Neurology Community
Severe pain in right hand and arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Severe pain in right hand and arm

My daughter has been to many differnt types of doctors. She has been to a hand doctor, neurosurgeon,rheumatologist,3 neurologist phyical theapy and a spine doctor. When she writes in school she experinces alot of pain in her hand and arm. The pain is mostly in her wrist area, but it also goes up her right arm. It is so severe that it is to the point that her right arm gets so tired she cannot even write. She had lyme diease when she 11 and this effected her memory as well resulted in really bad headaches. She is now 15 years old and no doctor has been able to figure out what is causing the pain in her right arm and hand. She is gettting really discouraged because her teachers have to give her notes. It even is begining to hurt  when she types. One doctor mentioned that she had a tremor of intention in her hand and arm. She has had a CT of her cervical spine, a MRI of her brain and neck as well as a EMG test. If you have any suggestions of different doctors we should see or if you think you know what it could be please let us know. Do you think this could be the result of neuological lyme. Thanks for all your help. Nancy
You didn't mention carpal-tunnel. I'm sure they've considered
that? Not everything in the wrist/nerves/fibers show up on
scans. They usually do rule-out scans w/ chronic pain like you
described. My guess is that she's rt-handed. She may be using
computer alot w/o a wrist-pad w/ mouse. She may be holding a
tight grip on that pencil but find it amazing they've come up
w/ zip! What you described is what I have twice a week. It's
a pinched nerve in wrist in combo w/ arm bursitis. The wrist/
fingers move the tendon where the bursa sets on top running up
to elbow. One way to ck sometimes is: hold both arms out/palms
down/then turn thumbs toward floor/look for flabby-muscle type
tissue just below elbow. Other arm should be flatter. When mine
hits, I'll drop pen on bad days & then re-use holding in a
different grip. Ea. keystoke will inflame this burser-pad till
it's sometimes shooting. Best treatment, cut toe off long sock
that fits snug & insert a flat ice-pak over 'top' of arm to
reduce pain/inflamm. Also, they sell wrist velcro brace w/ metal
to wear to bed so wrist doesn't curl while asleep & takes
strain off tendon. Find at drugstores. Get all copies of her
scans/bloodlabs for hm-file (free upon request by law). Read
test result yourself & good to have yrs later to ck progress.
If it still is problem, see Orthopedist for eval. & maybe a
cortisone injection. Small changes will help yrs later. This
must be awful for her at 15. If you just watch the wrist bend,
you can see muscle pull on flat of arm. That sends msg to the
tendon/bursa. It sounds like tendonitis! Dr's can't miss that.
Thank you very much!!
When reading your post you described my symptoms of carpal-tunnel and tennis elbow. Just as previously stated...brace/splint the wrist and lots of ice.She also should get a keyboard "Foam Rest" when using the computer. It reduces strain.The splint should be worn all night. There is a compression glove available that gives good wrist support. Any drug store has the glove. Good luck.
The severe pain in my right arm makes it difficult to go to sleep at night.  Should I roll onto my right side during the night,  the pain  awakens me.  It's between the elbow and the shoulder, nearer the shoulder and on the outside of the arm.   Although I can still pull the lat. bar down at the exercise center, I cannot raise the five pound dumbell sideways with my arms straight and the back of my hand on the upside.  I now pour the coffee from the coffee pot with my left hand\arm.  Could this be bursitis?  Aleve, Ibuprofin, Tylenol P M,  have done nothing to alleviate the pain.  The heating pad and the ice pack intensify the pain.  Is there a remedy for this pain?
Thank you
Spearfish
If the pain is very near to the shoulder, maybe you have a slightly torn rotator cuff. I had that and it definitely limited range of motion pulling things up laterally as you mentioned . I went to physical therapy. They gave me exercises for internal and external rotation of the shoulder. I am having bad problems with overuse of my hand right now. An infection which is reoccuring. I think it is perhaps related to the rotator cuff tear. Maybe a circulatory issue. (Although I am also a diabetic so that is a little hard to diagnose. Anyway,  It's been two years and it is almost healed, but sleeping on my side at night was the hardest part for a long time. I would put a pillow under my armpit to bouy up the shoulder and ease the pressure. Good Luck! I would go get seen by a doctor and diagnosed if it were me. My orthopedist recommended only using the theraband exercises and no free weights through the healing process. The shoulder is surrounded by a lot of really delicate soft tissue and muscle. Those tissues are at risk as there are no bones actually holding your shoulder in place in its socket.  Sincerely, TieDyeJan.
I know this sounds stupid and out there, but it's just a suggestion.  My daughter and my boss's son had a hard time with writting.  Their hand hurt so bad without really telling us that they lost interest in writing and doing homework, etc.  It took me two years speaking with the principal and her teacher to get them to understand the issue at hand.  We got her a grip for her pencil.  I know it's something little and stupid, but believe it or not it really improved her writting, hand placement and helped with the hurting.  If they hold a pencil incorrectly for a long period of time it will really hurt their hand and muscles and they will need therapy.  Just a suggestion.
Hi there,

I am just curious about something.

My ex-girlfriend has had on and off pain in her right hand (shooting) and on her right arm. She usually gets it when she is highly stressed, and when she is doing alot of cleaning.

Can somebody explain this to me?
I think i have something similar. The pain feels hurts the most in the center of my palm and wrist.It feels like the muscles  and the nerves are throbbing or shaking. And i feel the pain shooting up and down my arm. I have always been able to crack my knuckles and other joints (neck, elbow, toes, ankles) repeatedly since i was younger. Even my younger sister can most of those things. My doctors just told me it was a form of being double-jointed.

but the pain in my wrist happens every now and then when I'm writing or when I wake up. I am 18 years old, a college student majoring in Art- Graphic Design and film. So i do draw/ paint a lot and i do use computers a lot. My boyfriend(since hes an athlete) taught me how to massage  my arm (stuff they teach him when hes sore)and hand and that seems to help A LOT! But as soon as I stop it hurts again. Eventually the pain goes away, but I scared.
Could this be a form arthritis(SO SOON). i need my hands and arms are my future? My doctors say its nothing serious... and i dont know what special test or stuff to ask for...

Please help Me
I work alot and I here lately I have been waking up with my right hand and right arm sleeping to a point that it is very uncomfortable .So I set up in my bed to move my arm around.It seems to help some.But it still keeps me from sleeping well at night.The hurt does raidate up the shoulder and neck.I don't sleep well.I toss and turn all the time when I am trying to go to sleep.My mind has a hard time shutting down so I can go to sleep. Does anyone do this?
The pain in my right hand is out of this world.It gets really numb feeling and feels like it's going to explode.It's mostly in my fingers.It wakes me right up and I can't seem to find any relief.Do you know how to help this pain?
recently there has been some discomfort in the right side of my chest.....nd also tightening of my throat.....with it there is a pain in my right shoulder.......i cannot decipher wat's happening......so please help......

Sorry to hear your daughter is having this pain.

Since she has had an EMG, this rules out the peripheral nervous system.

This sounds like it could be related to the central nervous system and/or her past Lyme disease.

Maybe you could talk with your primary care doctor or neurologist about some of the medications out there for nerve pain i.e. gabapentin (Neurontin), Lyrica, and Cymbalta.  This might give her some pain relief.  The Cymbalta is also used for headache and neuropathic pain.

This might be worth a try for your daughter.  I hope she feels better soon!

terri
I have severe pain in the left hand, Morning I can't even lift my hand up so
severe pain. I had been to bone specialist we told me to do blood test,
x ray etc. but everything is normal.

Please advise.
x ray etc. but everything is normal.

Please advise.
I have severe pain in my right forearm and sometimes into my hand. It does not feel like stiffness!  It is an intense pain!  A pain that feels as tho I have stuck my arm in a bucket of ice!  That kind of pain. But gets so intense that it wakes me from my sleep!  Its not constant but when I get it, it lasts 3 to 4 days and comes and goes throughout the day!  Any suggestions?
I'm having similar problems with my right arm and hand.  It seems to start as a shooting pain down my arm, then my hand feels like it's swollen and alternates between a tingling numbness and excrutiating pain.  My hand doesn't appear swollen, but even holding a pen to write puts me in tears.  I've tried the wrist cocks for carpal tunnel, and it doesn't appear to be helping at all.  The doctor gave me Indomethacin for the pain, thinking perhaps it might be arthritis, but it doesn't help the pain, and only turns my stomach.  Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
Beating my head against the wall.
i'm not a doctor, but the exact same pain that you are describing is the same exact thing i'm experiencing. it hurts to hold a pen or pencil & i can't even stretch my fingers AT ALL because the pain feels like something inside my wrist & thumb area is ripping apart. i've been suffering now for 2months & talk about a splint or wrist brace, they make me hurt worse.when i wore a brace i experience my thumb & wrist completely locked up to where i had to pull my own fingers apart because they where stiff & the pain is UN BEARABLE to the point of it brings tears to my eyes. . i looked up so many things & my symptons sounds like it can be numerous of things such as, gout, rumotor arthiritis, tendonitis, carpel tunnel.. first it started in my left wrist & thumb area & my doctor gave me predinisone injections & it releived it for a few months but now its back in my left wrist & thumb & also more severe in my right wrist & thumb its a different pain.
Ihave same thing, have you got any replies? it hurts to bad  to type this msg . IM going on weeks, cant work, im dying this pain is so bad..