Neurology Expert Forum
TIA's? Cat scan? Accuracy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

TIA's? Cat scan? Accuracy?

posted here before with burning sensations on left side of body and now documented weakness on left side.  I keep having episodes that involve mostly left side but occasional patches on right side. I am different because I am both left and right handed.

I wrote to you for your opinion of MRI (non-contrast) done on 2/26 (two weeks after major episode 2/12).  Prior MRI's (with the last one contrast MRI) showed neither of those foci of ischemic orgins.  You said possible mini-strokes or small vessel disease.

Had another episode yesterday but resolved itself in less then two hours.  Was sent for a standard CT scan (no contrast) two hours after it had resolved and was told that nothing showed.  I spent 7 1/2 hours Saturday at Urgent Care to be sent home and told no stroke, take baby aspirin and blood tests were normal.

I am still struggling with the VA and my doctor for appropriate medical care and they keep telling me nothing is wrong because my blood tests are normal.  but I am going through these episodes several times a week now and not sure anymore what to think.  They want to blame the PTSD and depression and I believe there is more going on. This is making me feel so confused and not sure what is going on.

My questions are:  1) how accurate are (no contrast) CT scans for ischemic TIA's; 2) would TIA's show up blood tests as something abnormal; 3) is there anything that can mimic a stroke or one sided symptoms? 4)is there anything that can cause the nerves to flare on one side of the body but not the other; 5) should I becconcerned about possible TIA's?

1)With respect to strokes, CTs usually are good for showing prior strokes very old or recent (within last 1-2 days), bleeds, or signs of acute stroke (within few hours) if the size of the stroke is substantial. Technically, TIA's do not show up on CT as they are not really a stroke which causes permanent damage in a region of the brain. Some people think of it as rather a warning stroke.Specialized MRI techniques usually done at major academic centers (called perfusion/diffusion imaging)can show changes with TIA's.
2)no
3+4)seizure, stroke,and migraine can among a number of different conditions. Low blood sugar also.
5)yes, depending on your age and whether or not you have stroke risk factors such as high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol problems, smoking, and heart disease. High homocysteine is also starting to be thought of as a potential risk factor.
I'm 40, and had a big tia about 12 years ago.  I had a temporary vision loss episode in 1994.  Mri showed venous angioma in  left frontal lobe. in the past 6 months I have begun to have more vision attacks in my left eye.  I have another mri tomarrow.  Does anyone have knowledge on what kind of medicine they cantreat me with? I don't have seizures.  I know that surgery isn't performed because of the drainage of the blood from the brain.
A related discussion, possible tia? was started.
A related discussion, what is it was started.