Neurology Expert Forum
Pinched Nerve C5-C6

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pinched Nerve C5-C6

Since December 13th I have had this excruciating pain in my left arm.  Dr. gave me anti-inflammatory, and tylenol 3 with codeine and sent me for x-rays.  Also ordered an MRI which I am still waiting for.  I've seen a chiropractor several times and also been to physio 3 times so far and will return for both.  I also at home put ice on my neck and altenate with heat.  At home I do some neck gentle stretches.

Nothing is helping I am still having so much pain.  Any advice?
Tags: c5/6
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If your arm pain shoots down from your neck, one possible cause to your symptoms is a radiculopathy, or pinched nerve. The spinal cord is encased by bones called vertebra. Nerves start to form as they come off the spinal cord and exit through holes formed between the vertebra. If a nerve is compressed on as it exits through these holes, particularly in an area called the nerve a radiculopathy results. The compression could be due to arthritis of the spine or due to a herniated disc or other lesions. The symptoms include pain at the level of the problem (i.e. neck or back etc) and pain that may radiate down the arm or leg (depending on where the problem is). In more advanced cases, muscle weakness or sensory symptoms such as tingling or numbness may occur. A radiculopathy is often diagnosed based on history, physical examination, and MRI of the spine, which it sounds like you are scheduled to have. Treatment is often with anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, and physical therapy, with surgery needed in only a minority of cases if the pain persists after several weaks and or if weakness/numbness or bowel/bladder symptoms occur.

Continued followup with your physician is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Thank you so much now I'm not as worried as I was.  Again thank you tomorrow I have my MRI and I will continue physio.
P.E.