MGUS and Feeling Achy, Painful Most Days
I am an African American woman, 47 years of age. I was recently diagnosed with MGUS and even though I understand that MGUS does not, according to most Doctors, present with any symptoms, I am not feeling any better-- I am achy most days, tired and bruised often. In addition, I have constant pain with my neck and trouble walking-- I feel as if arthritis is thoughout my body (e.g., most all joints)  but nothing has confirmed or not confirmed the former. I have seen a neurologist, rheumtologist and and oncologist-- The only findings to date include the followiing: mildly anemic carpal tunnel and some arthritis in my neck. My neurologist has intent of checking to ensure that I do not have a  pinched nerve in my neck but only after I have a bone scan. I received via my oncologist-- a bone survey--to my understanding different than a bone scan. I feel bad most days due to tingling and numbness, pain, etc,. Does anyone else out there with MGUS have similar symptoms?
Hi there.

As by strict definition, MGUS should not have any bone or joint problems causing these symptoms.  By the way you have described what you are experiencing, it is possible that you may be experiencing a fibromyalgia syndrome.

Fibromyalgias can cause all these types of pain that can be intensified by stress or anxiety.  The loss of good sleep also contributes to this pain syndrome, and some form of anti-depressant therapy is usually the first line of treatment.  Ask your doctors about this clinical entity, and possibly receive treatment.

It is still advised however, that you continue to monitor your MGUS for development of any new disease specific characteristics (such as bone lesions, blood component problems).

Regards.
Thank you for your input and sharing~ I know that something is a miss; therefore, when I see my GP later this week, I will ask him to send me to the proper doctor to be checked for Fibromyalgia. I thought that a rhuematologist would make such observations or dianosis but bascially my rhuematologist said, "you have a high M spike and you should go see an oncologist, Good Luck~"

I am scheduled to have a Total Body Scan this week and merely pray and hope that it does not reveal anymore negative things about my health, especially with respect to my spine and the MGUS and all-- but better to know than not.

Again thanks for answering my query-

Kind Regards,
mdwrites~
I am a 45 year old woman, I have cervical sponylosis and am recovering from a brain haemorrhage but have been diagnosed with MGUS.  My joints and muscles have been aching for a couple of years now, I have been seen by rheumatology and neurology also haematology but I don't have any other underlying conditions.  Some days I feel about 100 years old its so difficult.  I experience tingling in both hands.  It's horrible.  I feel your pain.  LM