or maybe I am just sounding crazy.

Medications that I am on: advair, over the counter allergy medication, and albuterol. I have been taking these for years.

I recently started to take vitamin d, biotin, vitamin e, calcium, and potassium. I started to take vitamin d gummies about 1.5 wks ago because I live in Wisconsin and we do not get much sun in the winter. I take vitamin e for prevention of facial wrinkles, biotin to hopefully make my hair grow back faster, calcium because I do not drink much milk, and potassium for my heart has started to recently flutter as well. It started fluttering a couple weeks ago, my chest would tighten up a bit, and I would get a natural reaction to cough to stop it. Not sure if all this is related.

I noticed a couple alopecia bald spots a few months ago. I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago to get a thyroid test just to be sure. Thyroid was normal. The bald spot on the top of my head is not like my alopecia bald spots.

Some people have mentioned possible pinched nerve... I think that I do have one, and I will definitely be going to the chiroprator to get it straightened out. However; I am quite sure that millions of people suffer pinched nerves with no dented heads, and hair loss.

I drink beer, I smoke cigarettes, and I don't get as much sleep as I should.

We really need to piece this all together. Are there similiarities in where we al live? I am not a stressed out kind of person, and have never really suffered from depression. Are we taking similiar medications? Eating or drinking the same products?

Let's all please keep this forum going, and please keep each other updated. I have an appointment at my doctors office for a pneumonia shot this coming up week, and I will definitely be shoving this forum in his face to read. I also see my dermatologist on Nov. 4th for my alopecia shots to my head. I will also bring this up to him, and shove the proof in his face as well. These doctors need to start believing us and figuring something out, and FAST before I lose all of my hair, and get terrible migraines.

( I had my first steroid shots to my scalp a couple of weeks ago..... although the bald spots were already there.... the dent was not ) How many of you get these shots?

This all just seems way to bizarre to me that most of us have gotten indented heads overnight! Let's help each other.... and thank you all for your posts, as they have made me feel a ton better knowing that I am not the only one.
Someone had mentioned a type of Morphoea called "En coup de sabre". Does this sound like some of us? What do you all think?

http://dermnetnz.org/immune/morphoea.html
More information that I have come across while researching our problem:

http://www.*************.com/drdean/408/13506.html
http://www.medicinenet.com/pagets_disease/article.htm

I found this on a forum at ehealth :
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic9215.html

Someone wrote:

Just recently, I believe I have discovered the cause, which is directly related to nutrition. I found that I have a gluten intolerance, which led to a complete diet change. Over the last month, I have been absorbing the nutrition from food, which is leading to my dent closing up - it is very painful because it is moving so fast.

In regard to the steroid injections into the scalp, I found these:

Someone wrote:
Okay, I found out what mine was. In May my hairdresser found a small spot of alopecia in the back of my head. I went to a dermatologist who said they could stop the hair loss by giving me a shot of a steroid in that spot. It is a long lasting steroid so it sometimes takes awhile to see the reactions you can have from it. Anyway, the steroid caused muscle atrophy which caused my muscle to cave in in that spot. It can take months for it to go away. I noticed the dent in August and it is now much smaller and not sensitive anymore but still there.

Someone wrote:
I am 36 yrs old and have been suffering with severe cronic (chronic) headaches since Aug 06. I woke up one morning and there it was. The first lasted until around March of 07, when I finally saw "the love of my life" a pain specialist, who started giving me steroid shots in the back of my head and my forehead. They took a couple times to start working, but they did start helping along with massive pain pills. Anyway, probably about 3 months ago I noticed a large dent in the back of my head also about 2 x 1 1/2 inches long and fairly deep on my right side. Then slowly realized a smaller one on my left side, which is not quite as big, but is painful to the touch. Not to mention I've also noticed that my "original" soft spots are also more indented too! I spoke to my Dr. about this and after examining them, he believes them to be inflammation points within the muscles in my head. Since it is just the muscles that are inflammed it causes a ridge around the other areas (if that makes sense?).

I am really trying to figure this out!
My girl is 14 and has the indent in her forehead a little above her eyebrow. She drinks orange jucie everyday ands goes in the sun to and she is perfectly healthy. Shoul I worry and take her to the docters or just leave it alone?
OMG. It seems that many ppl have dents that are unexaplainable. It worries me to know that doctors many times, have no knowledge of cases or resolutions to issues like dents and linked headaches. I, myself have a dent on the crown of my head the size of a silver dollar. I have had this dent as long as i can remember. I asked my mom about this and she does not know the cause of this or when it appreared. i do not have headaches or anything of the sort but it is very tender and always has been. Im embarrased to have my hair cut or my head touched. A friend of mine ran her hand through my head and said "OMG what happen to you? did they hit u with a base ball bat when you were a baby?" it was a serious question. This is what got me thinking and reserching for a cause of this deformity. If any one finds an answer please share. Thanks!
Thank goodness you are all here! I'm a 55 year old woman, who discovered a dent in the crown of my head about 6 months ago. I've also notice the top of my head being very sensative at times like someone said....like I had that hair in a ponytail for too long, not hurting, just sensitive. I have not notice my dent changes, being sometimes more noticeable than other times.
I have had times (not recently) where it felt like someone poured warm liquid down the side of my head (which freaked me out that maybe a blood vessel had burst in my brain...but after mentioning to my husband and seeing his reaction, I did not mention to my Dr.)
Oh, and i have had a head injury back about 7 years ago...tripped and hit my head hard on a brick post....but had an xray and MRI then and all was ok.  Don't know if that could be related...but I noticed several people mentioned this.
I am going to start by getting some blood work and see if I can get a referral to a Endocrinologist to see if I can get a complete blood chemistry work up  I have alot of stress with my job, and am on a computer 8-10 hours every day.  I noticed several others are on computers alot also.
I'll update if I find an anwer but feel better that I'm not alone.
After checking out some information on "coupe de sabre", those dents generally start at the front of the head and many times go down the forehead, not at the crown of the head, just fyi.
I have researched this topic over and over, and I keep coming to this same post, I too have a dent at the top center of my head that is large enough to fit at least 2 fingers, width, and length wise.  I am worried, that there may be some type of brain damage there because I have had lots of memory loss, and cognitive dysfunction lately. I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday, and i hope everything will be fine.  But it is certainly nice to see there are others like me.  I am surprised to know that No one has really figured this out yet, and that most of the doctors seem to be clueless.  Oh well I guess we will have to keep researching for each other, I will post results from my test as well as any information I gather on this topic.
I am a 39 yr old female.  Back in January I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation I, with a 9mm herniation... I have gone almost a year straight with daily headaches, that mostly stay at about a level 4-5 with medications (now at 100 mg topamax and 50 mg amitriptoline daily) but other days the headaches can be worse, never are they less.  I recently discovered an indintation on the top left side of my head, and I am missing hair in it.  It is about the size of a nickle, maybe a little bigger.  It is very sensitive all the time, feels like I have had my hair up or pulled back.  I went to see my neurologist today and she said that she thought it was something dermotiolgical, so I will be going to see a dermotologist, but it still worries me.  Reading everyone's posts I find kind of comforting, especially knowing that I am not the only one out here with this going on, but it is not as comforting knowing that no one seems to be getting answers.  It feels about like what I am running into with a lot of things with the Chiari.  If I come across anything else I will make sure and post.  Thanks as for posting :-D
I came across this forum because I noticed a dent in the top right side of my skull and Im pretty sure it hasn't always been there. I was layin back with my head leaning on the headboard without a pillow. I started feeling the pressure because I had been doing it for a while,so I sat up and rubbed my head and it felt like it was flat in that spot. It was like my skull had been pushed in in that spot. It doesn't hurt but it just feels strange when I run my hand around the top of my head. I never would have thought this would be possible.Now Im scared to push on it too hard,,thinking it might crack like an egg.lol
im only sixteen and i have had a dent at the top of my head since i was little. my cousin accidentally dropped a hammer on my head but it had no effect on me and didnt bother me. ive recently discovered that now there is a second dent that was not there before, it is connected to the first one and when i first noticed it, it didnt hurt at all. but now only a few weeks after i noticed it, i can barely touch that spot on my head, it is on the left top of my head towards the back. if i even touch my hair it hurts. its like a searing headache but only when i touch it. im going to the doctors tomorrow but i fear that ill be told the same as all of you. im extremely terrified that its a tumor or cancer. but im hoping that is not the case. wish me luck??
I am only 12 years old and i have this dent in my head it is about as long as my finger. It doesnt make my head hurt at all it is just there i dont know why. I will try that get that vitaman D thing. Even thought it looked lik it was just people in the 30s.
I have been noticing the same type of dent at the crown of my head for a little while now. I'm 47 and began noticing that my hair would split apart at the top when I'd blow dry it. Before it would stay full and curled. Now it just goes flat. The indentation is sensitive to the touch. I think I'll try drinking more water, being more faithful to take my multivitamin and maybe use less hair products and see what happens. It's very disturbing to say the least!
57 yo female – I found a long narrow dent in the upper mid-back of my skull about 3 months ago.  It continues to lengthen, towards my forehead.  As it does, the area in front of the dent becomes tender and I have very site specific headaches for the few days it takes for the new part of the dent to develop.    The trough of the dent feels very cool, unlike the surrounding scalp.  I have a couple of other unusual and serious health issues, but none seem related.  It’s taken 15 mos to get the other issues stabilized and I dread bringing another weird symptom to my various Drs (and the attendant chaos).  Based on this thread, I’ll carry on as tho this is a strange but fairly normal condition.  I’ll probably up my Calcium & D and continue to follow your comments.  it’s still up in my hair line and if it moves closer to my face I’ll probably get a lot more excited.  Thanks for all of your comments and best of health to you all!  
Its really comforting to know that I am not dying or something. I was really afraid as to what was happening and have still not consulted the doctor yet. I was so afraid that i may lose my life and the thought scared me to the core. I have 3 little girls and seriously dont want to die on them now....

Will be going to the doctor tomorrow and lets see what he has to say...
I have recently seen a neurologist for my 3 verticle indentations. I have a new one down my forehead to the slight left of my left eyebrow. You can feel it, but not see it. The 3 indentations on the top front of my head can be seen and felt.
I had a CT scan, MRI, and lots of blood work. My neurologist is stumped so he is sending me to a rheumatologist and endocrinologist.
I have localized pain when the areas are touched.
Originally- the neurologist was looking for multiple myeloma or pagets disease.
I am 20 and I too have an indent on the back right side of my skull. Ive had it for a while but haven't got it checked out yet because it doesn't hurt and hasnt bothered me. But after noticing that the indent has gotten deeper and ive notice a couple more smaller ones around my head im definitely visiting the doc tomorrow. I also noticed that i have an indent on the right side of my collar bone and another on my upper shin on my right leg, dont know if its a coincidence that they are all on the right side i hope and pray i dont have a bone disease or something but i am worried!
Like everyone else, I am glad to have found this forum!

I noticed a large indent in my head nearly a year ago. It just so happened that the indent - though only on one side- was right where my sunglasses rested in my head. It was like my sunglasses created a deep groove in my head. I freaked out about it initially, but then decided that I just needed to stop putting my glasses on my head and it would probably go away. It never went away, it got less deep after a few days of keeping my glasses off my head though.
After a few months, it wasn't bothering me so I pretty much forgot about it.. I did however mention it to a doctor when I went in to an urgent care center for a sinus infection. The doctor felt it and was shocked at the size, but didn't seem to think there was any reason to worry about it unless it got bigger or started hurting and she joked that she was diagnosing me as 'weird'. So I decided to forget about it again.
Until now- it has gotten very sensitive recently, and the surrounding area feels tingly, itchy and uncomfortable. Its making me very nervous. I have been having dull headaches everyday for the past 5 days and feeling very tired and my mind is just fuzzy and slow in general.
I am going to visit my regular doctor this week and I will keep posting and updating about my experience.
I find it so comforting to know that other people have similar symptoms - but its not so comforting to know that there hasn't been a firm diagnosis or successful treatment. Good to know that there is some common things like the Calcium and vitamin D deficiency- also saw someone mention the gluten intolerance. A year and a half ago I was experiencing some major digestive problems and through an elimination diet, came to the conclusion that I was gluten intolerant- though I have never been tested or diagnosed as such. Maybe this is somehow related.
I'll keep you posted.
Thank you to Juliee26 for the info on the parathyroid.  I looked it up and fit all but 2 symptoms.  I will be in touch with my doctor about this tomorrow.

I am a 46 year old female.  I too have discovered an indentation on my head this past week.  I know that it was not there before.  It is on the top, left side of my skull running from front to back.  Interestingly enough, may of the things I have read fit, except it seems, backwards from many others symptoms that I have read about.  I don't think I have ever had any kind of head injury that would cause something like a dent, but I was involved in a car accident 2 years ago and 23 years ago, both resulting in some neck trauma and some arthritis in my neck.
I have had symptoms that I thought may have been related to other issues -chest pain, palpatations, fatigue, increasing hormonal headaches, irritability, sleep problems, some shortness of breath and pounding in my ears when I walk up the stairs.  Until the holidays, I was exercising pretty regularly.  I was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency 9 months ago and have been taking a prescription dose every week since.  My Vit D is back into normal range, but the dent just appeared a week ago.  I generally keep to a lower carb diet, even though that hasn't helped with weight loss over the last 3-4 years.  I was thinking that these were symptoms of perimenopause.

Most recently, I started with a strange headache in the back left side of my head.  Most of my symptoms seem to be on the left side.  3 weeks ago, I started to have numbness on the left side of my face, which sometimes feels like burning.  I have had this headache since Thanksgiving.  I had an MRI last week, but have not gotten the results yet.  The dent itself is not painful, but when I press on it, I notice that it makes my sinus area feel strange and then back to where this headache stems from.  I also have had these weird vibrations in my body in the last couple of weeks.  The only other thing that I have noticed that has been noted by many is that I have been wearing my reading glasses on my head almost constantly in the last couple of months.  My closer eyesight has gotten so bad in the last year (I am sure age related).  I also have been asking my doctor to check my thyroid, in which blood test have come up normal every time.  I am noticing a lot of hair loss in my brush and I have been losing my eyebrows from the center out.  This seemed to be brushed off by the doctors.

I was hoping to hear that someone has found out something about their indentations.  I am very glad to hear that so far it doesn't seem to be life threatening.  I have 3 children to take care of as well.  This forum has put me more at ease.  Thank you all!

I look forward to sharing more and learning more from you all.
i thought i was crazy too! am so glad i found this page :) had some of the same symptoms like fluid, sensitive to touch, alittle bit of headaches not being able to pronounce my words properly that is really frustrating!

iam 18, female from scotland i have a dent at the top back of my head on the crown i only noticed it when a friend pointed it out to me i was 16 at the time. Just a couple of years before that i used to get really bad head aches and really bad pressure in my head, the only way i was able to discribe it to people was that  it was like a balloon in my head. i went to the Dr about it and they didnt know what it was they just put it down to hormones but maybe it was to do with it.

just a couple of months ago i got the fluid in my head i didnt know what it was it was horrible! i had it for a couple of days and i had to go about holding my head to stop the trickling feeling. People would look at me funny! haha and ask why i was doing that and the only way i was able to discribe what it felt like was, that there was water running down the side of the inside of my head and it was cold "i think they thought i was crazy" lol. now i know it must of been fluid on the brain! it went away a few days later so didnt bother going to the doctors but i think i will go and get my dent looked at to be on the save side :)
I also have a indentation on the left side of my head, i noticed it a couple of months ago.  I have Ulcerative colitis and it is in a flare right now. I have been reading the post and wonder if it could be low calcium or something, since everything I eat immediately comes out not letting me keep nutrients.  Going to ask the dr, if this could be related.  Thanks for the posting, helps me feel a little better.
I went to the doctor, and so far I am left with little information aside from the fact that my brain is not in danger- which is a relief. After the doctor checked out my skull, I was told that the spot where my indent is located is right where my frontal and parietal bones meet. there was no soft spots, just bone. I was asked if I had noticed any other changes with my bones-has my shoe size, hat size, height changed? They have not - I haven't noticed any other changes with my body. I was told that it is possible for bones to grow and change. No catscan or MRI needed at this point.
Even if my bones were moving, the doctor seemed skeptical that it would be causing so much of the pressure and headaches I've been feeling on just the right side. No fluid was found in my ear, no sinus sensitivity, no other clues. I was told that I could just have a virus and that my symptoms could be unrelated to my indent.
My blood was taken to test my vitamin d and calcium etc.- I'll be waiting a few more days for the results.
That's it for now.
Me again..
Blood work came back- and I was not surprised to learn that I have a vitamin D deficiency. My level was 7, normal is between 30-80. I was given a prescription for a mega dose of vitamin D, which I am to take once a week for 4 months.. The nurse told me that getting my levels back up was only the first step, next is to find out why my levels are so low..
After looking at symptoms of vitamin D deficiency and comparing them to what I have been going through, I've found that this really makes sense - I recommend you do the same! This may not be such a horrifying thing after all- we'll see...

Some of the things that really stood out to me were:

-Softening and weakening of the bones ((This could be the cause of my indent?))

-Skeletal deformities
    - Asymmetrical or odd-shaped skull  (( <---------------- !!!!!! ))

-Dental deformities  (( I have very poor enamel in my teeth, lots of cavities))
    - Defects in the structure of teeth; holes in the enamel
    - Increased cavities in the teeth
    - Progressive weakness

-Muscle cramps

Hope this brings some relief or help to you guys! I'll keep updating with my progress.

wow. thot i was the only one. i'm 44 & have had an indentation where the "soft spot" is since i was @ least 10 or so. the only problem it ever gave me was if i did anything like stand on my head,  (u know how ya do as a kid), coz it simply hurt - bad!  as the yrs have gone by, it has definitely grown larger. no pain from it unless i push on it real hard. also over the last few yrs, i have had more show up. there is one on either side by the top of my skull & at the very back @ the base of my skull that has grown pretty fast. i have never had it checked out.  was wandering about the vit d deficiency & was wandering if it  had anything to do with it - not so much now, but from infancy. i was allergic to the formula & was put on whole milk @ about 2mnths old. was anemic & had to have a blood transfusion before i  was 2 yrs old.  not sure if any of that could have any relation, but, its a thot.  
I also have a large dent toward the back on top of my head that is tender. I notice I am also losing a lot of hair in the shower, sink, floor and so on. Some one mentioned they had a parasite. This is just a thought but a tick is a parasite and I have been bitten few times before. Maybe it could be related to a tick born illness or Lyme. Just a thought. I am going to the Dr soon to be tested for Lyme because I am feeling some symptoms related to Lyme. I will show him the indent and see what he thinks and write back and let everyone know. I dought I will be a exception and get a diagnosis but I will post any how. I go to the Dr Monday.
O k I went to the Doctor today and had a vitamin D test. I will let everyone know on Friday the result. I did look up vitamin D deficiency symptoms and this Is a symptom. I think this is it. I am hoping its this simple of a thing. :)
I'm very glad to have found this forum.  

Last night I was playing with my 11 year old daughters hair as we were cuddling and watching tv and found a dent in her head near the front right side.  I didn't say anything to her because she is a worrier.  I secretly was ready to go into meltdown.  "NOOOOOO....please lord, don't let there be something wrong with my baby."

Of course, I had to tell her today about the appointment and why and I played it down big time.  She's more worried about a needle ***** than something being wrong.  That's good.

After reading practically every post, I feel a bit better as I wait for my daughters' 2:15pm doctor appointment where I will be insisting on tests.  Xray and blood work are the minimums.  I have awesome insurance that never turns down anything so I'm going to be that pushy mom at the doctors.  That's my job, right? She does complain that the muscles in her legs hurt sometimes, which a few posts back somebody mentioned that is also part of the Vitamin D deficiency.

Thank you to everybody who has posted because reading had warded off the major panic attack I was having.  Now I'm just down to a mini panic attack.  :)
Hi Lynn, I am going in for surgery 2/24/11 for parathyroid.  I am losing a great amount of calcium in my blood and passing through my kidneys. The calcium is being pulled from my bones.  I recently discovered about 3-4 weeks ago a indentation on my head and it has grown in diameter.  I will ask my surgeon if it is possible this is caused by the parathyroid.  They advised me that once the tumor or tumors are removed from my thyroid I calcium levels will go back to normal.  I was also advised my bones will heal.  I will have to continue test after surgery to make sure my bones are healing and if not take measures to help me heal w/ meds like Foxamax.  I too thought I was being paranoyd.  I am grateful you posted your situation.  I will let you know regarding my findings.
I am 18 and I noticed a dent on the top right side of my forehead when I was 17. I am positive that it wasnt there when i was younger.   The indent is. About 3-4 inches long but then. You can't see it from the outside, but it is very noticeable when touch that area. I havnt gone to the doctor yet because I don't have life insurance at the moment and I didn't think much of it until I read how rare this is. Can you guys please update me on what doctors think it is or what symptoms you guys have.
I have same thing and what some one said something about Hyperathroidism. I looked it up and I have every symptom for that but all so it has every thing to do with Vitamin D. Im not a doctor but my hunch is it has something to do with it.Going to doctor and will get back with all of you.
I just noticed these indents appear recently on the top of my mothers head (like she has recently had horns removed or something from her head)...googled it and found this post!  My mother does not wear sunglasses, hasn't for decades, and never wore them on her head (she is disabled from a brain tumor removal, removed from the back of her skull and doesn't get out much).  She has also suffered from degenerative arthritus for years, and properly just diagnosed with lyme (or borellia and co-infections) through an independant lab, Igenix.  Local hospitals, however, will not recognize, consider, diagnose nor treat.  She was recently hospitalized following a fall and also had a VP shunt installed in 2007.  I think it's some type of bone infection, borellia, a spirochette.  Good luck in getting it diagnosed and treated.  One needs to see a lyme literate doctor for proper diagnosis in my experience.
Hi there, I am 18 almost 19 years old, i noticed i had a large indent in my head where the crown is a couple months ago. since than, i have noticed 3 more "dents/dips" on my head. I have lost hair, but i do not know if this is related to the dents/dips. i went to the doctor, and he said it was just my lymph nodes, but i do not see how lymph nodes can cause dips in your head. also, i have noticed a bump on my butt-hole? (sorry i don't know what else to call it) he said it was an inflammation and gave me some medication for it. i took 2 pills of it and i stopped due to how it made me feel, the bump went away. i was supposed to take 4 pills a day, for 10 days.
i am very worried due to all these things happening at once. please tell me what is wrong
We all must be very special!

WOW!  I found mine tonight and immediately found this thread.  The power of the internet.  It's a beautiful things
I take 5,000 IU's Vitamin D.  Hmmmm...
I ete about 50% raw foods so I'm pretty much healthy.  

As far as symptoms go, I've been getting a very strange stabbing pain in my skull for a couple of months EXACTLY where my indentation is located & it doesn't last very long.  But it is a very strange feeling.

One other symptom that is of concern and am wondering if anyone else is suffering from (besides Lovelysistah) is Memory loss & cognitive dysfunction?  These, (for me as well as Lovely sistah) have been happening now quite frequently.  
Example of the C.D.:  I tried to turn on my dryer this afternoon and thought it was broke!  I was treating the knob like my washing machine knob.  It was embarrassing when my husband pointed that out.

When everyone describes what they discovered on their head, they describe it as an indentation.  Would you all describe it as crater like?  In other words, If one were to blow up a balloon it would be circular all the way around.  But if you were to take a silver dollar and press on a part of the balloon, I would say that would describe what mine is like.  My head is round in shape but when you come to the indentation; it dips down.

I send you ALL Blesses and good health!!
some people i have learned, have indents in their heads  ONLY where the crown is. its just normal for it to be there. But the difference is, i have 4 indents in my head in total, i believe that this is not normal, along with all my other symptoms i listed above.  PLEASE HELP ! i also have been feeling nervous when i woke up today? i have no idea why, and it will not go away ! no matter how much i think about it!

QUESTION: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO HAVE A MASS ON MY BRAIN?
thank you.
Hi everyone. Thanks for all your comments, It does feel good to know other people's experiences.
I'm 36 years old, noticed the dent at the crown of my head (a bit to the back) when I was 18. It was the size of a small coin so I just assumed I've had it and not noticed it. It did grow in size over the years but not fast enough to worry me.
I had a concussion a year ago, and have been suffering many symptoms since. Some of my symptoms are ringing in the ears, waking with nausea, fatigue, episodes of shakes, chronic headaches, tingling in my feet, etc. I've had MRI and CT scans and apart from some white spots that are not related to my symptoms (except headaches) everything seems fine. I've also had a full blood test including my Vit D, and it's all normal. However, I've just noticed that the dent has grown 3 or 4 times in size and is becoming more obvious. Also my skulls has become very sensitive to touch, on top of all my post concussion symptoms. I'm also a migraine sufferer.
What is interesting though, is that I just noticed my brother (45) and my father (66) both have the same dent in the same spot! This has made me think, maybe there's a genetic cause? Like a deficiency? My hair dresser also told me that her mother has the same dent and has been told it's caused by increased phosphorus in people with over-active brains, in other words, genuises!
I'm seeing a doctor soon, and will post if anything interesting comes out of my appointment. Good luck everyone and try to worry less as anxiety will only worsen your symptoms.
Thanks so much for taking the time to write us about your experiences and what you've taken note of.  I enjoyed your comment today.

On another note, I forgot to add that I too have the ringing in my head/ears.  So we do share that in common.  Has anyone else out there have this symptom?  But I've always chocked mine up to getting older.  Hmmm, I'm rethinking that one now.

One thing that has almost (I'd say about 95%) solved my migraine issues is seeing a Chiropractor.  

However, I'm in alignment in thinking like you - that this could be genetic related and nothing too major to be concerned with.  Especially when you read this entire thread when many people are finding test results to be quite normal.

Thanks again for adding constructive thoughts to this topic!

I was visiting my mom yesterday and noticed her short term memory was worsening, but in a way, I brushed it off as her being a bit paranoid, as she knows she suffers from short term memory loss.  It appears that she gives up too quickly on thinking, as in, if she doesn't know the answer the second you ask it, she quickly says, "I don't know." instead of taking a second or two to think about it.  Her I don't know's seems to be a crutch, a quick and easy escape so she doesn't have to think.  She often gets very confused and is very thin, but that could be genetics as she is getting older (63 yrs), and is VERY active.

During our visit, she had me feel 2 indented spots on her head.  They were so pronounced that I was glad I was out of her view so she couldn't see the initial shock on my face.  The spots aren't tender and I think I remember feeling hair there, but I don't know now, I think I was too horrified to pay attention to that...she has long hair.  

She lives off grid and is always bumping her head because of how active she is.  I know she drinks plenty of milk, or always has in the past, but the Vit. D. Defiency is interesting.  If I can get her to see a doctor, I'd be much more relaxed about all of this.  

All your posts have lessened my worries, but  won't be fully relaxed until she sees a doctor.  Thank you all so much for your posts and updates.
Hey there! Been reading all of your comments
And I too have an indent on the top of my head!
Pretty sure its always been there but I am wondering
Why its there and if it has or will affect my brain?
I am thinking my soft spot never fully hardened
As a baby.
I have the same thing, feels like a bruise and there's an indention, also have had it on other side. I have low vitamin d, b12, and just found out my iron is low but I haven't mentioned the indention yet to doc, was thinking it was just my imagination that I had it until I read some post here. Has anyone found out yet what causes this?
My daughter is severly disabled with a siezure disorder when she was about 12 she had 3 indentation on the top side of her head one above the other. When she had many siezures the indents moved from front to back a liitle again she had siezures and they moved lower. Now at 22 years of age they are on the side a little higher deeper indentations. Her doctor said it was normal and had to be there all the time NOT!! Her hair dresser even stated they were not there before.
The indentations are 3inches long.
I also realised I have a dent in my head that has appeared over night!!!!  On the right hand side right where my sunglasses would sit.. but not on the left side.. yet... lol  I get barely any sunlight compared to 6-12 months ago due to my job..  I often feel tired and over the past month have had a sore neck.  I sit in a office chair all day and don't have the best posture.  So I started getting pain in my neck one month ago.. one week ago I turned my neck sharply and got a sharp shooting pain from my neck running up to the top of my head.  Ever since than I have had mild dull headache sort of pain where the shooting pain finished in the top of my head.  Now this dent has appeared.  I don't know if they are linked or not but I will be going to the doctor on Monday.  I will also get my Vit D levels checked.!!
Sounds to me like a Chiropractor can help those symptoms you spoke of.  They have helped me out immensely!!  But it sounds as if you may have messed up your Atlas due to your job (which is your neck area).  And if you sit at your job, with not so good posture, I would wager that your entire vertebrae needs some adjusting too.

Have you ever seen a Chiropractor before?  I'm not too too concerned anymore about the indentation in my skull.  It doesn't sound like something too serious.

I appreciate the posts that have been added ever since I posted mine.

Love and good health to all!!
I've had an indentation for about 7 years now. It started out the size of a dime just a bit deep. Nothing that concerned me. I told my Dr one year and he sent me out for a catscan and nothing came up. My blood work was normal. I have been suffering from headaches all these years, and now lately dizziness. My eye balls even twitch. Sounds crazy, I know. The indentation has since become 2 1/2 inches in length and very deep. I Google (indentation on top of head) because my daughter who is 14 is suffering from head aches and when I was massaging her head I notice she too has it. I am scared and now I plan on doing something about it. I fear for her and me because I never had this it was until recent years. My daughter is only 14. Oh and I had her blood work done. She is healthy. I will certainly keep my post up as I visit Dr.s..Best of luck to everyone. I am SO glad we are not alone.
Well after reading all the comments made about the Indentations I was so worried also because about 3 years ago I was put on Blood Pressure Medication, bad head aches stopped and the nose bleeds. but then came the degenerate dis disease . well now about a few weeks ago I discovered the Indentation on my right side of skull with large and deep indentation. I don't have money for MRI's and Scan's I was thinking also it may be dehydration , I have lost about 46 lbs. since I started taking medication's for the body aches and blood pressure, I eat anything I want but have lost quite a but of inches could be because of dehydration. caused this I feel much better after reading others have gone through almost the same thing, I'm 64 and just thought it may be because of my age. thanks
Well after reading all the comments made about the Indentations I was so worried also because about 3 years ago I was put on Blood Pressure Medication, bad head aches stopped and the nose bleeds. but then came the degenerate dis disease . well now about a few weeks ago I discovered the Indentation on my right side of skull with large and deep indentation. I don't have money for MRI's and Scan's I was thinking also it may be dehydration , I have lost about 46 lbs. since I started taking medication's for the body aches and blood pressure, I eat anything I want but have lost quite a bit of inches could be, because of dehydration caused this? I feel much better after reading others have gone through almost the same thing, I'm 64 and just thought it may be due to my age. thanks
I'm a 17 year old female and recently I've shaved my head due to servere chemical damage to my scalp. Anywhoo after doing soo I to discovered this abmormal deformed indemtion in my head as if somehome clubed me with a tennis ball weighing about 25 pounds. Its on the top towards the back. Very tender. Very itchy. I have no idea how I have never noticed it, but it is very noticable. Its so fustrating and I'm going to the doc for further investigation
Let me ask all of you this question how many of you are add or adhd????
I am 20 years old.  I discovered mine about a month ago.  Mine is very warm to the touch for some reason, so I was wondering if anyone else has discovered that.
Hello, I am a 24 yo mixed male (blk, french, indian) and i noticed a small indention at the top back corner of my head. I immediately began to look it up online and came across this very interesting forum. I joked with a couple of my friends that maybe I was abducted by aliens and i just don't remember lol...(I pray that wasn't it...) but i actually discovered it's an indention from wearing my headset at work in the same place on my head EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK! I feel this is where MY indention comes from. My headset fits perfectly into it. Other than that, i have typical areas of my skull that are not as reinforced as others but any doc can tell you that everyone has thicker parts of their skulls in some areas. Stress could be causing the headaches some of you all speak of, i noticed some said they began headaches around the time of losing a job. Just stay healthy people. I pray it is not as serious as we all think. Be careful and take care of yourselves.

With Love and Care,

Rashad
Thank you so very VERY much, Rashad, for your post AND your encouraging words.  I too don't feel that it's anything to be concerned about.  I DO suffer from Migraines but since going to a Chiropractor they have been reduced to a minimal now.  

The one thing I've been experiencing as of late are (what I've found out by googling is) "Ice Pick Headaches.  They say most Migraine sufferers get these.  Although mine are where the indentation is on my skull.

"STRESS", isn't that So0o0o American?  And stress can cause so many ailments within the human body.  We ALL need to learn to loosen up, calm down, and quit living such a fast paste lifestyle.

I must say, I enjoyed reading your experience, Rashad.  And thanks for taking the time to write.  

Here's to YOUR health and MINE!!!
I am so happy to find this forum. Found 2 dents on my head today, right on the top on either side of my hairline kinda right where my sunglasses sit ALL the time. I took them off my head in horror today after I discovered the indents.  I will go to the doc tomorrow and get them checked out
Buddy,

You are SO very welcome. Thanks to you for YOUR encouraging words. I'm glad you took the time to see my point of view. And you hit the nail on the head lol Stress IS so American and we DO need to take the time to slow things down and ENJOY LIFE sometimes. There are so many pleasures and experiences that so many humans take for granted and others have yet to explore because they stress so much. You are awesome! Thanks again.

Nat,
That is exactly what I meant about my indention. Wearing my headset in the same place every day. I have since moved it and sometimes take it off my head in between calls and guess what?? NO MORE INDENTION!!! =) I said that to say, while i do NOT oppose to you going for a check up, I wouldn't worry too much about the indentions. We all need to stop stressing and consume more essentials to keep our bones strong.

Protein, potassium, calcium, fiber, anything else i missed and of course we all know, MILK DOES A BODY GOOD! MMM!!! =)

Rashad
You are so very kind.  Uplifting words alone have much healing to them.  I appreciate those who have taken the time to write.  I suspect that eventually most of the people on here have altered their settings to no longer receive updates.  Not sure how long I will keep mine.  But so far getting a message every now & then isn't THAT much of a bother.

One note:  I find it comical how we all just all of the sudden discovered this "indentation" in our heads.  We will never know, but I wonder how long we all had this indentation?!

I truly feel (in most instances) it is nothing to be concerned about; especially after finding and reading this post.  =  )  

God bless.  And thanks again, Muziqkidd, for taking time out to post another comment!!
I'm trying not to get too concerned here, but everyone who said they were going to the doctor and was going to get back to us, has not. Has anyone received an actual diagnosis? Or has anyone's situation IMPROVED?

I am a fairly healthy 32 year old woman who eats well, drinks lots of water, and works out regularly. Last week I woke from a deep sleep with the most painful headache I ever had. The next morning, I continued to get pains through various parts of my head. That is when I noticed my indentation (soft spot) at my crown (where one side of my sunglasses [used to] sit). At this time it's only 1.5" long and .25" wide. It too, is tender to the touch and is causing tingling sensations. Let me just say...I'm very perceptive to my body and NO it has NOT always been there. I have many of the same symptoms noted in previous posts. But am trying not to let hypochondria get the best of me.

Now, here's the thing...I was suffering from a sinus cold at the time and am still battling with seasonal allergies and the "draining" of the cold. Through research, I've found that the swelling and draining of fluids from the sinus area can very well be the cause of this. It tends to be more tender and deeper in the morning when I wake, then hardend up throughout the day. I have found what seems to be reasonable explanations for this, but nothing solid. I cannot afford to run a bunch of tests right now, so I'm just trying to keep a record of my symptoms and have some solid information before pursuing anything. Any new updates?

Thanks.

I've had this problem for years off and on.  At first I was very alarmed when I felt a deep indention in my skull.  For me, it is caused by chronic dehydration.  I've since been hospitalized for dehydration and each time I am put on an IV and pumped with fluids the indention goes away.  I must then drink at least 2 to 3 quarts of water a day to keep hydrated.  Much like an infant, when dehydrated, the fontanelle sinks in.  For me, the lines where my skull formed together and just common irregularities are sunken in, and at times, bumpy in some spots.  It can also be tender at times.  I have lost hair a couple of times.  Always grows back.  If you look up the symptoms for dehydration, some people experience hair loss, headaches, flank pain (kidneys) and a multitude of other things.  For me personally, I get terrible headaches, awful kidney pain, a little dizzy and nauseous at times, and my hair becomes very brittle.  Once you start to experience these symptoms you are likely quite dehydrated already.  Dehydration can be a very serious condition.  Always good to drink enough fluids just to be on the safe side.
Thanks for taking time to give us all your feedback!!!  Much obliged.  And I wish you well.

Sunshine Girl~
im 14 and i have a indentation on my head, anybody know what i should do?
I looked this up because I discovered an indentation in my head a few weeks ago.  I have no pain or headaches that I can conclusively say are related.  I am a 50 yr old female and very healthy for my age.  As everyone agrees; this is new for me.  I would have noticed this indentation had I "always had it".  If I poke and prod it does get sensitive but otherwise I don't even think about it unless I rub or scratch the area.  I live in the deep South so we have a lot of little biting "sand fleas" that love to bite the top of the head.
Most of the conversations here seem to be from people who are much younger than me, but I just have to ask anyway...I have thinning hair and started using Nioxin hair products a few months ago.  Has anyone else on this site been using this hair product?  It's the only change in my routine and I had a physical a month or two ago and all of my bloodwork was fine.  And, btw, I've had osteoporosis for several years so I am not buying this calcium deficiency some doctors seem to be attributing this to.
Hey James,

Thanks for joining this post.  You really ought to read the entire thread.  There are so many different perspectives.

Sunshine Girl~
Hello to you and thanks for taking the time to write about your situation.  I would like to let you know that I am in my 50's and not as young like some of the others on here.  So take heart, I too am considered in good health and just one evening I was rubbing my head and noticed mine.

However, after reading this entire thread, I have come to my own conclusion that it's nothing to be seriously concerned about or get worked up about.  

I wish you well and good health.

Sunshine Girl~
OK so im 12 no no no wait im 13 lol forgot for a second there but a while ago I found there was an indent in my head on the top right side of my scalp. It creeps Me out im not sure Wht it is so I put it off and told my mom but today I found another indent near the back left side of my scalp m so my mom is calling the doctor and I'm doing research on it I can't find anything cause they don't get bigger they just sit there on my head they are sensitive but they dont exactlly hurt they just worry me I need to know so I don't have to worry does any one know Why they are? :\
i recently just got out of the hospital, and during my time in there i began to feel my head . i don't think I am crazy or that i have had indentations on my head all my life. i tried to explain to them what i was feeling but i think they figured it was part reason for why i was in the hospital in the first place. i had gotten a staph infection on my forehead and thought maybe it had gotten into the first layer of my head and just spread through out leaving small bumps and indentations all over my skull. once again i cant be sure as to what was there before i got into the hospital and what was normal after i got out. Everyone seems to be saying it has to do a lot with taking them vitamins, and truly i think it might be the answer. On top of the indents does any one get low pain on their head that travel to the top. ??? the indents don't hurt to the touch but idk if it is what is giving me a headache at times.
I am in no way trying to discount anyone else's troubles, but I found a very simple answer for my particular problem.  I, too, felt an indentation on the top of my head, aprpoximately an inch & a half from the front of my hairline.  I googled "indentation on top of my head" and came across several forums, including this one.
It dawned on me that I CONSTANTLY have my reading/long-distance/sun - glasses on the top of my head.  Sure enough, when I put my reading glasses on the 2 indentations are exactly where the nose pieces of my glasses rest on my head.
I'm still going to mention it to my doctor at an appointment I have next week - specifically, is it normal for the scalp to be soft enough for this to be happening.  I enjoy salt too much, and I have a feeling that the scalp is no different from the rest of the body in that sometimes more fluid is visible than other times.
Just my two cents - I can't be the only one with the same explanation.
Obviously, this will be no help to those of you with indentations on other parts of your head,  or those experiencing pain (although I do have chronic neck pain and tension headaches).
Thank you everyone who's been posting. A lot of our theories seem to make sense. It's very reassuring to know that others have the same concerns. As posted previously, I discovered mine a month ago. Since then, the solidity has changed slightly, but it's still there. My sinus cold and allergy symptoms are gone. So perhaps vitamins/nutrition may have something to do with it.  I'm not staying as structured with my diet as I should be lately or maybe it is an underlying symptom of another condition. At this time...whatever it is doesn't seem to fatal. Perhaps it's something that never goes away? All I know is that it's there and I will continue to keep it on my mind and try not get too worried about it. (As we all know stress is enough to make us all feel like we're dying).  Good luck to all of you.
Hi, I am the one who originally posted this and I can't believe the response! wow there are so many of us with dents! I wanted to comment specifically about the parathyroid issue- It seems like the couple of people who have actually found possible causes this is it. I looked up the symptoms and I also have almost all of them! I will definitely be getting mine checked as soon as I get insurance again! My suggestion for those like me who have Vit. def. - mine are Vit. D, Vit. B12, and zinc, should get this tested. Since I originally posted I now also have high blood pressure which I have never had before last year, and seem to have more back and joint pain. Also for  those who have osteoporosis, it can be caused by a parathyroid condition, so it would be a good idea to check it out. I hope that the two members that I mentioned above who said that they were getting the parathyroid surgery update on this post- I am very interested to see what the outcome is, and if their dent improved! If I end up going that route I will re-post and let you all know!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontanelle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleidocranial_dysostosis

I have the same thing and I have had it forever I assume.  I discovered it in my teens.  I can't believe all of these doctors don't know about such a common condition.  My doctor explained it to me that sometimes when the fontanelles of an infant's skull don't close or are late closing, it causes an indentation or soft spot in the skull.  It is nothing to worry about.  I also found this link on what I think is the technical name of the genetic condition.  Note that you don't have to have all of the genetic symptoms listed to qualify (I don't have the collar bone issue, but I did have the condition with the baby teeth that never came out.)  Incidentally, I very rarely get headaches, so I assume that anyone with this condition who thinks the headaches are related, I would doubt it, but you never know.  Anyhow, I am really glad to hear that I am not the only one out there with a "dent" in my head!  lol
I did a little more research on the cleidocranial dysostosis and I may be off based on that line of thinking, but I wonder if maybe I have it, but I only show mild symptoms of it (indent and baby teeth) because I don't have any other characteristics.  It may just be as simple as what my doctor said and our fontanelles closed late (or never closed) and left us this dent!  Anyhow, I think it is pretty safe to say it is common and pretty benign at any rate!
One more thing about the indent changing sizes, I also read that in infants a sunken fontanelle is a sign of dehydration (like some others have suggested.)  My theory is that maybe if our fontanelles are still open (like an infant) we are experiencing the same symptom if we are dehydrated.  The really good thing for all of us to note is that it is when the fontanelles are bulging that you have to worryl (pressure on the brain.)
Just to clarify that many of us know that their dents just occurred within a recent period of time. (haven't been there since infancy or childhood) so the fontanelle is not plausable for many of us as a probable cause. I know from personal experience that although mine is in that same area ( and is not where any sunglasses or anything would sit) and is where a baby's soft spot would be, I only got mine a few months before my first post. And for many of us they are large enough that there is no way possible for us to not have noticed them within a short period of time. I personally have also had tests done such as MRI and CT scans that show that this is not a bone thinning or not closing, for mine it is that for some reason the bone dips in there, which the neurosurgeon had never seen before. I can't speak for everyone else, but in my case the sunglasses or fontanelle is not an answer for me. I still hope for answers for all of us! Thanks for commenting!
WOW!  I cannot believe that you, Lynn, are still subscribed to this thread after all this time (since April 2008).  When I would suspect that most people have come and gone since then.

I am thankful that you started this thread!!  And I too feel the same as you, Nancy, since I too don't share the same backgrounds as many others i.e. sunglasses, baby soft spot, etc. etc.

I'm still thinking that it's nothing to get all worked up about (in my case that is).  But I am still subscribed to this thread and reading everyone's comments.  It's quite educational!

I am in my early 50's and for the past 4+ years have made some radical transformations to my husband and my diets.  We both thought we were doing pretty well eating healthfully.  But since my own mother's decline in health; it forced me to do much digging!  And boy, have I learned a LOT in the past 4+ years.  And I have vowed to not end up just like here.  And here I thought I was doing pretty darn good.

My husband and I are now into eating Green Smoothies, and fresh juicing, and eating as fresh as we can.  [Mind you we still eat a good ol Rib Eye steak and consume dairy products too.]  But I must say it's transformed our lives just making Green Smoothies and fresh juice.   We have both lost some extra pounds (naturally) and have tons of energy, and feel 100% better!!  And the more we eat this way the less we are craving the junk foods, greasy foods, coffee, fatty foods, and sugars (which feed cancer cells), etc. etc.  

Currently I am reading an intriguing New York Time's Best Seller book by Jordan Rubin named: "The Maker's Diet".  (Hence meaning our Creator - God's Diet.)  This young man was on his death bed with what was deemed "thee worst case of Crohn's Disease ever seen by man".  You should see his before and after pictures.  He sought 70 different Specialists across the world who couldn't help him and sent him home to die!!!!

Ya want to know what happened to him?  He healed himself with God's diet!!  It's an incredible testimonial.  If anyone is interested is seeing a short clip about him I will post the link just below.  But in the end, God has called him to start a business.  And he plans to change the world one person at a time.

Did y'all know that:

-  USDA organic standards stipulates that “grass-fed” cattle only have to have a diet that consists of 30% grass.
    -  To be labeled grass-fed or range-fed, cattle only have to roam free to forage 30% of the time.
    -  Jordan Rubin’s company, Beyond Organic cattle are 100% “GreenFed”.
    GreenFed means the cattle forage on grasses, forbs, legumes and herbs while roaming free 100% of the time.
    -  GreenFed meats and dairy products are rich with probiotics, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, omega 3 fatty acids and CLA.
    -  Additionally, they are producing a line of botanically infused spring waters, which you can find out about when you sign up to become a Beyond Organic Insider.

So as you can see we are not talking about a vegetarian diet here.

Jordan will be launching his company this fall.  And you all can secure your spot right here and right now.  Just by going to the link and putting in the Enroller # 22,800 with my name Sandra Hoos, you will be securing your position to not only enable you to get access to healthy and quality foods.  But when you introduce this opportunity to others you will be able to make some extra money.  Extra money that can pay for your own purchases and also have some money on the side to pay for bills or a vacation that you've always wanted to do.  The skies the limit here folks.  This is gonna be huge!!!  And if you just sign up now, you are getting in at the very beginning of an incredible opportunity!

You can contact me here if you wish to hear more.  But if you just wish to check out Jordan's new company he is launching soon here are a few links to hear more.

Until then, I wish you ALL Good health and prosperity!!  God Bless.

www.beyondorganicinsider.com/becomeaninsider.aspx?enroller=22,800

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VbqowMKM2A

From,
Sandy
I've had an indentation on the top of my head near the back in the center and Im only fourteen I noticed it two years ago when I was twelve . My mom just said I was specially marked by god but my dad said he'd bring me to the doctor but he never got to it. My dent has expanded and it's softer than usual.. It hasn't affected me in anyway but I fear it causing my health to decline even more.. I have asthma and I have sharp pains before I have a bowel movement . My eyes sometimes black out on me fir a few seconds and idk what's wrong with me. I feel like the deflicted one in the family cause everything odd or bad that runs in the family I seem to catch it.
I just found the same thing (indent on head). Any update on your situation???
SO I to have a dent and most of the symptoms. I have been low in vit D before and take a B12 shot. Having a Cat Scan Monday but you all have made me feel much better. Thank you for sharing your stories.
Thanks you 2 for taking time to post a comment.  And Kritters, let us know the results of your Cat Scan, will you?

Sunshine Girl~
aka: Sandy
Oops!  Sorry, I meant to write my post to Kritters and Kelam and not Kritters and Lynn.  Excuse my mistake!

Sunshine Girl~
Hey paul ! I have the same thing and I do not remember hitting my head at all.. I have had some memory loss of my childhood lately.. The indent it very noticable when I am touching it. It is at the top left side of my head near the back. Plz help !
P.s : I'm only 16 years old
Great blog... I have been doing a bit of research myself and would love to turn you all on to two amazing resources when it comes to nutrition and health of the body and brain.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman and his amazing research is an MD who has treated thousands of patients with incredible results, review his book: "Eat to Live".  You can reverse disease, reduce high blood pressure, lose unwanted weight, lower your cholesterol levels, prevent heart disease and cancer, and improve your health - all without relying on drugs and fad diets. The importance of good nutrition is emphasized in Dr. Fuhrman's dietary program, Eat To Live.

Thee is also one of my clients Dr. Amen: Amen Clinics, Inc. specializes in brain health, innovative neuroscience research, diagnosis and treatment for a wide variety of neuropsychiatric, behavioral and learning problems in children, teenagers and adults. Established in 1989 by Daniel Amen, M.D., the center has an international reputation for utilizing brain SPECT scan imaging for a wide variety of neuropsychiatric problems, including ADD, anxiety, depression, autism and memory problems. Our philosophy at the Amen Clinics is simple: change your brain, change your life.
Great comment!  Thanks for taking time to write.

Sandy
i found my dent two nights ago, went online and was referred to PAGETS disease. i feel a lot better after reading all your stories. tomorrow i will ask my doc about vit d. i have just started vit c cos of osteo. diagnosis. i also take meds for under active thyroid. i am also a diabetic, i read recently that some diabetic drugs leach vit c from bones. i just want to warn you about taking extra vits. that your body does not need, can lead to toxic poisoning (see zinc poisoning from fixadent/polygrip nasty!) off now to drink a pint of milk and chuck out my sun glasses! good luck everyone! annie c.
I too have found two dents along the front of my head.  I also call them my ditches.... :)  They are about 4-5 inches long and about 1/4" deep.  And no, I have not had them before the past few weeks.  I too have suffered from migraines for years and anemia and various other illnesses that have been unexplained.  I am seeing a doctor about these today and will hopefully be on the path to piecing some of this together.  Someone suggested Celiac Disease to me the other day.  Made some sense, but not so sure.  Would explain a great deal.  I'll keep you posted.  
I noticed that a had a dent a while back.  It really freaked me out for months.  I finally realized one day that it conforms perfectly to the headset I wear at work.  I guess after a a long enough time it just created an impression in my head.
hi everyone,i have the same thing as you all,i have a dent on top of my head,but i remember it since i was 6 years old,but now i have paint on it,it is soft and i can not touch it,i am 23 year old female,i should go te the doc. i am so scared,anyone help me with any response?
Ok me too me too.  I am 55 years old and for the last two months have noticed the dents in my head.  Two sort of towards the front.  I'm pretty healthy, get check ups every 6 months with bloodwork and everything is normal.  I feel like a bowling ball.....missing the thumb position!!Thank goodness.  If anyone finds out anything...please post
I have the exact same thing as Nikkigirl1995. I have two symmetrical dents at the top front of my skull about an inch back from my hairline. They are separated by a "bridge." I remember feeling one about two years ago, on the left side and then eventually two. They are about the same size as the tips of my fingers when I press them. My med. history: I am 40 years old and in pretty good health. I do get headaches on occasion, but don't feel any pain in that area. I had a migraine headache once about 12 years ago where my vision blurred after surfing in the AM and tennis in the PM, but I was told it was from sun glare and never got another one. About 5 years ago, my doc suggested taking Vit. D, but did not say I was deficient. I wear sunglasses on top of my head nearly every day. I also had a concussion about 4 years ago. I've had Lasik surgery. Take Ambien when I travel. Took Accutane 17 years ago. No idea what caused it, but am happy to know that there are others with the exact same sounding thing! ...and around the same ages...30's-50's? Since you can tell the approximate age of person from their bones, maybe it is just normal aging of the bones? I'm look forward to hearing results from others with the same symptom as mine! ...not too keen on getting a bunch of tests but will if necessary. If there are so many of us, crazy that doctor's don't know what it is! Makes you wonder if it's a modern, environmental cause. Feel free to message me!
  Annie our milk is poison !!! Not helping you at all !
   Most of you have the worst western diets and education towards nutrition and of course the meat and dairy indst. made sure to brainwash us all growing up. Sad fact is most of the foods you eat are processed and offer you nothing but calories or chemicals. Don't even get me started on microwaved meals ! lol  I exercise and diet and eat organic food now for 10 or more years. I have developed the same thing and a small bald patch around the spot and have to ask ...WHAT KIND of cell phones does everyone use ? and for how many hrs ? I recently picked up an iphone and 3 weeks of use later noticed a brand new spot at the back like most are finding. I know it is new because I have been shaving my head bald since i was in my 20's and am now 41. Radiation anyone ?
   Annie our milk is poison and not helping you !
   Most of you have the worst western diets and education towards nutrition and of course the meat and dairy indst. made sure to brainwash us all growing up. Sad fact is most of the foods you eat are processed and offer you nothing but calories or chemicals.
I exercise and diet and eat organic food now for 10 or more years. I have developed the same thing and a small bald patch around the spot and have to ask ...WHAT KIND of cell phones does everyone use ? and for how many hrs ?
This is bizarre...like X files bizarre! I found a dent in my head when I was in my mid thirties also. It's in the top back left side of my skull. It was sensitive to the touch though not accompanied by headaches or anything else. I was stunned to find it suddenly there, as if overnight. And I don't have any vitamin deficiencies. I skimmed this whole page astounded that so many people have this seemingly anomalous experience and there's no definitive information about it. The only similarity I've read so far has to do with the fact that I've been meditating for years. For me, the mystery deepens. Thank you all for everything you've posted. Incidentally, I eat healthy and don't use microwaves or cell phones.
My husband has discovered a dent in the top of his head about in the center a couple of weeks ago. He has said it is tender to touch. He has had a few bouts of shooting pains from it to his ear. Today I was looking at it and it seems to have gotten bigger. This spot has just appeared cause I cut his hair and I would of noticed since he is bald on the top. He is 35 yrs. old. This is just odd that so many people have the same thing going on. I think he needs to go have it checked to be on the safe side.
I'm 27. All my symptoms appeared after having a 24 hour virus. 1 night my throat was swollen and my head felt stuffed. Then I had a burning sensation in my forehead. Found out I had a cyst in my thyroibut nothing as far as my head. Had an MRI because I felt pressure at the temples, pain n certain spots, pressure n certain spots,, and still nothing. I recently told them about the dents and he said we wouldn't worry about that the MRI is the best test I
could get and it came back normal.  I too had a vitamin d deficiency and wonder if that's it. I now have pain in the areas on the left side of my head where I have 2 dents and I guess muscle tension or spasms at the temples. Not to mention a bad case of anxiety now!
Has anyone found out anything from their doctors??
I noticed my dent a few months ago. My husband says maybe it's always been there. I do my hair daily..I think I would know if this has been there. I just noticed over the weekend a 2nd dent beside this one. They are both in the top of my head. This is scary!! I think I'm even more afraid to go to the doctor.
I am 55 years old and JUST discovered an indentation in my scalp that corresponds to the location of the chin strap I wear at night for sleep apnea.  I NEVER had an indentation prior.  I am going to seek both medical advice plus prayer (I believe in the power of prayer!)
i am 32 and have felt large indentations on my head for over a month now, and now i think i know why, i wear my sunglasses all day, and most of the time they are on my head like a hair band, i dont even buy the ones that have nose grips as they will catch in my hair, this i really belive is giving headachs and just uncomfortableness (is that even a word?) to my head, EVERYONE STOP PUTTING GLASSES ON YOUR HEAD! and if you dont good luck with your head hope its not to serious xxxxxxx
I wondered about sunglasses, I wear them A LOT also. But the dent is going long ways on my head not sideways...what about yours? I went to my doc last week and he was out so I seen a nurse practicioner and of course, she had never seen anything like it and asked me to reschedule with my doctor.
i have the same thing, an indentation on the crown of my head, and it's very tender to the touch.  The inside of the dent doesn't hurt as much as the part around the dent.  It's like a sharp part? i don't know how to explain it.
It hurts a lot, it hurts right now, and i'm deffinetly going to have my mom make a doctors appointment for me. i'm 15. and my mom has a little dent, not as big as mine, and my sister does as well.
I don't know if it's something inherited? but whatever it is, it hurts a LOT.
I've also been having headaches a lot. I wounder if that has anything to do with it?
If you have pain, I would definately get that checked out ASAP. I have 2 dents but have no pain with either, I do suffer from migraines and have my whole life. I'm procrastinating making another appt with my doctor.
I have the same problem. I went to bed one night and woke up the next morning with an indent in my head. Mine starts in the front middle and goes to the top of my head, I suffer from cronic (chronic) head aches. I too went to the doctors, had an MRI done. Nothing. My doctor said she had never seen anything like it before. It has been almost a year and yesterday I woke up with another one! This one is to the left of the first one. Same thing, a straight line from the front hair line to the top of the head. Tender to the touch but not painful. Had a headache the day before.
Christy, sounds like mine are in the same area as yours. What do you take for your migraines? Does it seem like the dents are deeper sometimes? Like today, the smaller one to the left of my 1st one, I can barely feel...now tomorrow it will probably be deeper.
Just stumbled to this site by googling "dent in skull", anyways I too have a dent in my skull and its been there for as long as i can remember. I know i wasent born with it, according to my mom it formed around my first birthdate. although my dent is bone hard and i've never had any pain in it or around it. Im 25 year old now and i dont think its going away, im now looking for a cosmetic sergery (surgery) to "fix it". A metal plate underneath the skin covering the dent or maybe the doctors can fill it up with bondo or something.
This is really strange that so many people have these indentions in their skulls and not know where they come from. As for me I know where mine came from. When I was a young child probably between pre-k and kinder, I was hit in the head with a basket ball and it cracked my skull/head at the very top. My hair is thin immediately behind it where it use to grow wildly even after the accident. So I don't think I will blame that on the incident I think that is hereditary from dad's side. My concern is the super tenderness. It feels like if I touch my hair there that it will just come right out. It hurts so much. This has only happened maybe a couple of times before in my life. I am now 40.  I really wish someone could tell me what the cause for this sensitivity is since I am unemployed now and now have no insurance.  It freaks me out but I don't want to make a huge hospital bill if it something like a lack vitamin issue or something. HELP!
I have a relatively small head... What may be the reason for it ... I had fallen pretty badly when i was around 7yrs old .. Is that the reason
I too have found a small dent in the front of my head, its about an 1inch long and 1/4 inch wide and slowly getting bigger, i'm suffering from headache every day and i'm getting very forgetful. I'm just waiting to go for a cat scan to rule out tumours which after reading some of your comments i believe they wont find anything the same as they didn't with yours which is making me more nervous as to what it might be.. i fell when i was about 8/9 years old but that was on the back of my head and not the front.
Hello, I have a 22 year old son that just had a cat scan and the Dr's are stumped. I have been surfing the net trying to find some answers. He just developed the indentations over the last two or three months. We would like to be filled in on anything we can get. They are trying to say they are cysts. But I have never seen a cyst that indents.
Hi! everyone
My 12 year daughter noticed she had one indentation on the top back of her head it's very noticeable when you run your fingers trough her hair. She tells me the area feels sore and can feel itchy like sore muscles. She's been experiencing daily headaches for the past 4 days, so severe that tylenol does not work and Advil will calm the pain but then it returns after the effects of the medication wears off. I started to freak out but after reading this I'm no sure if I should be so concerned. I will see how she is in the next few days and might bring her for further testing. My insurance ***** so I'm trying not to have unecessary testing. Please keep me posted. Thank you!
Hi madaline, not too many people have posted the outcome of their indentions. I had went to the doctor because I was sick. I seen the nurse practicioner that day and showed them to her and of course she had never seen anything like that. SO I am procrastinating on making another appt. with my doc.  I have noticed since I read a post from another person on here about wearing glasses on their head that my dents are not so deep now that I stopped wearing my eye and sunglasses on my head. the newest smaller dent is almost non existent. However, my dents go up and down on the top of my head, you would think that if it were from sunglasses the dents would be across the top of my head.
Viewing 1-200 comments: