Symptoms caused by HSV 1 & 2
Dear Doctor,

I've been diagnosed with HSV 1 & 2.  I took Vatlrex 500mg twice daily for 20 days. While on Valtrex I had tingling and itchy sensations on my face. Stopped taking Valtrex because it cause burning patches around my mouth.

After I stopped taking the medication I've develop more symptoms. Is this a side effect from the medication or is because of the Herpes Virus? I've had tingling, itching on my face. Twitching in my legs,arms and body, Heat sensations in the lower part of both legs. The muscles twitch (Fasciculation) is on going through out the day. The heat in the legs as well. Is HSV 1 & 2 damaging my nerves?

My stress level has been pretty low so I do not believe this is from stress. Any advice?  Help please!
Hello Mango 324,

My symptoms sound a heck of a lot like yours. I too have HSV 1 and 2. After an HSV2 outbreak over the summer, I started having some strange neurological symptoms. I have 2 brain MRIs, bone scan, MRI of the cervical spine, all which have been negative. I have also had an evoked potentials test and VNG, both negative. There was one abnormal reading on my spinal tap, which is inconclusive for MS. I have fasciculations, especially at night, numbness in both hands, especially in the morning even when I don't sleep on them, and tingling in all extremities, even in my face. My Epstein Barr titers were extremely elevated and there is a strong correlation between this and MS. Please go and see a neurologist so that you can at least rule out some major things. I am still looking for answers and don't seem to be getting anywhere. This all started in July of 2008 for me and I seem to be getting worse, especially at night. I can't sleep at all at night and after seeing 11 doctors ( 8 of them specialists), I feel as if I am being told to go home and wait and see by the neurologist. This really ***** big time! I hope you get to feeling better soon, but please go and get checked out!