Neurology Community
Thoracic Syringohydromyelia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Thoracic Syringohydromyelia

Ok I just got back my MIR with contrast results and Thoracic Syringohydromyelia is what I am suspecting but I need someone who can confirm it. I have to actually wait until the doctor see me in my next visit which is almost a week. i need to be prepared to take it like a trooper.

My readings are simple and straight forward:

INTERPRETATION: Again noted is a focus of abnormal T2 prolongation within the central canal of the spinal cord centered at th elevel of T6-7. This measures approximately 2mm AP by 2mm traverse by 16 mm craniocaudad and is best seen on image 9. This does not demonstrate pathologic contrast.

There is scoliosis of the thoracip spine, the convexity to the right the apex at T5-6. However this may be secondary to the patients positioning. There is no evidence of facet joint arthropathy.

Conclusion:

Abnormal signal is seen within the central canal of the spinal cored centered at the level of T6-7 consistent with an ara of syringohydromyelia. There is not evidence of pathological contrast enhancement Thereforre this is likely idiopathic in nature, This is less likely secondary to adjacent disc protrusion.

CAN AN EXPERT HELP! Radiologist? Neuro Surgeon? Thanks

Iris
Hi....I am not a dr, but have a related condition called chiari malformation...do u know if u have this as well?

Ur condition is a syrinx that developed in ur central canal....if it had been outside it would be called syringomyelia...many times they r too small for a shunt or stent to drain the excess CSF that fills the cyst like cavity.
But being in the central canal..it can be even more diff to drain....I am sure ur drs will want to see if another related condition is responsible for the development of this syrinx.

Be sure to see a specialist that deals solely with this condition or related conditions like chiari or syringomyelia...do not rush for surgery get several opinions.

We do have a forum here that deals with syringomyelia and chiari http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc

Good luck
"selma"
I am scheduled for an mri this tuesday for several nausea and they want to make sure my brain is not the culprit. I have never had an mri and was wondering if the mri with the contrast mae you have nausea. I had a ct scan with the dye contrast and instantly felt nausea and dry heaved non stop for hrs. if you could give me any advice that would be great......
Hi...many do have reactions from diff things like the contrast used...make sure to let the dr know u had this reaction...there r diff types of contrast and mayb they can use something diff for u.

Good Luck
"selma"
I don't know about MRI results but when it states "consistent with an area of syringohydromyelia, does it mean i definitely have or does it means that further studies shoud be made? I am freaking out, I don't want to be paralyzed!!
I would say more studies r needed...again, a report that is with the MRI is the opinion of the radiologist...the NS will review the films with out reading the opinions of the radiologist to make their own determination....it sounds iffy to me and a possible way to get teh NS to look at it closer.

I pray it is not syringohydromyelia

"selma"
I will ask the Doctor, I did fell in ice a year ago, I wonder if these are concequences of this condition. Thanks again!