Neurology Expert Forum
Joint and leg pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Joint and leg pain

I am a 44 year old female with hypothyroidism and sciatica.  I have severe joint pain in my hands and feet. It is so bad that it will wake me up at night when I move.  Also, when I get up I have to be careful because it hurts to move.  It has gotten to the point that my hands hurt all the time now and my feet burn.  I have pain going down my left leg from my lower back and it will cause cramps in my knees and hips.  I had a bone scan last year and all it showed was that I had mild scoliosis; so; I was diagnosed with sciatica and told it was probably worse due to stress.  I am wondering if either my hypothyroidism or sciatica could be causing all these symptoms?  I also have trouble getting up from a kneeling position, I have to climb out instead of just using my legs.  Sorry my post is so long.  Thank you for you assistance.
Dear Patti O:

Sorry that you are having such difficulties.  Even if you have hypothyroidism, you should be on replacement medication and subsequently euthyroid (normal free thyroid levels).  Hence, this should not be the cause of your problems.  What is the etiology of your sciatia?  Do you have rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, diabetes, etc.?  Sounds like you need to see a neurologist and get a full examination and some lab testing to begin to understand what the underlying disease is causing your symptoms.  There are many things that can cause your symptoms, but one needs to treat the underlying condition and not just the symptoms.  I do hope that you get to the bottom of things.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Untreated or not properly treated hypothyroidism can cause many of your symptoms. Go back to or see an endocrinologist!
Untreated or not properly treated hypothyroidism can cause many of your symptoms(excepting the sciatica). Go back to or see a a specialist in that area!
A related discussion, Leg and Joint pain was started.