Neurology Expert Forum
Post Concussion Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Post Concussion Syndrome

I've been having post concussion syndrome symptoms for the past year and half from a concussion received from a biking accident.  These symtpoms include brain fog, poor reading ability, difficulty concentrating, slowness in mental processing, and dull headaches.  CT scan, MRI, and EEG were all normal.  I've tried anti-oxidants, Straterra, cranio-sacral therapy, triptans, yoga and more with occassional short term relief, but the symptoms keep coming back.

I live in Massachusetts and I'm looking for a Neurologist in the Boston area that can help me understand what has happened to my brain, and if there is anything that I can do to improve my symptoms which seem to be getting slightly worse as time goes by.

Who can I consult with?

I am not aware of a specific doctor in Boston who specializes in this. However, Massachusetts General Hospital is one of the best centers in the country and should have a physician available to evaluate you. I would recommend calling the Neurology department and asking if they have a specialist who can see you. One name that comes to mind is Martin Samuels. He is a well known and respected neurologist. Good luck.
Hi, i seem to be having similar problems as you, for about the same time (year and a half, or more). I can 'feel' something in my head that i can only describe as a fog, i have difficulty concentrating, my memory has deteriorated to where things i was certain about a few days ago seems uncertain at best now, i have trouble remembering names even right after someone has told me. It seems my mental processing has deteriorated, and my personality is just not the same. Social situations are strange, as i seem that I am 'not all there'. Maybe we can email each other about our symptoms, and any thing that might be able to help each other. ***@****. I hope you feel better
I've had some recent success with a Upper Cervical Chiropractic specialist.  I'm not sure this will solve all my PCS problems, but after just one session with Upper Cervical Chiropractic specialist I've had significant reduction in my symptoms.

From the X-Rays taken, my Atlas (C1) bone was 11 degrees out of alignment, and my neck has a signficant reversed cervical curve.  Based on my research these could definitely contribute to my symptoms.  My chiropractor has re-aligned my Atlas, but isn't doing anything directly for my reverse curve and feels that with Atlas back in alignment the rest of my neck will follow.

Often times a head trauma and result in mis-alignment in the upper cervical area.  If you have mysterious symptoms following a concussion, I would consider consulting with a Upper Cervical Chiropractor.  There are several organizations to check out including IUCCA, NUCCA, and Atlas Orthogonal.  I chose Atlas Orthogonal because there was one located in my area.