Neurology Expert Forum
Tingling in left three fingers

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling in left three fingers

Dear doc
      I was wondeering if you can help me with a problem I have. About a year ago, I experienced a stiff neck for about a week. Most stiff necks go away after a day or so, but this one lasted for a week on and off. I was reaching down to pick up something and it appeared as if the object shocked me. My first three fingers on my left side started to tingle. They tingle whenever I am sitting with my hand on a table or sitting and driving with my hand on the steering wheel. Any time my hand is in that L shape formation. Also if my hand is in my left pocket standing. It does not tingle any other time. I have recently gone to a chiropracter. he took xrays and said that I have a subluxation on c7, possibly a bone spur or herniated disc. He has been adjusting me, but it is quite early to see if it is making a difference. I would like to know your point of view on the subject. [1. When do I know if chiro is not working][2. Should I see a neurologist and what can he do for me][3.Should I see a orthopedic and can he do anything for me?] I also forgot to tell you that I get a small tightness[knot about the size of a half dollar]in the neck inthe area of c7. This tightness gives off small pain. Well thats about it. I would like to know your thoughts on it, if you can. Your best educated quess on what is happening is greatly appreciated.  Thanks greatly
                                         Lou. F.
I am not sure if by the first three fingers you are counting from your thumb or pinky, in either case it is clear that you have a problem with a pinched nerve in your neck which is causing symptoms in the area of the hand which is supplied by the relevanyt nerve root. This need to be investigated soon.
I would suggest that you first see a neurologist and document the exact anatomiucal nature of the problem by means of an EMG and at that point an appropriate referal can be organized.
I would not wait around to see if manipulation helps , the first step is defining the problem precisely,by means of MRI and/or EMG then treatment should begin depending on thge outcome of these tests.
Dear doc,
     Thanks for your help. It is my thumb,index, and middle finger that tingles. Should I go to the neuro first, and if so what is a EMG? and can a pinched nerve be corrected? Would they have to operate? I hear sometimes after operation that you still could have the pain. From your point of view can a pinched nerve become unpinched with the help of a neuroloist or orthopedic?
                                    Thanks  Lou.F.
Hi Lou, if its early onset, sometimes occupational or physical therapy works very well to correct nerve compression problems (either in the neck, shoulder or further down the arm).  Once you have the testing done and its figured out where the problem is, maybe try some therapy before considering the surgery option, unless tests come back really severe and immediate surgery is indicated.  Therapy may really help address some of the issues that might be causing problems for you too, especially work habits and postures.
A related discussion, tingling in 3 fingers was started.
A related discussion, Tingling & Numbness was started.