Ulnar nerve pain
Hi my husband had an ulnar nerve transposition 5 years ago and it is a work comp case. He has been to to doctor several times during this period. He didn't experience any pain before the surgery at all, but since the surgery he has had constant, severe pain. He had an MRI done that didn't show anything wrong and a nerve conduction study done that showed nothing was wrong as well. The doctor acts like he thinks my husband is faking it, and he is not. I was wondering if there was anything my husband can do to relieve the pain??OR If there is another test that can be done that might show what is going on or why he is in so much pain and agony?
Hello Dear,
The results of the surgery are generally good. If the nerve is very badly compressed or if there is muscle wasting, the nerve may not be able to return to normal and some symptoms may remain even after the surgery. Nerves recover slowly, and it can take a long time to know how well the nerve will do after surgery. Some people will have some permanent areas of numbness around their elbow or forearm as a result of surgerythe complications are-  recurrent compression., excessive scarring, local tenderness , elbow flexion contracture:
  Refer http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069,http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/subcutaneous_transposition_of_ulnar_nerve      

Best

I myself am now 6 weeks post-op from ulnar nerver transposition surgery. Prior to surgery I experienced pain in my last 2 fingers and hand but nothing in my elbow. My elbow simply locked to the piont I had to force it to bend from time to time.
Post surgery I have had nothing but pain that I can not get relief from in any way. I just had my 2nd follow up appointment with the doctor and upon explaining to him the sharp pains I am experiencing his reply was "I have not had anyone tell me that before."
I believe your husbands pain because I am experiencing it myself. Could you please tell me his status and what has happened since your last post?

Thanks!!
Chris
I am having tingling and numbness in my left arm for about 2 months. But now, my left little finger is remaining numb all the time. For the past 4 days, I am experiencing a new kind of sensation in the little finger. I am having a kind of ring-tight feeling. A type of sensation that resembles the presence of a ring in the little finger. Sometimes the tight feeling becomes unbearable that I have to seek temporary relieve from hot burning ointment. The relieve is  very slow and temporary. I had the nerve conduction test taken. The electromyogram had not defined my pain. But it only indicated different shapes of graphs. The attending neurologist adviced with medications like : celebrex, nerobion and nerotin. He adviced me not to stretch the nerve too much as it will cause lots of problem. I asked him that the natural tendency and texture of the nerve must be designed to be elastic in nature. But he had asked me not to acquire lots of traction and pressure around the region. That wil relax the surrounding muscle and nerve, which will enhance a faster recovery.

Narain
email : narain_10***@****
date : 28 Feb 2010