Neurology Community
One Pupil Dilated

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

One Pupil Dilated

I went to a Sleep Center yesterday for a sleep disorder, and the Dr. examining me noticed that my left pupil was dilated about twice the size of the right one.

He asked if anyone had told me that-and they haven't.  I have never noticed that to happen ever before in my life.

I asked what it meant, and he was rather dismissive and didn't seem to take it too seriously.  But he was interested enough to make his two residents look at my pupils.  (This was a University affiliated Medical Center, a teaching hospital).

He did tell me that if it was sudden onset, it could be something dangerous like a brain bleed or a stroke.  He rather offhandedly suggested I might want to tell my Dr. and have an MRI done.  But again, didn't seem overly concerned.

So naturally this scared me and I did research online.  Almost every case with my symptoms seems to indicate a ruptured Aneuryism or stroke.  But, some research did say it could be due to stress and sleep deprivation, both of which I had a great deal the last few days due to anxiety about this appointment.  But I noticed I was having a lot more physical anxiety than usual the night before and day of this appt. yesterday, and a great deal of confusion and trouble processing information.  I felt horrible.  My mind was very confused and perceptions distorted, as in physical anxiety being acute.

I am guessing it's probably more due to stress and sleep deprivation.  I tried a Lunesta the night before, and it only gave me 3 hours of sleep before causing so much anxiousness I couldn't sleep the rest of the night.  I later found out a great deal of the physical anxiety/confusion I have been experiencing is likely due to side effects from the Lunesta, as a lot of people have the same problems and it was noticeable compared to normal.

Should I be worried about the dilated pupil?  It's still there.  I am also having a really bad headache, but feels more like sinus but it's painful.  I am very dizzy, and eyes are extremely light sensitive all of a sudden.  I can't tell how much of this is stress/sleep deprivation and/or side effects from the Lunesta, which can cause similar symptoms.  My father currently has a bad head cold, and I figured I was catching it as some sort of URI or sinus thing.

Any ideas?  I did try calling my main Dr. to ask his opinion about the pupil, and whether I should check it out with a Neurologist but he never called me back yesterday.  I am leery about spending a lot of money on a Neurologist and  MRI without health insurance (2 to 3 grand maybe?) if it's not really necessary.  But the pupil is lasting a long time, since it was diagnosed this morning so I am wondering.  Also-the research said sometimes higher doses of antihistamine could cause one dilated pupil, and I did take two doses of Benedryl to sleep that night.  But it's never done this before and it wore off hours ago.

What should I do?  Just watch and see what happens?  If it were something as serious as a stroke or brain bleed, wouldn't I know by now?

Thanks for any help.
I work in ophthalmology. Don't take this lightly. This can be very serious. Why do you think they always check your pupils after an accident or in an emergency. It is a good indicator of brain involvement. If your pupil is blown (meanng it is large and doesn't constrict and become smaller in brighter light conditions) this could be urgent. If I were you I would show up TODAY at a ophthalmology clinic and demand to be seen. Do not see an optometrist. It needs to be an ophthalmologist. An ophthalmologist can rule out causes and refer you for care. The other choice would be to go directly to an neurologist. If you can't find someone, I would go to a hospital ER, not an urgent care clinic, but a hospital ER. They will be trained to be suspicious of a blown pupil.

Don't take this lightly. It may be that your doctor didn't believe what he was seeing. Let me know what you find out.
Thank you for your help.

Not sure the pupil is 'blown'.  It's roughly twice the size of the right one.  It does constrict immediately with light, but then adjusts back to twice the size after a moment.  When I was looking at it in the mirror during daylight, I had to cover that eye to get it to go back to the larger size because light was making it constrict.  It is still quite round, not oblong.

I am thinking it might be related to serious sleep deprivation and stress, as I had a terrible night the night before and only got about 3 hours of sleep.  Plus the Lunesta caused severe side effects including anxiety and confusion.  So that was affecting me physically.  I also took a double dose of Benedryl that night, (a few hours apart) and that can apparently cause this as well.

I am also wondering if it were something as serious as a brain bleed or stroke, wouldn't I have known by now?  I sure hope it isn't something just waiting to happen!

Thanks again-will keep an eye on it.  Not particularly fond of my Eye Doctor, but if I have to go see him I can.  Not sure he could tell me if it's neurological or not tho.
An update:

I am taking Scooter's advice and going to see my Eye Doctor this morning.

Although I am pretty sure the dilated pupil isn't anything serious, it's been causing anxiety due to worrying about it.

So I decided to check it out the easiest way and go to my Eye Doctor, who could fit me in quickly and doesn't cost much.

Will update again if I find out anything.
Another update:

My Eye Doctor was great, did a thorough exam (for this issue), even including a glaucoma repeat test.  Looked inside eyes thoroughly.  Even got out some old medical reference books to look it up--but couldn't really find anything wrong.

Since I have a head cold/possible sinus infection, we decided a lot of the symptoms I am having are probably due to the sinus thing.  Dizziness, sinus-type headache, light sensitivity, etc.  He thinks the dilated pupil is most likely associated with the sinus infection as well.  Which does make sense to me, as my left sinus area is more affected than the right sinus area in terms of symptoms.

So he checked everything thoroughly, still perplexed but came to the conclusion that most likely it was just a sinus issue.  He also checked my back charts, and found that in 1996 he had reported my left pupil being slightly bigger than my right pupil.  So I have had this before, just not as dramatic.  Currently my left pupil is about 2/3 mm bigger than the right.  So that was comforting; as it could just be physiological for me triggered by the sinus problems, stress and sleep deprivation.

He also gave me the name of a really good Neuro-Ophthamologist, if I still have the dilated pupil in a week.  He said I should check with either a Neurologist or Neuro-Ophthamologist, but then decided to give me the referral to the second guy.  So if it isn't cleared up in a week, I can go there to check it out further.  

Felt very well taken care of, and really glad I went in today!  The Eye Doctor was so nice, and seemed genuinely concerned into checking it out as best he could.  He also told me if I noticed anything unusually strange, to go see the other guy.

Thanks Scooter for the advice to checking with my Eye Doctor.  He was less expensive, and easier to get in quickly than a GP or Neurologist would have been.  And he seemed to know what he was doing.  So far I have avoided expensive tests or Doctor visits.

Appreciate the help!
So glad that you got it checked out. I have been thinking about you since I read it. Don't hesitate to make that second appointment if the pupil is still larger. Is your current eye doc an OD ir an MD?

One other thought? Do you have any eye pain or redness? Sometimes a condition call iritis can cause a dilated pupil. You are at high risk of this if you have arthritis. It is an inflammatory condition.
I don't remember the exact title of my Eye Doctor, but he's very good and I have no reason to doubt his competency.  He did a thorough exam, and even looked up old medical books trying to help.  He also gave me a very good referral.  He went to UCSD Medical School, which is very good.

No, I don't have any eye pain or redness in the eye.  I do have general headache pain, because I have a sinus infection from an URI.  That is probably causing my headache, congestion, dizziness and light sensitivity.  Now I am into the itching/sneezing part of the sinuses as well.

It isn't Iritus, that is something else that the Eye Doctor would have recognized.  That would be inflammation of the eye and the inside of my eyes looked fine.  He did also note that I had a larger left pupil in the past, which could indicate this is normal physiology for me at certain times.  No, I don't have any sort of arthritis.  Are you sure you didn't mean Uveitis?  That would involved inflammation of the eye and tissues.

Thanks again for helping.  The pupil is still pretty dilated today, Saturday and in fact it looks a bit larger.  But I am extremely sick with the cold/sinus infection, and didn't sleep well last night.  The sinus symptoms are very acute and that could very well be causing the pupil to be so dilated.  Also, it can be caused by sleep deprivation and stress which  I have had a lot of lately.
Your doc is an MD or DO  if he went to medical school. Good to know. Some people don't know that optometrists (ODs) have a degree more related to optics and glasses refracting. They refer out for eye health issues.

Yes, I did mean iritis. It is inflammation of the iris. It it usually causes headache, light sensitivity, and pupil dilation. Sometimes it is the first sign that someone has an autoimmune inflammatory disease. Many patients alrady had been diagnoised with arthritis. Many autoimmune diseases overlap and are related to each other. Whenever we had a patient with iritis that had never been diagnoised with an inflammatory condition, we referred them to a Rheumatologist. (Some of the inflammatory autoimmune diseases are Arthritis, Scleroderma (some types never effect the skin), Lupus, Fibromyalgia (suspected), and others).

If it turns out that you do have iritis, you should look into seeing a rhuem. Some autoimmune diseases have sleep disorders as a symptom, as well as neurological problems. You really have to be your own advocate because these types of diseases are often missed unless they are obvious (like arthritis).

Let me know how it goes. I am hoping for you that this is not brian issue.
Thanks Scooter;

Strangely enough I do have a pretty chronic and severe auto-immune type skin disease of some kind, which I have lived with for about a decade.  Never really diagnosed but have seen about 12 doctors over the years.

It has never affected my eyes though, and it isn't  anything arthritic.  It's more from the Immune System, causing a severe inflammation to the nerve endings in my skin.  I do need to see a Rheumatologist for that when I can, as my Derms have not really been able to diagnose and cure it or manage it well.

Funny you mentioned a Rheum--I have one all lined up, but very expensive and with no health insurance I have to space these things out.  Hoping he can pinpoint what is going on and suggest appropriate treatment instead of guessing as my current Dr. does.

I am really sick with a URI and sinus infection, and that is probably contributing to the eye thing.  It's really hitting my sinuses hard.

But I wonder if seeing a specialist for the eye might lead to figuring out anything with my skin?  I've been tested for Lupus, and all sorts of other diseases but nothing so far.  Also the sleep element is interesting added in--I just went to the UCSD Sleep Center for that, but not sure about the treatment plan.  

Thanks so much for all your contributions!  They are very helpful.  If the eye isn't better by Friday (a week after my Eye Doctor) I will probably schedule with the Neuro-Ophthamologist.  But appointments are very difficult for me right now with the sleep disorder, and just got hit full blown with the cold so I don't really want to be sneezing in the face of another eye guy LOL.

Thanks for all the helpful tips--I've been wondering if there is a connection with all these symptoms.  I have clinical depression, OCD and anxiety (GAD), so who knows.

I am also wearing off a really bad reaction to Lunesta, which I took ONE pill the night before my sleep appt. so I could make a morning appt.  It caused horrible anxiety, confusion, depression etc. and is taking time to wear off.  I still don't feel like myself.  That might be affecting everything as well.

PS:  Not sure exactly what my Eye Doctor is, but he's very good and highly recommended in the community.  He went to UCSD Med School (I went to UCSD too and know it's a good University).  He doesn't dilate for exams however.  But he really checked me out the other day.  He's probably an Optometrist, but he referred me immediately to an eye specialist if the problem continued.
PS:  Some other inflammatory auto-immune diseases are:

Guillian Barre (parasympathetic nervous system)
Myasthenia Gravis (muscles/tendons)
Bechet's Disease (blood vessels/vasculitis)
Kawasaki Disease (blood vessels/vasculitis)

(I'm a big fan of Mystery Diagnosis LOL).
any update? Is your pupil still dilated?
Hi;

I was waiting to update until I saw the specialist, but not sure when that would be.

Yes, the left pupil is still quite dilated.  It's about the same, sometimes can be pretty large.

But I also still have sinus problems, the remnants of a cold and possible sinus infection which may be contributing.  I have been waiting to give it some time to see if it clears up.  And my sinuses are still affected.  I have been taking low dose Keflex to help clear up the sinus infection, hopefully and not done with that yet.

My next step would be to see the Neuro-Ophthamologist, but it's expensive and where I just had to go to the UCSD Sleep Center (a drive) so not thrilled about that.  I did email that office to ask their opinion whether it was something that needed to be seen ASAP, or whether I should just give it some more time and see if it was sinus-related.  I haven't received a response, but just sent the email Friday morning.

Meanwhile I emailed my Dermatologist whom I have known for years, and gave him an update about all this.  Especially with the possible connection to eye inflammation and an auto-immune disease affecting my skin.  I told him I would let him know if this specialist found out anything significant related to my skin.

But my Eye Doctor already thoroughly examined my eye, and found nothing wrong inside or any signs of inflammation.  So who knows.  It can be caused by stress and sleep deprivation, both of which I have high amounts of currently.  He also seemed to think it mostly likely sinus-related, so I am not too worried about it.  Some medications can also cause it, and I take a lot of Benedryl at night.

I seem to be doing fine with the dilated pupil, being about 10 days since it was diagnosed.  Still experiencing some confusion, memory lapses, and what feels like minor cognitive impairment; but I believe they are related to the drug reaction I had 10 days ago also which caused the same symptoms.

So-waiting to see what happens this week, if the pupil continues to be dilated I will probably make an appt. to see the Neuro-Ophthamologist.  But so close to Christmas, and with a major sleep disorder appointments are very difficult for me.  I can never sleep the night before.

Thanks for your concern....

I have been in Ophthalmology for 25 years and have never heard of an oral medication, sinus infection, or even stress causing only 1 eye to be dilated. ( I work for a pharma and medical device company and manage departments related to researching surgical complications). I just checked wiith the girl in the office next to me concerning this. She has a doctorate in pharmacy. She agrees with me, that oral meds will not cause only 1 eye to be dilated.

I am not a doctor, but it is my job to investigate and help opththalmologists understand complications and work through them. If I had a physician with a patient with your symptoms, I would immediately refer to a neuro-ophthalmologist as part of my investigation.

You may also want to look up Horner's Syndrome and see if the profile fits your symptoms.

Keep me posted. I work in research but I am forever curious. Good luck.

It's in the research.  Which if you work in research, you should be aware of.

I Googled quite a bit about this, and there is quite a lot of medical research that shows factors such as stress, sleep deprivation and certain medications can cause one eye to be dilated.  Even my Doctor thought it was related to sinuses.

They can't all be wrong.
""Answer:

You may have physiologic anisocoria which is a fancy way of saying that your pupils are unequal in size. This occurs more at times of stress, especially when there's a lack of sleep. It is thought that people who get headaches often, particularly migraines, may be more prone to this condition. Don't be concerned unless you notice that your near vision is blurred or reduced in the eye with the bigger pupil. If that occurs, see your optometrist or ophthalmologist to determine the cause.""

(Taken directly from medical research).  There were also other research sources I came across that repeated the same information, also adding that certain medications can cause a dilated pupil.

Which I have done thoroughly, and have no inflammation in my eye or altered/blurry vision.  He also suggested it was probably related to the sinuses, and possibly medication as meds CAN cause one eye to be dilated.  Benedryl is on the list, he asked me how much of that I have been taking as obviously it was a possible factor.

I tend to think Doctors are more experienced than Pharmacologists and research assistants.  Unless you are a Doctor, you can't possibly diagnose someone on the Internet and even then it would be hard without their complete medical history and seeing the person in real life.

Anyway-I have a great referral to a Neuro-Ophthamologist which assures me my Eye Doctor is very competent and I am fine.  Having one eye dilated can be physiological, and benign especially in connection with stress and sleep deprivation, sinus problems etc.  I haven't had any symptoms so far living with it for about 12 days now.  And I have had my left eye larger than my right previously in the past, with no problems.

You can find much in literature that you rarely see in real life. Again, I have never seen this in relation to oral meds in the patients I have examined or in investigating visual complication cases that surgeons have referred to me.

I am not a research assistant. I am a medical professional who has worked in opththalmology for 20 years, 10 of which was in a clinic examining eyes, then training surgeons in surgical techniques and complication management in over 40 countries, including most states in the US. The last 2 years of my career have been over departments that investigate visual complications and teach surgeons what they are missing. But as I said before, I am not a doctor. If you were one of the surgeons that had contacted me concerning a patient, I would have recommended a neuro evaluation.  

You are correct in stating that the "aniso" as we call it, may be benign. It is also correct that it may not be. Anytime there is a hint of neurological involvement I always advise ophthalmologists to rule it out.

No need to update as I can see from the progression of your posts that you have worked through this question and have come to your solution. Best of luck to you and may you the answers that bring you good health.
Well if I want to update, I will.

Wanting to help is one thing.  But crossing the line to start arguing with known, wide-spread medical research and Doctors who work in the field and are very educated and experienced, is another.

When you start claiming experts are wrong, and you know more than they do-it's offensive.

I also don't appreciate questioning my own Doctors over and over, and claiming to know more than they do and more than is known in standard research.  If you truly worked in research and in all the fields you claim, you would know the things I said were absolutely true and commonly known.  My Doctor did.

Again, I trust the Doctors over people on the Internet who think they know more than they actually do.  People have a tendency online sometimes to 'make themselves feel important' by professing knowledge or claiming to something that isn't appropriate.

Happy Holidays.
You are the only person I have ever written to on this forum. All other posts have been questions, mostly related to thyroid problems. I return to this forum for answers, not to give advice. Your question caught my eye (no pun intended). I should have passed it  by. But then again, you gave me a good laugh! Good health (and sleep) to you.
Thanks to everyone who read and helped....

I will keep the forum updated whenever I am able to make it to a specialist.  (It isn't easy without health insurance).

Contrary to what certain people might think, I certainly 'haven't come to my conclusion' and still need to see someone about the eye when I am able to.  Meanwhile I am giving it some time to see if it's related to other issues.  One step at a time.  I really don't care to spend about $1,500 - $2,000 on an MRI if it isn't necessary.

And I don't consider having serious health issues 'funny', or making people laugh.

Merry Christmas everyone, and Happy New Year.

This can also be an indication that the prescription in both eyes isn't the same...as in, the vision in one eye (the more dilated one) is worse than the vision the less dilated eye. I have this problem, though it's much more subtle, and only noticeable if I'm not wearing my contacts or glasses. I've also noticed it in other people, but the fact that yours wasn't subtle might mean that it had something to do with an episode involving your brain, as has been suggested.

If your eye is remaining this way over the next few weeks...I would definitely urge that you get to a neuro-opthamalogist as soon as possible.

Thank you Jules, I am definitely considering that as my next step.

I had my eyes checked twice late last year, and again just about a week ago when I saw my Eye Doctor about the dilated pupil.  It seemed to be fine.

I will probably go see the Neuro-Ophthamologist when I have a chance, hopefully when things settle down a bit.  Hoping to wait until after the Holidays and see how it goes.  Hopefully he wouldn't be as expensive as a Neurologist and an MRI!

The sinus infection/cold virus does seem to be clearing up fairly well, so giving it some time to see what happens.  But I will make the appointment if I have to, I can't just leave a dilated eye unattended.  It is still dilated, although it doesn't seem as large as it was before.

Thanks for your help and concern!
Hey-I looked at my eye in the morning light, and it seems to be going back down!

It's still larger than the other, but not too much.  And it was rapidly constricting/unconstricting in the sunlight, sort of pulsating.  So it's very responsive to light.

Hoping this is a good sign?  Maybe it was related to the sinus thing.

Another update:

Well, the left eye is still dilated.  Sometimes it doesn't look too much larger than the right eye, but other times it is huge.

Guess I will have to see that Neuro-Ophthamologist sometime after the Holidays, if I can.  Unfortunately my skin chose this point in time to flare up on my face, which makes it very hard to make such an appointment as it's embarrassing.  I have a lot of inflamed areas (red lesions/blotches) on my face at the moment, which need to heal.  From whatever auto-immune condition I have that affects my skin.

The dilated eye doesn't really seem to be hurting anything, but I still have some symptoms of a residual sinus infection (which is going around this area); and a slight headache from that.  It hasn't cleared up completely yet.  I also still have some minor cognitive impairment/distortions and confusion, which could be anxiety wearing off from a drug reaction on Dec. 2, along with major sleep deprivation from my sleep disorder.

I guess will try to post if I ever can make it to the specialist.  I didn't think a Neuro-Ophthamologist would actually put me through a CT Scan or MRI, as he isn't a Neurologist.  But then I read on some forums that other people who went to one for similar reasons had to have those tests.  Ugh--that is intimidating, especially with no health insurance!  I honestly don't think I could cope with an MRI.  I am hypersensitive to loud sounds, and startle very easily.  I doubt I could remain still throughout the lengthy process.
Even if the Neuro-opthalmalogist orders an MRI or a CT scan, you don't have to have it done.

I had a Neuro-opthamalogist take a look at me recently, and he put me through a three-hour long evaluation (including a good 20 - 30 minutes spent in the waiting room while the eye drops took effect; though he decided to have the drops put in my eyes when the first tests he did weren't conclusive...so it might not have been standard procedure). I'm just mentioning this because it might help you determine the potential cost of visiting one while you don't have health insurance. Then again, I pointed out that I had an MRI done in the past, and the Neuro-opthamalogist asked to take a quick look at it...he didn't seem too interested in it, especially because the tests he put me through led him to believe my diagnosis was not neurological in nature, where as yours might be.

What is the sleep disorder that you have, and has it been diagnosed by a sleep specialist (typically, an ENT)? I'd be interested to hear about this, having been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, myself.
Hi Jules;

Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been checking this forum for awhile.  I didn't think anyone was posting.

Well, if an MRI were required I would definitely have to have it done, as what if something was wrong neurologically?  But I appreciate your advice.  I think I would be scared if a Dr. told me an MRI was necessary, and I didn't follow through with it.  

Sometimes you can negotiate with hospitals without having health insurance, for lower rates.  At least they now have open MRIS that are much quieter, so I wouldn't be as afraid.

But most likely I wouldn't need one.  My Derm took a look at it, and referred me to a much easier Ophthamologist that is located very close to where I live.  He's a regular MD Eye Doctor, and that sounds so much easier than having to go to a very expensive Neuro-Ophthamologist who probably would require an MRI (My Derm told me).

So that is my next step, as it's much easier to get to this regular Ophthamologist and he could do a complete eye exam with dilation which I haven't had done since I was really young probably.

My Derm thinks that my dilated pupil is probably nothing, and suggested this guy as he isn't as expensive and could probably rule it out without expensive tests and such.  Turns out my own Eye Doctor is an Optometrist, so it would be beneficial to see an Ophthamologist now.

So that's my next step, I already called to get info such as cost, etc. and it's an excellent eye care center.  They can get me in quite quickly for something like this too.  They even have discounts for cash patients.

Unfortunately, I have other health issues which are complicating making that appointment.  I have some sort of severe auto-immune skin disease, and it's been flaring considerably on my face and neck which is embarrassing to me with an Eye Doctor right in my face!  Unfortunately it's also been affecting my feet, making it difficult to walk at the moment.  So I am waiting for these areas to hopefully heal to a manageable level.  

As for your sleep question...I have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder, by a very expert (and expensive!) sleep specialist at UCSD Medical Center.  This guy is about the best in the area, and has specialized in 4 different fields including sleep medicine and pulmonology.  He's the one that discovered the dilated pupil.  (Usually it's better to go to a sleep physician or sleep center, an ENT doesn't really treat sleep disorders).

Anyway, I have a Circadian Rhythm disorder called Delayed Phase Shift, where my body clock has shifted up several hours to become backwards from normal.  Treatment is from a certain light box, that regulates the circadian rhythm and resets the body clock.  (Uses light cues to the pineal gland and the hypothalumus).  

I bought the light box which is the brand new "Bluewave technology" and the best on the market, but have yet to use it.  Unfortunately, the instructions for the light box say if you have any eye problems or issues with eye health to NOT use the light treatment until it's checked out by an Eye Doctor.

So it's quite a cycle!  I can't use the box until I check out the eye further, and I can't get any real sleep until I use the box and I can't make appointments without being able to sleep and with my skin flaring so badly.  I can barely walk right now, although it tends to heal quickly.

The standard treatment for my Delayed Phase Shift (which I've had for several years) is mainly the light box used at certain times, and Melatonin.  I can't take Melatonin as I tried it before and couldn't tolerate the side effects.  So I am supposed to be using the light box by itself.  But I can't until I make sure it's safe with the eye dilated.  This light box is much safer than most, as it is narrow-band blue light and has no UV or dangerous side effects.  But I don't want to risk damaging my eyesight until I know it's safe to use.

If you have apnea, the CPAP seems to be the treatment of choice.  They diagnose a lot of that at the UCSD Sleep Center I went to.  People have had amazing results using the oxygen at night, and it can really change your life and improve it considerably.  So if that was recommended treatment--it's worth a try.  Mine is more of a body clock issue, and needs light to reset the neurotransmitters properly.  

So I am in a holding pattern currently, waiting for the skin to heal enough to make it to the Ophthamologist (regular MD) to check out the eye.  Then if he says it's nothing serious, I can start using the Phillips M2GoLite for the sleep disorder.  It's all just a cycle right now.

Currently, the left eye is still dilated.  It never really went away.  Sometimes it seems smaller, but then other times it still seems fairly large.  It doesn't seem to be as drastic as when it was first diagnosed, when it was twice as big as the right eye.  It might just be benign meaning normal to my body.

Anyway-just really relieved I talked to my Derm (who is basically my primary physician now as I've known him for years) about the eye.  He told me about this really excellent Ophthamologist, which is so much easier than trying to see a Neurologist and Neuro-Ophthamologist.  And he probably wouldn't require an MRI being done.  The other two most likely would.

Honestly, I would be interested to have an MRI as I've never had one, but they are so expensive.  I've often wondered if there might be a neurological connection to my auto-immune disease, sleep disorder and depression/anxiety I've had for years.  I would have been afraid of the old MRI machines-but my Derm told me they have newer open MRIs now that are really great, and much quieter so that would be less traumatic.  It would be a relief to rule out anything neurological, but again I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money unless it was absolutely necessary.

I live in California; and unfortunately our state is so broke it is cutting back and shutting down state health programs, primarily for the blind, disabled and elderly.  Which means I probably wouldn't quality for Medicaid as the system is too bankrupt.

Thanks for the information, I will try to update this forum whenever I can make it to that new Eye Doctor.  I am thinking since he's really good, if I like him I may stick with him instead of my current Optometrist.  I've always felt slightly dissatisfied with him, although he's very good and really helped me with the eye thing.  It's more of a personality thing.
Dear CFiles,
Glanced thru these posts, thought you'd want to know that I noticed a year ago that one of my eyes was dilated more than the other.  I went online, and lo and behold, this is a COMMON FINDING, that many people have that and it means absolutely nothing.  But I hope you get your other medical issues straight.  Best wishes from one brain-damaged person to another.  Smile.
GG  
Thanks Ggreg!

That is my gut instinct as well.  Which is partly why I have been putting it off so much checking it out, because I am pretty sure it isn't anything serious either.  My Derm concurred.

I didn't even know I had the dilated pupil until the Sleep Physician pointed it out, so it must have been new as I hadn't noticed it before then.  But I haven't had any problems with it so far, so am sort of gradually taking care of it.

It may end up leading me to a better Eye Doctor though, which would be a nice benefit.  I haven't been to an Ophthamologist for years, I had thought my current Eye Doctor was one but turns out he is an Optometrist.

Thanks for the encouraging words!  I am not 'brain damaged' lol but much appreciated.
I'd bet that your issues are all interconnected especially if you can prove the rash you have is, indeed, the result of an autoimmune disease. Do you know which disease, or what autoimmune diseases, if any, run in your family? Given that this eye issue started recently for you, did the rash or other symptoms correlate with this occurrence? That would greatly increase the likelihood that they are interconnected.

It's all so frustrating...I guess the reason they aren't ordering an MRI for you is because you aren't demonstrating any other neurological abnormalities that are setting off any red flags in their minds. This is a good thing! I hope that one day you have the opportunity to get an MRI, if only because it's really neat to be able to look inside your own head. =) They're a bit noisy but not nearly as claustrophobic as you'd think. If you're just getting your head scanned, that is the only part of your body that is in the tube-like apparatus. They even have a mirror set up so that as you're looking up and sitting still the whole time, you can see the rest of your body (namely, your legs/feet), giving the illusion that you're staring out of an open chamber. It is open, but it's just that when you have to look up, a lot of people forget that the rest of their body isn't enclosed and they aren't trapped. It takes about 30 minutes, with contrast, and the time really flies by. I've had it done twice and it seemed so much faster the second time--I've been lucky enough to stay with my parents' insurance for the time being, as I'm still < 25 and eligible. It's great because my father's company gives a very good package. I sure need it with the rate I'm going downhill!

Keep us posted, and I hope you find your answer soon!
Thanks Jules.

Well I haven't seen any specialists yet who would order an MRI, so I don't know if it will be required or not.  I have only so far seen my Optometrist who thought it was sinus-related and referred me to a Neuro-Ophthamologist.

So at that time, I thought my only choices were the Neuro-Ophthamologist or a Neurologist.  Both of whom might very well order an MRI, in addition to being very expensive Doctors.

But then my Derm (who is also my Primary for the most part) recommended a local regular Eye Doctor (Ophthamologist) which sounded like the ideal solution.  He's cheaper than the other two, and could dilate the eyes and do a more thorough exam.  He could hopefully rule it out as anything neurological, and not make me do more expensive tests.  Although you never know--if he can't figure it out he could also refer me to someone else.

So I could still need an MRI, I just don't know yet.  I am relieved to hear the new MRIs are completely open and no longer claustrophobic, and much quieter.  I always kinda wanted one, as I would be curious if anything could be found that relates to my other issues, especially the skin.  But it's quite a luxury expense if not needed!

The skin problems started approximately 10 or 11 years ago, very suddenly.  Immediately following laporascopic gall bladder surgery.  I often wonder if there is a connection; some Auto-Immune diseases can be triggered by surgery or infections, and I had pretty bad gall bladder infections for about a year preceding surgery.  Since then, the skin has never gotten better, been resolved or gone away.  In fact, it seems to get worse sometimes and my Immune System is becoming increasingly allergic as I get older.  It isn't really a rash, it's more under the surface of the skin and itches intensely, breaking open into lesions.  I have a great deal of scarring.  The nerve endings are inflamed.  Although occasionally it will appear on the surface, but as isolated lesions not a rash.  I only get rashes/hives from severe allergic reactions.

So if there is any connection to the eye, it's about a decade late showing up.  But I am curious if someone could find a connection!  That would be nice if it was a clue to something definitive.  

As for family history; no Auto-Immune diseases that I know of in our previous family history.  Lots of other stuff, but not that.  My niece, however has IBD or Irritable Bowel Disease that is considered Auto-Immune in that the Immune System attacks the bowels constantly.  She will probably have it all her life.

We've had various other things in the family tree; such as diabetes, hypoglycemia, depression, OCD, acid reflux (which I don't really have) and an Aunt who died of a benign brain tumor.  (She died of complications following routine surgery to remove it).  My mother unfortunately died of terminal cancer called Multiple Myeloma.  (Adult leukemia, cancer of the white blood cells I believe).  There has, in fact been a great deal of cancer in my mother's side of the family; who are all of pure Italian descent and lived in a small coal-mining town which exposed them to many years of carcinogens.  Uncle died of stomach cancer, aunt died of uterine cancer, other uncle had skin cancer but is fine now.  My mother's cancer is not genetic in any way, and very rare so not likely it would be passed down.

Anyway-thanks again for helping and for your interest.  Good to have a first-hand account of what an MRI is like.  I have never seen a newer open MRI at all, I bet they are incredibly expensive.

I agree there may be some root cause to all of these issues I have currently.  They all mostly started after my mother died, primarily around 1997-1998.  No, I have never been diagnosed with any particular Auto-Immune disease, it's my own hunch.  

My Derm is really good, but tends to downplay it as some severe form of ezcema (eczema) even though in the past he told me I didn't have that.  My instincts tell me it's far too systemic and severe to be just that, and other Doctors have agreed with that.  It's not like any ezcema (eczema) I have ever seen, and I used to have regular ezcema (eczema) for years.  This is deep in the nerves, and triggered constantly by the Immune System.  It causes blisters and sub-cutaneous lesions and nodules everywhere.  I also have an extremely hyper overactive Immune System, which is probably causing most of the problems but something must be causing IT.  So I am pretty sure something more serious is going on as in Auto-Immune, especially as none of the many traditional skin treatments I have tried have worked at all.  (UV light helps a little, but doesn't stop the constant flaring and chain reaction inside my body).  The inflamation (inflammation) and itching/flaring is a constant cycle.  I don't think a day has gone by in many years without it.

So I need to see a Rheumatologist, but he's expensive too.  Just one appt. at a time.

My father also thinks there must be some root cause of all of this, and someone in this thread suggested that some AI illnesses can have a neurological component which can cause sleep disorders and depression/anxiety.  Thus the interest in an MRI (my Derm once asked me if I had ever had an MRI).

I think I just need to wander out of Dermatology for a change and try other branches of medicine.  I am thinking Rheumatology and possibly Endocrinology.  (I have theories about my Adrenal glands, as I have been told I am allergic to my body's production of Cortisol and I suspect I am overproducing Adrenalin).  I even thought of seeing a Neurologist as the skin could be triggered by something neuro-chemical.  And anxiety makes it a lot worse.  Thus if I really did have to have an MRI, it might not be such a bad idea if they examine it closely.  But so far, I haven't been to any Doctors who would order an MRI yet.
Good Morning. I just read this entire thread and I would sware you were ME writing all this. I too have been dealing with actually my Right Pupil dilated which I first noticed 3 Months ago. I don't think I would of ever noticed it had I been really bored sitting in the hospital watching over my aunt and was looking in the mirror. I had my ENT and A Urgent care doctor look at it and both said well the Flashlight test showed the eye reacted fine. I have been having awful sinus and or migraine headaches on the right side of my head. Dr just gave me Antibiotics to work with but I have been getting Ocular Migraines too. That is where I started seeing Fuzzies and then go into a headache. Anyway I will keep this Thread updated with you. I too suffer from Depression especially in the winter as well as Anxiety , GAD etc.. Usually normally it is just a little bigger than normal but WOW was I so Pissed and stressed, emotinal over something yesterday and the eye went almost double. Plus the Sinus, The dry air has me so Stuffy. Anyway. Nice meeting you and I would love to chat anytime.
To Mflan,
One time one side of my face got swolled from sleeping real hard one night on that side, and that pupil dilated up, so could be yours may be connected with the sinus deal somehow.

To CFiles,
When I read your last post, you mentioned an Aunt who had a benign brain tumor.  Got me to thinking.  A CAT scan is cheaper than an MRI, and I also hate those MRI deals, even tho they are "improved."  Anyhow, it would show if a tumor was there, so I think I'd go for that, just to sort of get that scary part of a possible diagnosis out of the way.  Also, can't recall if you visited a neurologist, but he can do some simple office tests that would suggest or eliminate any deficit having to do with your brain/eye region.

Hope BOTH of you, whenever you see a doc for whatever, continue to mention your dilated pupil oddness, just to be on the safe side.  I myself have a short list I always mention to docs as being stuff to check out for me.  I mean, I STILL think I'm a lot sicker than I already am, and that I shall surely fall out dead on the pavement in front of the local TV news team one fine day.  GG
hi - i just read the entire thread. the pupil in my right eye dilated this morning while i was putting on eyeliner - the left eye stayed small.  i'm in my 50s and this has happened to me once before - in my late 20s.  after looking up stroke symptoms and finding i only had the one, i went on to work.  a friend starting watching my eyes when i was telling her about it and my right pupil had started dilating again.  i went to an eye clinic up the street from work and both pupils stayed "normal" the entire time - of course LOL  they said if it happened again, to run right back.  i wasn't back at work 10 minutes until i went back to the clinic.  the nurse got to see it even though it wasn't as large as it had been earlier in the day.  she said the pupil is reacting to light in a normal manner.  i have an appointment for a more thorough check next wednesday.

i've had a sinus headache the past 2 days and i also haven't slept well the last couple of nights.  throw in that a bit over 2 weeks ago, i went through an incredible amount of stress at work - a situation that will take some time to completely resolve.

everyone's posts have helped me to find so much COMFORT tonight.  so to all who posted and to those who replied, thank you!

karma

hey you!!!!!!!!  we just may be the same person.  in describing yourself, you described me!!!!!

LOL x forever  karma
It's been almost 3 months now, and my left pupil is still quite dilated.  Sometimes it's HUGE.  (And yes, when I am stressed that happens too lately).  I keep meaning to go see the Ophthamologist I found, but things keep getting in the way.

But now I have a sudden new symptom.  Last day or two; suddenly the dilated eye is showing some weird, red inflammation on the lower white part of the eyeball.  The redness extends down into the lower skin fold as well.

This is VERY strange, NEVER had it before and rather alarming.  My left eye looks bloodshot for no reason.  I've never seen it like this before.  Mostly beneath the pupil, but very red and inflamed.  

I have been having a series of skin reactions to various shower products I've been trying (I can't seem to find a soap I can tolerate); but as soon as I figure it out I stop using the products.  I just had reactions to 5 products in a row (soaps and body washes/cleansers).  I am currently just taking water showers to give my Immune System a chance to recover.  Wonder if this is related?  My face and neck were affected by the allergic/chemical reactions I've been having.  Some were rather acute.

Guess I better get to the Eye Doctor soon.  I am actually really glad I waited this long, as if I had gone in with just the dilated pupil he might have thought it was nothing.  But with the sudden added symptom of some pretty bad inflammation in the eyeball, it could be a different diagnosis that might have been missed earlier.

Thanks everyone for your posts, and for reading all this!  
Sorry it's been so long, quick update.

Still haven't had a chance to get my left eye checked out with the Eye Doctor.  I really need to, the pupil is still quite dilated and the eye has been inflamed several times.  But problems with sleep and skin flaring make it exceedingly difficult to make that appointment.  Very frustrating.

Have a great referral to a very good Ophthamologist, but just can't seem to get there.  Hoping things improve soon, this is starting to alarm me.  First diagnosed December 3, 2008 and still dilated.  The fluctuating inflammation in the eyeball comes and goes, can sometimes be painful and quite noticeable.  But this makes me think probably not anything neurological, but more related to inflammation in the eye.
I too have recently had similar problems. I was looking in the mirror one night and noticed that my left pupil was bigger than than the right. Strait away i knew something was wrong and remembered reading about the possible brain functions connected with pupil change, so I went to A and E (accident and emergency - the British version of ER). They were skeptical (as the eyes now appeared normal), but one doctor urged me to see my GP. I did so and he immediately referred me to an eye specialist. After some basic tests she ordered a CT scan just in case, and they found a medium size aneurysm on the right side of my brain...

Right now they cannot connect the two, as the aneurysm is too low to be putting direct pressure on the nerves concerned with pupil contraction etc, but they remain open to ideas.

I have always had sinus problems, multiple infections etc, and recently have had ongoing mild infections, which i failed to treat and rather ignore, but after reading the above post it could be seemingly possible that my pupil dilation is due to sinus issues rather than brain issues. In any case, i would URGE you to have a CT scan. I was lucky that a doctor picked up on mine, and that everything is free in the UK. This was three weeks ago and i am no waiting on a procedure to explore the exact dimensions of the aneurysm and possible treatment options.
hi my name is tia marshall 7 weeks ago i had an accident and broke my c7 vertabrae in my neck today i woke up and my left pupil was dialated and the other was normal..iv been geting bad pain in my left side of my neck and head..i went to the hospital strate away they did a scan on my brain but found nothing so they sent me home and told me if it gets worse or doesnt go away then to go bak and see them. what do u think this could be ?? will my pupil go bak down to normal
thankyou
Reading Cfiles posts has made me think a lot about what is going on with my own body.  I am 36 yo male dentist.  I first started having a heart flutter they diagnosed as supraventricular ectopic beats in 2002 when I was going thru boards.  It wasn't tachycardia but would feel like my heart would pound really hard then skip a beat before getting back to its normal rythm.  Very unsettling, takes your breath away and causes lightheadedness.  They put me in a monitor for a month for the diagnosis. (idiopathic and benign).  Meaning they don't know what caused it or how to fix it but it won't kill me.  They put me on a beta blocker and chalked it up to stress.  The syptoms (symptoms) went away but reoccured every once in while.  Fast forward to 2008, just opened a practice, 1 child with one on the way, dizzyness starts, tension headaches (like a band around my head), and one day I noticed one pupil dialated more that the other.  Still responsive to light and constricts normally.  GP diagnosed anxiety and put me on several meds that I just could not take due to side effects.  Tried cymbalta, zoloft, and several others that made me nauseous and sleepless.  Now take .5 mg lorazepam per day and seemed to work OK.  Saw Opthamologist and he saw nothing wrong, especially with normal dialation (did have lasix surgery that didn't seem to be a factor).  GP decided to do CT scan justi in case and came back inconclusive.  I do have a brain but nothing wrong that they can see.  Symptoms subsided.  March 2009 noticed red splotches on my skin on my back.  Waited a couple of weeks and did not go away so went back to Derm. who diagnosed me with Morphea, a rare skin disease that spread throughout my entire torso, back to front.  He gave me triamcinalone cream and said there is nothing I can do about it but wait until it burns out.  Whatever that means.  Decided he was a quack as it got worse.  Went to a second Derm who confirmed first Derm was a quack and did not treat it aggressively enough.  Put me on Vanos Cream, Prednisone, then Methotrexate.  The Spread seemed to stop but the scarring it left is still quite there and I can't bring myself to take my shirt off when I'm at the pool with my kids.  Hey ,at least it hasn't spread to my face like some poor people,  yet.  This summer has been quite depressing due to this, having always kept in shape and feeling like I was in the best shape of my life.  Then my shoulder starts to hurt, more than usual.  MRI found degeneration b/w C4,5,6 with slight bulging of disks.  Will need surgery, not now, but eventually.  I guess being a dentist does this to your body ,but I am way ahead of schedule with this kind of degeneration.  Now we come to present day.  Along with depression comes what?  Stress.  That's right...anxiety, heart palpatations, shortness of breath, light headedness, pupil starts dialating in right eye more than left-a lot more, blood pressure spikes (which I never have high BP) and i have a panic attack ending up back in the GP office.  R U kidding me.  Now I'm off all caffine and on a beta-blocker......@36 yoa.  I find it hard to believe that all these things are not connected reading your posts.  From theCfiles to tiadrop, feel like I have so many of the same things going on.  It has to stem from this autoimmune disorder taking its toll over years and years.  Either that or stress can now cause skin disorders.  Sorry to go on a rant but I don't know what to do to make things better.  
To TheCFiles,am wondering what the latest is with your eye?
Well google brought me to this post. I am going on about 3 months now with my left eye dilated roughly twice the size of my right eye. When I close my right eye and look out of my left, anything that is about 1-2 feet in front of me gets all fuzzy and my eyes tries to focus, but it can't. I cant feel a slightly weird sensation when this happens. At the time this started happening I was not getting enough sleep and I figured that once I got about 8 hours a night again it might go away, well it hasn't and I am REALLY worried. Is it a brain tumor? Is it diabetes? I have no idea and the worst part is that I flat out cannot afford to even see a doctor about this. I keep thinking it's just going to go away after a certain good night's sleep, but here I am about 4 months later and I look in the mirror and it's still dilated.

I guess posting this is kind of therapy for me. I don't know what to do because I am dead broke, unemployed (can't find a job ugh) and I have no money to see anyone about this. God I hope this goes away. I can see crystal clear anything 3 feet past me, but get any closer and that left eye just can't focus, right eye is perfect though.

Not sure what I should do or what this could be.

:(
Same things were going on with me.  I had a CT scan and MRI this week.  No stroke, no tumor.  Eye doc says it is Adei's Syndrome.  Happens to females mostly at the onset of 32.  It's kind of like there is a lesion on one of your ganglion nerves in your brain.  I was assured there is nothing life threatening about it, however; it can never fully be explained.  Idiopathic.
I had the same problem today. (That's why I researched this article.) This morning, I woke up, and didn't notice a thing. Maybe I just ignored it, like my subconcious like to do, or maybe it wasn't there at that time. I went to school and my friend asked me what was wrong with my eye. She showed me, and I started freaking out. My right pupil was dilated most of the day. Only now, ten hours later, is it looking normal. I'm afriad to find that it happens again. I'm glad to have read this information. It might be that I'm not getting much sleep. I've always had a sleep problem, like my dad. It could be the medication I'm taking because it's sinus season. However, I only took one dose of it, and I've taken it before. I'm not sure, but this article gives me a little insight. I was just wondering, if the problem persists, should I consult a doctor? Like I said, I do have trouble sleeping. I am just curious.
im 21 and had one eye dilated after i crashed a bike into a sandwich board trying to get onto the curb and out of traffic when I was about 14, yes kinda ridiculous, but it was still a hard hit.  I was lucky to be in the vicinity of a medic who had responded to someone else and she looked at my eyes since i hit my head. One was more diluted than the other and she said some words very similar to what cfiles stated.  I had never noticed the dilation before and I had never hit my head and become very worried like that before.  nothing ended up being wrong with me, i was a little bit shooken up and disoriented, but thats it.  Now, i am having identity crisis and trying to gather up who i am and be myself amidst what feels like adversity.  Through my fear, anxiety, perception, etc. I have noticed my left eye more dilated than my right eye.  It has not bothered me since my memories of the results when I hit my head, thus I did not think anything of it, but I wanted to learn some possible interpretations to see what makes sense. so on the positive side I think no issues/problems, of course I am not a doctor or neurologist even though i have been to the hospital enough times in my life already, to pick up a checklist board and start directing patients.  After reading most of what people said I believe that the issue may be a result of stress. Stress causes a lot of issues in the body, a concept that is similar to a computer, you can overclock it to make it run faster, but if you do not do it the right way your whole system may be messed up until fixed.  Thus, figure out where your stress is coming from and that may be an alternative to solve your problems similar to eye dilation.
Good luck, don't freak out either way, you will learn it doesn't really help out in any aspect that I have noticed before.
-kellen
the negative note: would be a result from stress, among the other endless possibilities known and unknown. I reread what i posted and it wasn't very sound but I think my main points were put across. good luck
I'm 17 and my right eye keeps dilating bigger than my left. It happens randomly, every 7 to 8 times a month, for the past year. Do I need to get this checked out? Because from what I reserched, this doesn't look good at ALL. I'm really scared.. Other sources say it can be the cause of a brain tumor, Horner's Syndrome, Head tramma... Someone please give me some answers??? :( I'm a really worried teenager here...

~Lana
Any updates?

I'm curious to hear if anyone has had any luck finding anything on this.  I have found that my left eye is not dilating normally in dim light.  It constricts normally in regular light.  I also have a pain behind my eye, near the top of my eye lid.  Kind of a pressure.  I've been researching like crazy and have not been able to come up with anything.  MRIs have ruled out MS and Neurologists have rules out Adies and Horners...  I still have not received any answers from any of the professionals I've visited.  
It has been very comforting to read these posts because I do not feel alone.  

Thank you.
I had the same problem I have eye issues and headaches too, They told me Optic Migranes (migraines) can cause it "basically a migrane (migraine) with no headache" but I had the MRI and a MRA everything has turned out fine. My Dr called it a 80's eye..? said alot of people have it.. Idk but its been about 6 months since I noticed the dialation and my eyes have looked much more normal latley. It could be something serious in some cases is what theve told me but could also be completley normal
i'm 24 and my left eye has been dilating and covers bout my whole eye.. i have constant fussiness in my head and goes down my neck.. i keep a cronic (chronic) pain on my left side of the head and i see things much closer out of my left eye than my right.. i've noticed that some of my words do not come out clearly anymore and at times my comprehension is slower.. i'm a single mom of 3 small children and don't have the finances to go and see doctors or afford an ER bill.. my options are slim to none.. so, if there's anybody out there that has gotten their issue checked out please let me know so, i can somewhat acknowledge what i'm dealing with.. thanks  
i also have constant ringing in both my ears that doesn't go away.. drives me insane..
TheCFiles,

Have you ever been diagnosed with a mental disorder? After reading your posts I am quite sure that the cause of your maladies are psychosomatic. I would suggest that you take the word of your cadre of expensive doctors and not pursue physical causes. Instead, I might visit a psychiatrist for a thorough evaluation.

Personally, I suspect BSC syndrome.
Any updates?
For a week, I've been suffering from what I thought was a bad cold.  I woke up during the night last night, and noticed mucus on my left eye.  I washed it off and went back to sleep.  The next morning I noticed that the eye was bloodshot, so I put in so Opcon A, popped two Pseudoephedrine for the cold, and went to work.  When I got home, my left eye (the weaker eye) was VERY dilated and still bloodshot.  Both eyes have been developing "eye boogers" today.  

After reading this thread, I did a "light test", and the pupil will restrict when light is shined at it, so it does react. But when light levels are the same in both eyes, the left pupil is always larger.

I have opted to not wear my contact lenses until this issue is resolved, switching to glasses.

I scheduled an appointment with a doctor tomorrow to look into my sinus infection.  I plan to ask him about my eye, even though he is just a GP.

And to complicate things, I had a blunt force injury to my head last Thursday, front center, just above my forehead.  I didn't notice any symptoms of concussion, so I didn't see a doctor, but it cannot be ruled out as a possible cause.

I'm finding this quite stressful. I hope you recovered from this issue.
Not an Optometrist?  I know many optometrists who would be very capable and qualified to diagnose this, and quite a few ophthalmologists that I wouldn't trust with it.  You must work with a severely biased MD.  I agree this is a serious condition and a person is better off in a clinic that is equipped for it.  So don't go to the mall doctor, but a good reputable OD in a private practice is going to be just as good as the MD who will give you 7 minutes of his precious time.
My left eye has been very "teary" the last couple months.  Starts when I get up in the morning and becomes normal around noon.  Today I looked in a mirror because I noticed my vision became blurry in the left eye.  It is dilated twice as big as the right eye.  No pain, no sinus infection that I know of but very concerning. No signs of a stroke either.  I was up all night with a sick dog so I'm hoping it's lack of sleep.  tomorrow being Sat., I doubt that the eye Dr. will be in.  If I still have this on Monday I will call and get an appointment.  Thank you all for posting.  You have relived my worry.

For those of you experiencing auto-immune disorders; and also for the general population; you might want to have your vitamin D levels evaluated.

In the northern hemisphere (north of a line of latitude between roughly  . . . San Diego and Atlanta), winter sunlight is typically not strong enough to allow the vitamin D complex to synthesize in one's skin.  For a few weeks, you burn your reserves of D, stored in fat cells and also the liver, but then, D is so minimized, you can only use it for it's basic necessities (bone stability, some core functions).  

Because D(3) is greatly utilized in the immune system, it plays a strong role in mitigating auto-immune disorders.  Try to get your D levels to between 40 & 70 ng/ml (roughly: 4000 - 7000 iu/day for an adult male, 4000 - 5000 for a female).  Other benefits include: increase energy, mental clarity, possible immune-system benefits.  Scientific American did a great write-up a few years ago.

D works best when combined with co-active compounds, such as calcium, magnesium, zinc, and likely co-enzyme Q 10.  Your grocery store probably carries generic versions of most of these.

Before beginning any program of supplementation, speak with your doctor.  

A general rule of thumb is: for every 1000 iu of D taken, an adult's ng/ml rise by about 10.  If you're concerned about overdosing (as D can build up too much due to some medical conditions), a good start might be 3,000 iu/day, to try to get your ng/ml to at least 30.

Good luck - it has made a world of difference to myself, friends, and family, up here in NY.  I think it's becoming more well-known if you type the topic into a search engine.
This is an interesting site that i seem to have stumbled upon with some great information and dialogue. I found this site buy looking up my specific symptoms and voila many people in the have eerily similar symptoms. I am a trained and certified PSW (personal support worker), honor role and at top of class. I got to work for three months after graduation before my health took me away from my job that i so loved.  After reading several of the postings I realized that I had to write something. Especially after the comment i am writing this post on. Here goes in a nutshell: I am 35. Several years now ive been through several specialists, received diagnosis, had surgerys and have started new symptoms in past six months or so. My diagnosis: DID ( degenerative disc disease) severe damage in c2-c3-c6 and c7, Osteaoarthritis in my spine, spondliosis of my spine. I had many years of  petite-mal seizures and received many xrays, MRI's and for my brain. They found a cyst on my pineal gland (2.6mm) which they say they want to keep an 'eye' on it.(LOL) Im suppose to go every 6 months to have other MRI's so to watch the size. If it gets too big they will "see" what they can do at that point to remove it. I have a sensitivity to particular lights they make me dizzy, nauseated and sometimes cause a vertigo like sensation in my vision. I find it hard to walk up and down stairs sometimes due to that sensation. I also, in January last year started breaking out in a skin problem. One doctor told me hives, i took the benydril and nothing, it kept getting worse and bigger and spreading ( not spread by itching though, as it was very itchy/burn at times ) The hive like beggining turned into blotches and some into lesions. This happened like a systemic infection as for it seemed to break out in sections at a time over the course of a year and now i have scarring and it still happens. June 2012 i had an exam with a specialist who was actually enlisted to look at my tissue problems in my breasts and low and behold he asked to check my abdomen...well after the ultrasound and dye exray/or mri i cant remember..they found an 8.7 cm..ya i said cm cyst on my left kidney. Which has been removed. Now within the last two years ive had no seizures but in the last six months ive noticed my left eyes pupil is larger . I have been getting a pulling sensation in my eyes and started to watch my eyes in mirror, the left pupil would be very large during the eyepull and id be extremely fatigued instantly. I havnt told a doctor yet about the eye issue as im so busy working with doctors to deal with one thing at a time. And im about to go for a full hysterectomy just after march sometime due to many complications and scarring from past surgerys as well a s much more. I cant write anymore thankyou for your time.ill be sure to check in. LivLovLaff always
hello, having same problem right pupil dialeted now for 2 weeks and doesn't respond to light am very light sensitive and killer headaches. Going to have MRI today.