Neurology Community
Migraines?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Migraines?

Last week I began experiencing vertigo, the feeling of my body swaying.  Then I began having intese headaches, as if someone was squeezing my head, sometimes it's only on one side of the head and at other times it's on the sinus area.  The pain spreads to my neck and shoulders.  I feel almost 100% if I lie down, the headache remains but the vertigo doesn't, but once I begin walking the vertigo gets worse.  This past weekend I went into the ER because of the headache, an IV was placed on me with a combination of two meds, one for the vertigo and one for the migraine, the headache went away but 20 min after leaving the hospital I got the vertigo.  I usually get out of bed feeling normal and about 1 hour after moving around I get the vertigo and then the migraine.  I also get ringing in the ears.  I've had MRIs done of the head and cervical spine and it's all normal.  Several bloodwork has been done which is also normal.  Today it's so bad I can't even look straigt anymore, the sunlight makes the headache worse.  I had migraines in the past but not like this.  I wonder if this is migraine or something else.  If it's migraine, can it be causing the vertigo?
You have a Basilar migraine and a migraine related vertigo most probably .
The manifestations of migraine-associated vertigo are quite varied and may include episodic true vertigo, positional vertigo, constant imbalance, movement-associated dysequilibrium, and/or lightheadedness. Symptoms can occur prior to the onset of headache, during a headache, or, as is most common, during a headache-free interval. As such, many patients who experience migraines have vertigo or dizziness as the main symptom rather than headache. Basilar migraine, also known as Bickerstaff syndrome is an important variant of migraine with aura. Bickerstaff syndrome consists of 2 or more symptoms (ie, vertigo, tinnitus, decreased hearing, ataxia, dysarthria, visual symptoms in both hemifields of both eyes, diplopia, bilateral paresthesias or paresis, decreased level of consciousness) followed by a throbbing headache. Please consult a neurologist for the confirmation of diagnosis and management of the symptoms . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

It sounds like what I have.  Today I even vomitted, I don't know if this is because of the vertigo or migraine.  At first I had a stomach cramp (along with the headache and vertigo) and then I vomitted.  Ever since, I feel sick, as if I have the flu.  I'm waiting to see the neurologist for a checkup.  In the meantime, I'll see my regular doctor tomorrow.