Neurology Expert Forum
Ocular Migrane(migraine)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ocular Migrane(migraine)

I have ocular migranes (migraines).  I may have one every day and last about 10 to 40 minutes.  Then I may go a few months without noticing any.  Sometimes I have 2 in one day.  There isn't anything I can do but wait them out.  Years ago an eye doctor recommended a medication for seizures.  I didn't go for it.  I have no pain.  At what point should I once again seek medical advice/treatment?  And what is the current treament?  How serious can this get?
True ocular or "retinal" migraines are associated with a transiently decreased blood supply to the eye, causing loss of vision in that eye which can last for minutes to hours. If the migraines are severe or happen rather frequently, there is a risk of permanent visual loss.  Although there is no effective treatment specific for this type of migraine, it is important for your docs to make sure that this isn't something else like a blocked artery in the neck or temporal arteritis which are portentially treatable. Follow closely with an ophthalmologist on perhaps a yearly basis to make sure the eye is ok.  Of course, if you do have significant visual changes or the episodes of visioj loss are longer, then consider seeing an eye doctor sooner rather than later. Preventively, you could consider medications like verapamil or nifedipine. Good luck.
Hi, I too have ocular migraines (not as frequently as you). I have had one come on while driving.  The last time I had one(Oct 2001)they came each day for a few days in a row, and I haven't had one since. The problem for me is the anxiety of not knowing when one might occur.  Do you feel somewhat confused and anxious during the attack?  My mother also has them and has related that she doesn't feel clear headed when she is having one.  Also, how distorted does your vision get?  My GP put me on the beta blocker Atenol (low dose)to prevent them.  Didn't stay on the meds but a few months.  I don't know anyone else that has these ocular episodes that is why I wanted to post a comment to your question.  I will be eagerly awaiting the doctor's reply to your questions.  Good Luck to you from a fellow migraine sufferer.
A related discussion, Occular Migranes (migraines) was started.