Neurology Expert Forum
Pressure behind my right eye

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pressure behind my right eye

Six years ago I was diagnosed as having hydrocaphelus.  A shunt was fitted, this gave me problems for 2 years until the old shunt was replaced with a new one which was slower draining.  I was fine most of the time, only the occasional headache or eye pain.  I have begun getting the pressure behind my eye more frequently, three weeks ago the pressure was so intense I went to the emergency room.  They transferred me to neurosurgery where they did scans, spinal fluid tests, blood test all showed up clear, so they got an opthamologist to do tests, again everything was clear.  I was discharged from hospital not knowing what was causing the problem but knowing what was not the cause.  Although releived that there are no tumors or problems with my shunt I would realy like some suggestions as to what may be the cause of the pressure behind my right eye. Please help, Thanks.
Thanks for the question and sorry to hear about your problem. Hydrocephalus (increased fliod in the brain) can be caused by many things so I am not sure why you developed it in the first place and what your current age is? Some patients can have increased spinal fluid pressures and in those cases pressure can build up around the optic nerve causes papilledema. On eye exam you would expect to see some swelling of the nerve and it would usually affect both eyes. You might want to ask if your spinal fluid pressure was measured and was it elevated. You might also want to see a neuro-ophthalmologist who specialized more ifnneurologic related eye problems. Sometimes eye pain is referred from the neck area and patients that have neck pain feel pressure in the eyes so that is also a possibility. If you are over age 60 you should have a sed rate and CRP done looking for inflammation and a problem called temporal arteritis. Some medications can also cause eye pain including Topamax which can induce glaucoma so you medication list should be reviewed. Clearly this is something that needs follow up w your neurosurgeon or neurologist and I wish you the best of luck. GS-MD
When I had pressure behind my eye I went to see my Eye Dr. She told me to start taking Sudafed for sinus. Trust me, the pressure was gone after a while fo taking that medication . Sometimes it will returned, but as soon as I will go back to the sinus medication it's dissapearing. Nothing will hurt you if you will try it.Good luck!!!!.
Interesting... I been having this pressure right above my left eye. I went to the doctor for it and gave me a "sinus cocktail" shot and it made it feel better but it wasn't completely gone. Should I make sure first everything is normal with a neurologist or should I just go ahead and take some of those meds?
From what I remember my doctor told me to try first the medication, before she will send me to see other doctors. Trust me my pressure was so bad, that I was loosing my sight in my right eye,i was affraid that was having cancer or God knows what in my head. But after taking simple Sudafed PE my eye was getting beter untill the pressure stoped and my sight came back. I really can't tell what is wrong with you I'm not a doctor but this is my personal experience nad each winter when it's comming back i'm just taking the pill and it's going away.
Did they actually check your eye pressure when you saw the opthalmologist?  Sometimes they don't in the emergency room.  Hydrocephalus should not cause pressure behind one eye.  Sinus headaches are a good thought.   You do need a good scan but also dopplers of your carotid arteries as sometimes pain from carotids can go into your eye.  An MRA of your neck and brain would be even better as carotids travel behind the eye.
usually i get pressure in my right eye and it feels swollen when i touch it...usually these coincide with extreme physical activity in the heat or menstration and those are the only time i get headaches so those are all my headaches
It may not always be that simple as taking sudafed. October 2005 I was seeing my GP for what I thought was a sinus infection and pressure around my eye. After three courses of antibiotics and nothing clearing it up he sent my to an opthamologist. Come fo find out I had stroke in my left occipital region which was causing the pain and problems with my eyes.
A related discussion, Parkinson's disease was started.