Neurology Expert Forum
Pins and needles on left side

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pins and needles on left side

I've been having this problem lately where the sole of my left foot gets pins and needles when flat on floor. It happens when using the elliptical machine at the gym or just sitting with feet flat on the floor. When my left elbow is resting on the table, my left wrist and hand start to get pins and needles and it feels like circulation is being cut off at the elbow. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks very much for your time.
Although the symptoms sound more like a nerve problem, there is a possibility that poor circulation could be the cause of your symptoms. This could be the beginning of a peripheral neuropathy (a problem with the nerves to your limbs) which can be caused by a very long list of things such as diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency, protein and electrolyte disturbances, alcohol (with longstanding use/abuse), certain medications, etc... ANother possibility is a syndrome called hereditary neuropathy and liability to pressure palsy which is a certain type of peripheral neuropathy that occurs with compression of nerves such as when you lean or put pressure on it and is passed on thru families. Talk to your family doc and let them take a look at you. If there is something objective on the exam or the symptoms get worse/persist, consider a neurologist for a formal neurological examination,. An EMG may help figure out what this is. Good luck.
once every couple of weeks i get a knumbness down my left arm and hands tingling on left hand side of face feel as though my hands are burning can this be something to do with one being over weight and 2 my hormones