Neurology Expert Forum
Infant Seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Infant Seizures

My son is a seemingly healthy 8 month old with normal development.  Recently I noticed he is experiencing what I think are seizures.  He shakes involuntarily two or three times in a row.  The shaking episodes almost resemble a shiver, but last longer.  He doesn't seem upset or hurt by them, although I am freaking out.  He does appear slightly dazed after the episodes, although it is hard to tell because he is so young.  He was born at term, 6#6oz and is now around 22# (so he is growing like a weed).  The only other medical condition he has ever exhibited is that he is a chronic "spitter-upper".  They have noticed his "shaking" episodes in daycare as well and asked me what I thought they were.  Does this sound like a seizure to you?
Distinguishing between real seizures and non-epileptic events is a common problem we see in the peds dept. Glad that your son is healthy and developing normally other than these episodes.  It's possible he may be experiencing what's called myoclonic jerks (a type of generalized seizure) as you say he looks dazed afterwards and the shaking seem to be longer than just a shiver. Hard to know without seeing it myself, but it does deserve further workup. Get a pediatric neuro consult and a routine EEG. Video EEG monitoring to capture these events would also be helpful as well a brain MRI.  I would have to recommend an epilepsy center (such as the one we have here) as infant EEGs are difficult to read and would be best done by a pediatric epileptologist. As long as he seems to be growing normally and meeting all of his developmental milestones on time, there's no need to panic right now.  If it does turn out to be real seizures, there are treatment options for your son. Talk to your peds doc and they should be able to start you off in the right direction. Best of luck.
Nanner,
Your son's movements sound similar to a movement my daughter had.  She has paroxysmal dyskinesia, a movement disorder.  It started when she was 5.5 months.  If you would like to email me, we can talk more ***@****.
Megan
I am a mother of 3 children, each one has an extended cold siver,
it only happen once a day or so.  It is just after they urinated.
I hope this is your childs reason. Best regards.
Hi Everyone,
I've been looking over certain topics that are related 2 my son's disease,trying 2 learn new things,& also trying 2 find out more about my neck injury I recieved in a car accident .Anyway,I agree /w/the Dr's comment about yer' grandson's condition.I also think,can tell you from personal experience that is def.a myoclonic jerk .Jason has Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy & has them all day long& even when he's sleeping.He use 2 be on klonopin after his eeg but it makes x tra slobber on top of slobbering from the disease & when he got pneumonia his neuro;Dr. Varma said no more!Now we just deal /w/ them the best that we can. I know you posted this along time ago, butI wish your family al the best & hope yer' granson is doing much better. If anyone would like to know more about my little man,my "mito kid" he has his own site ;http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/nels7822./ He also has a pg.on umdf.org. Thanks for letting me share /w/you all.
Sorry 4 repeatingly saying grandson,my neck&head are killing me!I guess /w/the name Nanner,I was thinkin' gramma had written in.
<p>
I apologize.Best of luck!
My son is 7 months old and a few weeks ago he has started what the doctors are calling seizures.  It sounds a lot like what your child is experiencing.  He will convulse which looks like a shiver that will last a minute and then he will be incoherent for about a minute or so afterwards.  He isn't hurt by them either.  The strange thing I found though is that he was a normal tern baby and was 7lbs at birth.  He is now 21lbs at 7 months, and wearing 12-18 month old clothing.  He also is a "chronic-spitter upper" and he was put on lactose free formula for his throwing up.  It sounds almost the same.  We are goingt to a pediatric neurologist and he will have a eeg and a mri done to see what is wrong.  Please email me at ***@**** if you would like to know more.  Good Luck too!!
A related discussion, seizures was started.
A related discussion, I am going crazy was started.