Neurology Expert Forum
Question about mri results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Question about mri results

Question about mri findings. I've been having recurring episodes of vertigo since '03, as well as numbness and tingling in feet and legs and hand, and balance problems. EMG testing only showed slight slowing in nerves in left arm; neuro felt this was not conclusive. This is the second mri; first one in July only showed some signal abnormalities. This is from last month:

There is evidence of a small focus of hyperintensity along the undersurface of the genu of the corpus callosum. A linear focus of increased signal intensity is identified in the periventricular white matter of the right parietal lobe, measuring less than 1.0cm in diameter and linear in configuration. It is oriented perpendicular to the long axis of the lateral ventricle. Similar linear foci of hyperintensity are identified in the periventricular white matter of the left parietal lobe. There are at least three such small linear foci measuring less that 1.0cm in diameter in the left parietal lobe. There is no evidence of signal alteration in the brain stem or cerebellum.

Impression:
Four focal areas of hyperintensity in the immediate periventricular white matter and a small focus of increased signal intensity in the corpus callosum. The findings are suggestive of demyelination.

I know that MS is a possibility, but are there other things I should be considering? I see my neuro in a couple of weeks and was wondering if you can recommend questions I ought to be asking. Are the signal hyperintensities the same as lesions?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
I can only interpret on the basis of what you write, and have not seen the scan, but if interpreted correctly

the findings are suggestive of MS, but not diagnostic - to make the diagnosis of MS there has to be demonstration of demyelination (or damage to the myelin insulating sheath that helps nerves to work properly) in more than one area and at more than one point in time (seperated by at least several weeks)

So your neurologist will need to tie things together with your history and your current and previous MRI scan

Other possibilites could exist such as ADEM (acute deyemlinating encephalomyelitis, which is really a single non-recurrent form of demyelination, not likely if you MRI was abnormal in the past), sarcoid, vasculitis, Behcets, ministrokes from high blood pressure, migraine
but from the description, the abnormalities are suggestive of lesions typical of MS - do not be disheartened though as you still need to see your neurologists and get a full interpretation of the results, and what should be an answer and effective treatment for your symptoms
Good luck
Thank you very much for your response - I appreciate it!