Neurology Community
Meningiomas if untreated?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Meningiomas if untreated?

My mother 63yrs old is diagonsed with Meningioma and as of now her left side vision is comprised to some extent (not total loss). Rest of her function seems to be ok

The MRI report suggested as below.

Large, lobulated, extra-axial mass lesion filling upto the entire left cavernous sinus and encasing ipsilateral internal carotid artery. Mass effect and extension as described with hyperostosis of the underlying bones.

Now the Nuero Surgen is recomending a surgery and it cannt be done away with Gama Kinfe even as the size is big enough.

If we rule out the surgery option and leave it as is basis, what are the potential problems that can occur going forward as the tumor size increases? Is there any precedence or case studies available on untreated meningiomas
Hi there.

Meningiomas are benign conditions, however, the local effects of the tumor with increasing size can cause all of these symptoms.  For your mother's situation, I believe that leaving the tumor alone can in the future, result to further loss of vision and other problems in the brain.  This consequence is not automatic though, since the meningiomas may not increase in size after all.  The tumor may also compress the blood vessels draining some parts of the face and can cause swelling of the structures around the eyes.  I suggest you discuss the surgery option in depth with the surgeon, with the success rate and the risks of complications in mind.  I hope a good decision will be arrived at, and that everything will turn out fine.

Regards and God bless.
Hi Paul

Thanks soo much for your prompt guidance.

Regards
M. Kannan
my sis-in-law has had 7 of these types of tumours over the past 12 years,  she has had 2 removed but they are growing back.  She also has 1 that is at the brain stem, she is blind and can't walk.  the tumour is growing aggressively and they have given her 3 weeks to 3 months to live.  the docs says if they operate she will die and they can't give her another dose of radiotherapy.
Hi, I had a CT scan a few days ago becasuse I had tremors, and my foot went numb and I was very dizzy. The CT scan resulted in me having a 12 mm left frontal meningioma abutting the bone.

I will have an MRI tomorrow. Could you explain to me what kind of procedure I should have based on the location of the meningioma and would this be considered a benign tumor? Thank you so much.

A. Niedzwiecki
my mother has ameningoma with size of 8 cm  she lost her sight and show tremor and impairment of memory and doc told us that the surgury not be effectiveandthere is a high risk of paralysis and of high probability of death if left untreated what are other complication ?
My father was diagnosed two weeks ago with a 1-inch Meningioma tumor.  I am reading other posts about tumor in the mm sizes.  Is 1-inch unusual.  He is 79 yrs. old.
I am about to undergo Proton Beam Therapy to control/stop a right sphenoid wing and cavernous sinus meningioma (base of the skull). Proton Beam Therapy uses accelerated protons which pass through the healthy tissue and stop at the tumor. It has the benefit of sparing tissue beyond the tumor. It has some mild side effects but nothing even remotely resembling the risks of a craniotomy, etc, in my humble opinion, as an informed patient.

I wish all of you the best as you search for ways for your loved ones to get better. Perhaps this will help you too.

PS, My own research shows that some meningiomas do not progress and can be monitored without going forward with treatment. I think that should be considered when doctors present the results of surgical resection. Also, they can respond aggressively when there has been surgery. This is all from medical sources on the internet.