Neurology Expert Forum
Severe numbness in ball of feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Severe numbness in ball of feet

I have severe numbness in the ball of each foot. Toes are barely affected. I have had this for over 3 years and seems to slowly be getting worse. I have also had problems with involuntary muscle twitches in my eyelids, arms and legs over the same period. My doc has done blood work and ruled out diabetes. He suggested magnesium and calcium supplements and increased water intake. This has helped somewhat with the twitching, but the foot numbness has remained constant.
Is this peripheral neuropathy? MS?
Thank you for your help.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
   The symptoms that you describe are non-specific, but I can give you a range of possible causes and suggest some more testing.  The feet are the site of the longest nerves in the body(they travel from the brain, down the spine, down your leg, and into you feet). Thus if any process affects all of your nerves (the feet are the first to show signs of the damage).  Common processes that damage nerves are diabetes, alcohol, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems, some cancers, and genetic conditions,etc.  In addition to processes that affect all the nerves, some causes specifically affect the region of the feet.  The lumbar spine (lower back) can degenerate causing discs to protrude onto the nerves traveling to the feet.   I would suggest that you have some additional blood work including glucose tolerance test (3 hour GTT), B12, TSH, Monoclonal protein analysis, Hu protein and paraneoplastic panel, ESR, CRP, ANA, RPR, vitamin E level, and copper level.  I would also have an EMG (nerve muscle test) to evaluate the health of the nerves going to you feet.  I would also suggest an MRI of your lumbar spine to evaluate for any structural lesion (disc, tumor, spinal stenosis etc.)  If the above are negative, I would suggest a lumbar puncture to evaluate the spinal fluid for any signs of inflammation or cancer cells.  I do not think the symptoms that you describe are consistent with MS.
I hope this has been helpful.
I was diagnosed with systemic lupup at the young age of fifteen.  Slowly but surely flares came and matured.  During a flare three years ago my left leg was numb from the knee down with numbness in the right hand.  My doctor prescribed neurontin which helped out with the hand but, not the foot.  Needless I've stopped taking the neurontin but, I am constantly in pain and think it is coming to the left foot.  What if anything can I do to ease the crazy feeling in my feet?  The pain wakes me up at night.  I can't even wiggle my toes.

I have that numbness in my feet behind my toes....  it used to drive me crazy... couldn't sit.... couldn't sleep.....  my neurologist put me on Topomax (topamax)....  I still have the numbness....  but it doesn't drive me crazy like it did.....   if you come up with something better let me know...