Neurology Expert Forum
My tongue has be 'numb' for two days-what could cause this?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi! My tongue has felt numb for two days now. It's more like a "tingling" than numbness, because I can feel it (biting, etc). It feels like I burned it, without the pain. Could I have burned it and just don't remember? I do all the cooking (and tasting) around here! I seem to feel it more on the tip and it does look a little red.... If I burned it a few days ago, could I still be feeling it? Thanks!!!
This could represent a number of things depending on your clinical history and other associated symptoms. Certainly it could have been due to local trauma (like a minor burn) which should resolve in a day or two, especially with the redness. Another possibility is that it could be an infection called thrush if you're immunocompromised or taking lots of antibiotics. It can also be part of a neurological syndrome, but usually these are accompanied by other symptoms such as facial weakness or numbness, swallowing changes, throat pain, etc...Some systemic problems can also present this way, but again other symptoms are usually present. Finally, medications can sometimes can cause alteration of sensation such as antibiotics.

Give it a few more days.  If it gets worse or is accompanied by other symptoms, consider getting medical attention. Good luck.
I really don't know why this tingling happens, but, I have it as well.  The tip of my tongue and lower lip both get the "tingling" sensation.  Just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this.

Sunnygal
I have the same thing too. It comes and goes, but when it does happen it is the tip of my tongue and my lower lip. It doesn't affect anything, I am still able to eat and taste, and I don't lose any function of my lip.
I too have experienced this, it feels like the tongue has been burnt and there is a slight bitter taste although it does not affect the flavours of food.
I have also been suffering from a condition known as "Globus hysterica" which affects the throat but as yet I have had no real explanation of what causes it, these two things may possibly be connected.
Hey Susiedisney, sunnygal, Dhouston and kizzle;

I have the numb tongue also--it is only on the right side though, but mine is from the syndrome(well condition--but it has the condition also invovled--do you feel like you have had dental work done?  I also have problems when I sing, talk, and swallow also.  Are you maybe rubbing the end of your tongue on the back of your front teeth susiedisney since you can not feel the tongue?--it could explain the redness.  Nethertheless--my ENT has been a great help.  Hope you all get your answers.
A related discussion, numbness at tip of the tongue was started.
A related discussion, can all these symptoms be related to a neurology problem? was started.