Neurology Expert Forum
Myoclonic jerk and Hypnagogic jerk
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Myoclonic jerk and Hypnagogic jerk

-  What is the difference between and myoclonic jerk and a hypnagocic jerk?

-  For about 3 years now, just when I'm drifing off to sleep I experience a jerking sensation in my head or sometimes in my body.  Sometimes they are very intense, either-way the wake me, even when I'm try to take a nap.  I understand that everyone experinces these, but mine are repetitive. They keep coming.  They scare me because I am jolted awake again and again.  A couple of months ago I started to take a sleeping pill and it does help.  Also I experience tremors in my calves which do not bother me at night.

_  I have had a cat scan of my head and an EEG.  I also went to a sleep clinic but as luck would have it this sensation did not happen that particular night. I was told I sure do move around in my sleep and the dr. thought it was anxiety and depression.

-  About 30 years ago I sustained a head injury due to a car accident.  It affected my right frontal lobe above my eye where there is a build-up of scar tissue.

-  I would like your opinion as to why/how this all of a sudden started and also does it ever go away or how to manage it?

Thank you!