Neurology Expert Forum
Strange feeling in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Strange feeling in head

I have had this problem for a few years at least, but recently it is becoming more noticeable.   The movement of my forehead (raising eyebrows, crinkling forehead)   feels like stiff rubber in my muscles in my forehead.   Like thick rubber or sticky glue,  and sometimes I get the feeling in my eye movements and feel slightly dizzy when moving my eyes.   Also, it feels like my forehead is drooping.   But,  I can tell you for sure it's not really drooping, and there is no actual problem in cranial nerve movements.
  I have also had occasional peculiar sensations sink into my nose,  tongue, lips and inside mouth...feels numb, but not really numb like the skin is numb,  just a peculiar sensation in these areas.  But the rubbery sticky feeling in my forehead movements is the one that's always there.
One year ago, I had an MRI of the brain due to frequent headaches, and nothing showed up in the brain.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The constellation of symptoms you are describing may be attributed to a connective tissue disorder. The connective tissue of the body is made of two major components: collagen and elastin. Elastin is important in returning tissue to its original length – like a spring or rubber band. It is found extensively in the skin. These two structural components may be injured or altered by an inheritance pattern or through an autoimmune process (i.e., the body attacking itself).

It is reassuring that you have had an MRI of the brain that was apparently normal. Hopefully, it was with contrast and the fifth cranial nerve nucleus was closely evaluated by the radiologist, as meningiomas, for example, in this region can cause unusual sensory changes to the face.

I would suggest you follow up with your primary care physician. It may be worthwhile to be evaluated for an autoimmune process and connective tissue disorder. This would include simple blood test (e.g., ANA and ENA panel) and clinical examination. If anything unusual results from these tests, a referral to a rheumatologist would be appropriate.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
For example, one thing if I raise my eye brows and hold them raised for 10 seconds,  then release,  the sensation changes and usually the feeling in my eye movements (stiff eye movements left and rigiht)  and I get unsteady gaze/dizziness in my eyes.
I see this was posted last July, has anything happened since? As I have been diagnosed with chronic migrane (migraine) ( I have a severe headache day and night for 4 months.but the feeling you describe in your forehad and especially the sinking feeling in your nose is exactly how I would describe the tenseness and funny feelings in my face. And as it has been 4 months I am desperatly trying to find anything that might help me as I can do nothing but lie in bed with severe pain. So if you could give me any information on how things went if you followed this up it would be greatly apprechiated.